Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Choosing a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by longhorizon, Nov 30, 2014.

1. longhorizon

longhorizon

I've been kicking around the idea of building an AV8 for some time, a la the Tardel book. Yesterday I looked at a local 1929 Sport Coupe in pretty rough shape. What I didn't understand is the transition between the cowl and cab - it's almost as if the cab is a box, mounted behind the cowl. It's not a smooth line from radiator to back of car. Is this unique to the 'Sport Coupe'? Is it not a 1929? Lastly, what kind of work is involved in converting this to a roadster (I see the door would need to be changed at a minimum...) Any advice, comments, suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

longhorizon

2. 55chevr

55chevr

Converting a coupe or sport coupe to a roadster is not a good idea. They are very different bodies. The door tops look incredibly crude when this is done. The 28-29 design evolved from the Model T. That is where cowl transition comes from. 30-31 evolved into the 32 and looks quite a bit different. If you want a roadster, there are plenty around.

jmiller1918 likes this.
  3. longhorizon

longhorizon

Thank you. Much appreciated. Definitely want a roadster so will begin to look around. Thanks again.

4. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Tons of threads and opinions concerning conversions with the sport coupe. Windshield treatment from sport coupe to roadster is where a lot of them look odd. Post a pic of what your looking at.

5. If its too rough to build, find a roadster. If not, build a hot rod spot coupe. I recall one on the cover of Rod & Custom back in the 70's. It was green, full fendered 4 banger but a killer car. Tim

6. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Wow! I remember th R&C sport coupe that timwhit mentioned. Was chopped - I think. And it had the very rare aftermarket trap door side panels like Chevy used instead of louvers. And wasn't the banger a Cragar?

7. It can be done.....plenty of sport coupe and coupe aka coupsters running around.....hell there's a guy making a 32 ford out of a Beetle around here.....I recall one running around where the guy bent and welded exhaust pipe around the cab to smooth it out and flowed nicely into a 40 dash, cut the windshield post off the body....a little metal work and do what ya like..

8. So how's the cabriolet different?
    I haven't had the chance to study one up close and personal. image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  9. missysdad1

missysdad1

December 1 2014 2.jpg new rubber 4.jpg Here's my take on this: If you have a really nice Sport Coupe don't cut it up. Sell it and buy the roadster you really want. But...if your Sport Coupe is shabby, don't hesitate to make a coupester out of it.

I don't know who did the conversion on my car, but not one in a hundred would ever notice it's not a roadster if I didn't tell 'em. There are many detail differences, of course, but none that jump out and shout "cut down coupe" except for the doors. Surprisingly, nobody seems to notice that they're longer.

So, do what your conscience dictates, but don't sell the coupester conversion short. It can be done, and done well. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  10. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

The sport coupe does not have a folding top. I think it was just a cheap coupe. It had coupe doors and it looks like a folding top but the top is just fabric stretched over a frame but it doesn't fold. I don't know if its appeal was that it looked more "sporting" or perhaps because it might have been cheaper than a coupe. The problem that a lot of guys have with converting closed cars to open cars is the loss of Model-A aesthetics. Of course, a lot of guys don't care about this and may not even know about this. And some of these conversions show creative design and excellent body work. So, I guess it's up to you.

11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The sport coupe from R&C was Joe Mac's car ,it had a Fulton hood on it; kinda like '32 Chevy style. Also had lock ring Kelsey's and a hot ohv 4 banger. A very neat car. I've always thought sport coupe's look best left, as is. I'd suggest holding out for a real roadster if that's what you desire.

12. K.L

K.L

Find yourself a real roadster and leave the coupe for somebody that is looking for a coupe.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Here's a factory photo of a sport coupe. There was a simpler version, too, that diid not have the landau bars and which had a trunk instead of the rumble seat. Notice the full coupe door.

