Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some advice on a Mercury flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcnut223, Feb 19, 2015.

1. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Hey guys

I have s line on a 50 Mercury flathead , running last fall when removed from the car

Should I go for this or wait for a ford?

What advice can the flathead experts give me ?

Oh and I Don't have head numbers

Thanks

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424398331.156159.jpg ATTACH=full]2841009[/ATTACH]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. The Mercury flathead is more desirable than the Ford flathead because it has a 4" stroke. And if it was recently running I would go for it.

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Agree--go for it!

4. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Thanks

How can I visually verify that it is a mercury ?

5. Slopok

Slopok

Don't wait too long, someone else will grab that in minute. Does the trans come with it to? Even more reason to grab it as everything will match up.
    That's a Mercury carb for sure and a 4 blade fan. Some heads will say Mercury on them.

6. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Yes it has a tranny

Shifter is setup for 3 or 4 on a tree

Not really what I was looking for in a trans

7. A running flathead won't stay around long...go get it. Probably only way to be 100 percent sure is to check stroke. All indications are it is a Merc, in the pics.

8. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

If the heads don't say Mercury they will say "8CM"

Only sure way is to see if it has a 4" stroke and agree with Slopok that outward appearances sure say Mercury on this engine.

Attached Files:

9. Since it was recently running,pull a head and measure the distance the piston travels from the bottom of the stroke to the piston being all the way to top of block.Usually the Pistons will have a "dome" that will extend above the block and the edge of the piston will be flush ot slightly below the edge of the block.This distance should be 4 inches.Even though there is only 16 cubic inches difference between Ford/Mercury engines,there is a "real" difference in the power and drive ability of a stroker(Merc with 4 in stroke) on the street or the track.Mercury cranks by themselves usually command $250-$350 by themselves depending on condition and availability.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's hard to see from the pictures, but from the colors on that engine, it has either been rattle-canned with silver paint or or may possibly be a Canadian version with aluminum heads and intake. If so, I'd be ALL over it.

11. skoh73

skoh73

I scored an 8CM last year with the Merc heads that have the Merc man logo on them. Really glad I did. Hope to get to it this year.

12. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Don't buy it. Just send me the info and I will contact the individule and properly scold him for bothering you with such an obscene offer. No charge for my service! g

13. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

My experience lately is that 3out4 flatheads are seriously cracked running or not.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Exactly. Running means little to nothing. Plan on having to do a full rebuild sooner rather than later and pay accordingly.

15. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

It depends on how much the dang thing costs man. It came out running, that doesn't mean it ain't cracked all to hell. And if it is a Mercury and has the 4" crank how do you know that it's good either? People keep paying crazy prices for these old flatheads only to find out they aren't worth the time to tear um down. I finally learned after years of disappointment tearing these greasy ass things apart that the smart money buys one that has be magnafluxed and pressure tested. Yea, it could a good one, I wouldn't count on it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If the price is good, it's good. Doesn't matter if it's Merc or Ford!

Most important thing is: is the block cracked beyond repair?!

The value of this thing comes down to the block, and wast case scenario would be, over paying for junk block and a bad Ford crank. And end up with a boat anchor where the only thing salvageable is heads and ignition drive.

But Merc crank is a major score! Gearbox ain't bad and that's not a bad mill, it's a late 24 stud. Go lad, go!!

17. alchemy

alchemy

Are you going to tell us the asking price?

volvobrynk likes this.