Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1939 vs 1940 Chevy Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duffymadness, Feb 17, 2015.

1. duffymadness

duffymadness

Anyone know if the front sheet metal and grill from a 1939 Chevy Coupe are a direct bolt on swap to a 1940 Chevy Coupe? Someone in town is selling a nice 1940 Chevy Coupe but I'm not a huge fan of the grille, I like the 1939 grille better.

2. That's a good question. I know 39 and 40 frames are different widths but I can't imagine how that would affect front sheet metal. Even if they bolt up to the cowl differently, I'll bet you could redrill fender mount holes. Back of the hood top and side panels always looked the same to me. 40CHEVYANDROCKYSMALL.jpg

3. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Quick answer is no. Both are pretty much years within themselves.
    I'm sure you could make it work.....but why. Spend time/effort and find a '39 coupe if that's what you like.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. won't work without a lot of work, don't think it'd look rite either in my opinion.
    ...I have a bunch of 39 coupe parts for sale if anyone needs such.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. duffymadness

duffymadness

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sound like a little more trouble that it is worth.

6. There are still lots of '39 Chevies out there, both Coupes and Sedans. Like others have said, there's a lot of difference between those two yrs.

7. No, both years are stand alone.