Attached Files:

14. carmuts

carmuts

The simpler version was the Business coupe. In 1928 it did not have oval quarter windows, in 1929 it did have the oval quarter windows. Also the roof material was black. Rod

15. Frank: Yes!! You are right on all accounts...per my not so great memory.

16. Longhorizon: A thread was just started about one of these that showed up at donut derilects this morning.........hooray for the internet. Also, I really wanted a roadster but I wound up with a cabriolet..check out the build thread. Have we helped or muddied up the water!!! Tim

17. On the horizion...here is a pic of the mag. May of '70 DROOL!!!!!!! Tim 001.JPG

waxhead and bowie like this.
  18. Sorry mate but gotta say i noticed the doors before i even went back and read your post. Maybe its because every time i jump in my daily driver to go out i walk right past my roadster thats sitting next to it.

Nice car, don't get me wrong.. but i'd pick it straight away.

As far as the question of the thread is concerned, i would keep a sport coupe a sport coupe.. and if you are looking for a roadster keep hunting.

Theres a ton of differences off the top of my head.. the cowl b pillar is different where the windscreen bolts on (roadster has removable posts, sport coupe doesn't).. the doors on a coupe are longer.. the rear quarters are shorter.. Even if you change the cowl and chop the doors it'll still look like a chopped down coupe with a different cowl.

Just find a roadster if thats what you want..

verde742 likes this.
  19. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yes, this is the kind of elitist response, though rare, that the OP will have to get used to hearing if he chooses to build a coupester from his Sport Coupe. It comes with the territory, so if the OP is thin-skinned he'd better build his car the way he's told rather than for himself.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  20. Dang! that's so nice, if I didn't already have my coupe, I mighta built one just like that! Sweet car. :)
    -Pat

21. It has nothing to do with being elitist? I just don't understand why you'd hack the shit out of a sport coupe which is fucking cool in its own right.. to make a roadster? When you could just find a roadster instead?

Or on the flip side, get a sport coupe and build it with a removable top.. that way you get the best of both worlds.

verde742 and wex65 like this.
  22. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Build it how you want it end of story. I heard it all before with one of my '55 Chevys (when built up as a street freak) when I would take it to a show.............

23. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Hey, there's nothing sacred about a body. We chop them, channel them, section them, add and remove details and more. Now maybe you ought not do this to the Queen's Rolls or the Maharajah's Duesenberg but everything else is fair game. Do your own thing! Now go do it !

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  24. 36Delux

36Delux

Here is a Sport Coupe I built several years ago. Not many around that haven't been cut up to try and be something it's not. It's a unique body style, enjoy it. Scan0006.jpg

25. 36Delux

36Delux

This is where I started, to get that yellow Sport Coupe. Pretty ugly! A challenge is just an opportunity to hone your skills. Scan 1.jpeg Scan 1.jpeg

26. NORSON

NORSON

In '57 I bought my first car, a '31 spt. cpe. I was 14 and was reading the little books and dreaming of roadsters. A lot of guys were hacking up Model A's in the '50's, but I couldn't do it. Sold it to a "rich" kid who's father was going to help him restore it. Still can't cut em.
    Norm

27. snot275

snot275

Cabby's have fixed windshield posts and windows that roll up. Roadsters have none of that.

OP, look up the Sport Coupe that the Long Beach Cav's built. I can't remember which club member, but that thing is fucking BEAUTIFUL! If someone could post a pic of it, that'd be rad.
    I, personally, started with a Sport Coupe but always wanted a roadster and just couldn't find one. When I did find one, I stopped mid build and went for it. It's almost done now, 2 slow parts collecting years later. Point is, build what you WANT FROM THE BEGINNING. It'll save you a shit ton of money in the end and honestly, our opinions of what to do with your cash and style/taste mean absolutely dog shit. Listen to these guys when you have fab and history questions, for sure, (I did/do!) but don't bat an eye when we try to tell you which car is better and why. Find the car you want and go for it full bore. Good luck man!

jmiller1918 and ROCKER77 like this.
  28. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

sport coupe cavaliers.jpg I believe this is the one Snot was refering to..its pretty bitchin!!!

29. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

sport coupe.jpg
    I always had a soft spot for the sport coupes. After i get done with my tudor i will get myself a sporty coupe aswell. I really dig this one too...