Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT-Anyone Build a Garage to Look like an Old Barn?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDan, Jan 26, 2006.

1. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Recently bought a house with a few acres of property and I am wanting to build a fairly large shop on it. Probally 40x60. I am kinda toying with the Idea of making the shop look like an old barn. I live in an area with some pretty fancy shacks, so the county would probally have a fit if I threw up a regular pole barn.
    I have seen some new metal buildings that resemble gamble roof type barns, but cant find them on the internet. If anyone knows of a company that sells prefab "pole barn" type buildings that have a style that resembles a old style barn, send me the link. Also if anyone has built anything from their own plans etc... post some pics if you have any.

Thank's in Advance

2. Southfork

Southfork

Look into the Morton Buildings. I haven't had them build one for me or anything, but I've seen their brochures and some of those designs they have look like fancy horsebarns that you can even have built with gables and/or dormer windows. They are steel over wood framing. Very nice looking.

3. 5window

5window

Morton's a good company-they use local contractors-my boarding kennel is a Morton building and has held up well. There are other contractors-maybe AgWay? try this link to look around : http://www.mortonbuildings.com/

4. The question is, is that okay to be fake?

Sorry, someone has to ask.

5. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

We did, but it was stick built by a local contractor. It looks great - this summer we're gonna paint the "Flying A" logo on it. I also have a set of 1930s gas station lights to mount on the outside.

Now if Dad will just let me build a pump island...

7. 5window

5window

My buddy's garage has really neat looking doors that appear to be the old T&G wood types with old time windows that open from the center and are hinged on the sides-but actually are powered overhead units. Yeah,it's fake,but it looks like the real thing and they won't sag.

If you want,I can find out more infor-cost,manufacturer,etc.

8. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Thank's for all the info... Post some pics of your shop bigcheese , sounds bitch'n.

9. DrJ

DrJ

Build a barn.
    Make the stalls big enough for cars.
    Done.

Don't build it in a "City"
    Barns and "Farm houses" look real outof place and "fake" in an urban setting.

10. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

I live in the outskirts of the city... an area that used to be all farm land until subdivisions started popping up everywhere. There are still some places with acreage and some real farms around... so it wouldnt be totally out of place.

11. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a barn, just not an old one. I live in suburbia and the neighbours probably think it looks like crap, but I didn't build it for them. One very nice thing about this style of garage is that you can store a shitload of stuff in the attic.

Attached Files:

12. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

front

Attached Files:

13. Mutt

Mutt

14. mine is shaped like a barn:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I need to get some new photos now that it's done.

15. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

My dad built his shop like an old barn. It is a 70 x 70 with a 30x70 work area down the middle and seven 10x20 garage bays down each side. The front door opening is 14X14 (I think), the rear has a roll up door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the inside (before it was finished). It is built on 2 ft centers out of 2x8's ....overkill, but cool. The overhangs are designed to be tear-aways in the event of high winds (the side walls go all the way up to shingle height, the overhangs attach to the side of the walls)
    [​IMG]

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

have one that is an old airplane hanger from the twenties...that was converted to a barn

[​IMG]

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Not that it's twenties style, but the airplane hangar makes me think - gosh, I'd like a Quonset hut as a shop. Those used to be super cheap to build, probably not anymore, though.

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought that a quonset hut would make a real cool shop. Make up a brick facade and make the front of it look like an old garage and let vines grow all over it.

Last time i drove through texas, i swear there were quonset huts about every 5 miles.

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think they were real common right after WWII (along with tons of other stuff we'd like for our rods, right?). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they were prefab and probably a lot of them got sold off as surplus. Farmers loved 'em. Some overburdened colleges even used them as dorms and instructional buildings for all the guys going on the GI Bill.

Trivia: The Quonset hut is named after Quonset, New Jersey.

20. 62fairlane

62fairlane
    from Dayton, TN

I started lookign into this since it looks like I am takign a job as a reber engineer on a dam construction project (my first REAL job) and moving to a dirt poor area of the state so am looking into maybe buyinf some property and putting up a garage/apartment to live in next year or so. I saw a couple floor plans where the first floor had s lone stall or two divided off from teh rest which would be nice for storing finished projects in to keep the shop dust off them.

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I just installed this type into my garage.
    They run about 400 a piece.
    I found that I could build a pole from scratch like this for the same prices of a prefabbed pole from Morton and the like.
    I just moved into this...tools cars, projects and all this weekend.
    I finally feel whole again. i've been spread out in garages and storage units of two counties for 2 years.

Attached Files:

22. Here's ours. If your interested I can send you some details.

Attached Files: