Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Nash Rambler Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D_Lazaris, Oct 11, 2010.

1. farna

farna

Great! I've been following and printing something in my little AMC magazine, wondered if I was going to have anything for the next issue!

2. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Did a little work tonight to get ready for the thrash we are going to do this weekend.

Cleaned the Nash out (currently it is being used as storage for my Model A stuff)

Started to clean all the seats and panels. The headliner is coming out fantastic! My girlfriend worked for a couple hours getting it to look brand new!

ImageUploadedByTJJ1337228144.734379.jpg

Also got the rear bumper attached to the car. This is actually the first time I've seen if on the car and it looks great!

ImageUploadedByTJJ1337228210.947030.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1337228237.600588.jpg

We also mounted the electric fuel pump...

It's getting close!

3. farna

farna

That's a great looking bumper! I guess you didn't have the continental spare.

4. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Nope. Spare went in the trunk on this one.

5. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Got a lot done this weekend!

We built new motor-mounts. The originals weren't cutting it. I got all the shifting linkage hooked up to the tranny. Ran the speedometer cable...

We also built a cross support bar to go along the front, since the original wouldn't fit with the supercharger.

We ran more brake line... got the radiator and front end mocked up to check for alignment, and the drive shaft in.

AND! Got carpet in the interior! It looks much better now.

The only thing was that the fork came loose in the transmission... Not quite sure how it happen. With the inspection plate off you can see the fork went to the side a little. So we need to get that working again... hopefully we don't have to pull the motor... again. :mad:

Once we get the clutch figured out, we will run fuel lines, linkage, exhaust, and wiring... then maybe start the engine??? :D:D

[​IMG]
    IMG_1190 by Dimitri Lazaris, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1195 by Dimitri Lazaris, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1196 by Dimitri Lazaris, on Flickr

6. farna

farna

You might have to pull the trans, but should be able to leave the engine in with no problem.
    It's looking real good! Is that upper support just the one curved bar or is there another below it? Not sure that one 1/2" or so rod will be enough. You might want to make something like a Mustang "Monte Carlo" bar over the super charger from top of the inner fenders across, or back a bit further so the bar would be linking the spring towers. That front support is all that keeps the towers from bending in towards each other over time.

7. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks! We are building one more support bar below it as well.

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice build. A guy near me has built a Nash Rambler wagon onto a new style Mini Cooper platform. It's also got a patina paint job on it with the "Dailey Planet" logo on the side. It never fails to draw attention. Good luck!

9. This is fantastic. I'm not really a big fan of the earlier Nash stuff, but this might just change my mind. Look forward to seeing more updates.

10. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

really cool car, i missed this earlier, makes me wanna go get started on my 61 conv american ! i dont think i could pull off the neat engine like you, but i could try !
    goat

11. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks guys! Glad you like it!

12. farna

farna

It's been a while... any progress?

13. Kt-88

Kt-88

Yeah, what he said. Lol.

14. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Sorry guys, with work and some medical issues it has put a damper on working on the Nash. This week is finally clearing up.

The next thing on my to do list is to fix the fork in the tranny, somehow (I need to do some more investigating) it slipped out.

I promise to get to it soon, I want to see it done!

15. dad-bud

dad-bud

I stumbled across this for the first time yesterday - it's taken me some time to catch up with the 16 pages of posts, but have enjoyed it immensely.
    Great looking car - they are weird, but in a god kinda way - can't wait to see it out and about soon.
    Thanks for posting, but please, keep them coming.
    Cheers.

16. boshos

boshos

Any updates? Great build! I have two Country Clubs waiting time and money, nice to see another one being saved.

Attached Files:

18. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Well.... everyone I hate to say it but I have to move on from the Nash project...

I have so many projects right now, and we are trying to get our blown olds dragster started and the room in the garage is tight...

I am KEEPING the engine though, and there is a possibility it will go in my girlfriends T-bucket for now.

It was a great experience and would love to have driven this bathtub on the road, but my dream has to be passed on to someone else now.

19. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Will make someone a great project. Hopefully it goes to a good home.

20. farna

farna

That engine in the T-bucket would make it one hard looked at car! The light T will be a great driver with that little blown L-head six too. Whoever buys the car should be encouraged to join and post on here. Put them in touch with me too, maybe they need engine advice/help. I always wanted to stick a 50s 255 Ford flat-head V-8 in one...

21. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

The Nash is sold! Went to a great new family, I told them about the Hamb. Maybe they will continue the Nash journey on here.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. farna

farna

Great! Let them know about me as well. I am willing to give them copies of AMC Mag that has coverage of the little Nash in it to keep them motivated. There is a great thread on the AMC Forum they need to be aware of (and others working on 50-55 Nash Ramblers and 58-63 Americans -- same basic chassis on all of those!).
    http://theamcforum.com/forum/50l-efi-in-55-rambler_topic32400.html
    Great pics and written details on putting a Mustang II front end in (something I still don't recommend!) and installing a 5.0L EFI Ford V-8. He does mention WHY he used a Mustang II front suspension, didn't intend to at first.

One of the reasons was he wanted to use the factory shorty headers and they couldn't be used with the factory steering due to interference. He had a hard time finding manifolds that would clear. The solution is usually log manifolds switched left to right so the exhaust exits from the front and pipes loop back under the steering linkage, but he didn't want to do that. The oil pan on the 5.0L was another issue. It costs at least 33% more to change the front suspension to a MII setup all things considered (even after rebuilding the original suspension), and the car won't handle/ride/stop any better than the rebuilt (and resprung, I have to add) stock suspension.

A lot of people question the strength of the stock suspension, but the "little" old L-head six is only 30-40 pounds lighter than a modern small block V-8. I remember taking a 70s 302 block off an engine stand in my brother's shop and putting a 196 L-head block on (all three Rambler L-heads weigh the same 172.6, 184, 195.6 -- just bore is different). The 196 block was just a slight bit heavier, but the OHV heads on the 302 weigh a bit more than the L-head head does, and there are two more rods and pistons (cam is lighter in the V-8 due to shorter).

23. strangecars

strangecars
    from Idaho

This thread was great. But kinda like a crappy ending to a good book. I have a 1951 Rambler Vert but have stalled on it. I too might need to let it go.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  24. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

I'm dragging up an old post looking for information on the Daily Planet Rambler. Does anybody know the guy who built it and his contact information?

There is also a "Nash Cooper" that was built in California. Anybody have any information on that build?

Thank you.

25. farna

farna

I just hate that people push another platform under these little gems simply because they don't understand the platform, especially the front suspension design. The trunnions are a little strange when all you're used to is the ubiquitous ball joint, but very simple and functional. They an be expensive to rebuild since the parts are long out of production, but still cheaper than changing out to an inferior suspension (in geometry) like the Mustang II that has also become the hot-rod defacto standard (like an SBC!) The only thing the Rambler suspension won't do is more caster -- 3 degrees is about all it will take without binding, but you don't really need more. The arms look spindly, but they don't do anything but keep the wheel upright. All the weight is carried vertically through the steering knuckle with the spring directly in line with (and above) it. The unit body is incredibly stiff when compared to modern unit bodies (anything built after 63) - it's basically a frame welded to the body structure.

I do understand the modern driving/running with cool retro looks though. It's just easier to modernize an old car (or should I say "retroize" a new car?) by cutting the body structure off a modern platform and mating an old body to it. If the wheelbases line up it's not that difficult at all! Lots of cutting and measuring, so it's not exactly "easy" either...

26. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

] 1950s_daily_planet_nash_by_allhailz-d6vybfs.jpg
    My friend, Richard Beggs Built both if the cars and is building another of them at this time. The one in California was built for Dennis Varney. The next one is going to a friend of his and is also going to California.
    Daily - Copy.jpg

exterminator likes this.
  27. I have a 52 wagon body, someone pulled all of the suspension long before I came along. I've thought of using different suspension, but have never found anything narrow enough that left any room in the engine compartment. I really don't want to go hacking on a suspension to narrow it and end up with something that can't be driven safely!

28. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

Frank,
    Believe me, I know all about restoring a Rambler. I have attached a photo of my wife's Landau which should hit the road this spring. It is all stock except for the addition of a 2-carb aluminum head. I have other cars with typical engine swaps, and I thought the Landau/Mini-Cooper swap would present a different challenge. Just having fun with cars, Frank.

Rambler 2  small.jpg

exterminator likes this.
  29. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

saiingadventure and rockable,

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that the same guy built both cars. Two totally different styles.

30. farna

farna

Great looking Rambler 5lwagon! No offense taken on anything. I'm not an AMC purists, I just don't like throwing perfectly good things out! Lots of reasons to use other suspension, like Wolfcreek-Steve... FatMan used to advertise a Mustang II crossmember for the 50-55 Nash Rambler. It's still going to be narrow to fit the existing rails. You have to cut the fender panels out and flatten them to make a little room, but with an MII you can cut the spring towers out too. That leaves a good bit more room, but still tight near the bottom. A small block with block huggers will fit, but it's still going to be tight around the steering shaft. Using a R&P you can snake the shaft aound a bit with 2-3 universal joints...