Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical no room for gas pedal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by broderchamp, Feb 16, 2015.

1. broderchamp

broderchamp

I'm building a Model A 1928 Roadster with a Hemi. I put the clutch and brake pedals in yesterday. I don't have a lot of room for the gas pedal. I using a 4 speed Muncie transmission. The body is down on the frame about 3 inches. The frame is Z'd four inches in the front. I would hate to use a Model T hand throttle. Maybe there is some pictures somewhere. Thanks Dennis

2. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

some guys put it on the firewall above the trans, and just rest their heel on the trans-tunnel. Could you bend your brake pedal or re-weld the pads to gain more room. A picture of your setup would help.

3. Where there is a will,there is a way..you might have to reposition your brake & clutch pedals.

Photo's of your setup would help. HRP

4. Run a spoon type gas pedal.

5. Same boat here- except a 30. Flipped firewall. Brake come's through the floor,but the go pedal is another story......
    A slight channel,so the trans hump won't be too much in the way.
    Look's like we have to be a lil creative...... I'll be watching.

6. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Not the best picture, but we notched the tunnel for a foot rest and made a swing pedal in the center of an old Model A........wasn't the most comfortable thing to drive.
    model a peds.jpg

7. Thats what I had to do in my T truck. I just put a small "ledge" on the tunnel (think 10 o'clock position) so my foot isnt always trying to slide down the tunnel.

8. Tony

Tony

Can't see the pedal, but you can see how i built a notch on the tunnel to test my foot for the throttle.
    I used a simple spoon pedal.
    It worked perfectly, and because the right side of the notch has a 'wall' i rest my foot against its actually comfortable as well. I also glued some rubber down so my heel didnt slip while driving.

Tony image.jpg

9. crack the front winder open and run a string through, yank when ya wanna go fast.

da34guy and belair like this.
  10. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

How about running the gas pedal cable or linkage along the frame and come up thru the floor right of the brake pedal.

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

That's key.

12. All these little details.

Little car, big engine, channeled, front z - each one of those make a bigger and bigger and bigger trans tunnel. The raised heel rests with notched trans tunnel makes it work.

13. Sgt._Grumpy

Sgt._Grumpy

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424137331.873556.jpg a

I saw this on a roadster at a Goodguys show last year and plan on doing the same with mine. He did a pretty neat job of putting a heel rest on the side of the tunnel. Said it was awkward at first, but now it's second nature to,put his foot there, and is comfortable.

14. 41 C28

41 C28

I hear ya. My 31 coupe is channeled the width of the frame. I made the transmission hump hug the transmission to give me a little more room. Running a 727 behind a 330 Desoto IMG_4058.JPG Hemi. I may end up using a smaller brake pedal.

15. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

That's what happens when you sit on the wrong side. Convert it back to RHD

Otherwise , ditch the brakes! the gas pedal is more important.

26 T Ford RPU, kiwijeff and Ned Ludd like this.
  16. The Hot Rod Garage (Denton, MD) made a heel cup out of a Moon pedal when they built Dick Applegate's Willys:
    Applegate 05.jpg Applegate 03.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    kiwijeff and turboroadster like this.
  17. Another option might be to use an Offenhauser pedal. They're pretty narrow and adjustable and you can still buy 'em new.
    Offy 06.jpg offy 04.jpg offy 05.jpg

18. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Here's a fix;
    [​IMG]
    And what about offsetting the brake and clutch pedal pads to gain a bit of room?

19. 1pickup

1pickup

ever ride a motorcycle?

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had this same problem.

Solved it with a 700R4.

54reno likes this.
  21. fleetside66

fleetside66

Dennis: Here's another variation. It feels totally normal to me. (And mine is channelled 5" with a 4-speed Saginaw).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  22. K.L

K.L

So many innoative solutions

23. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Just go model t style, one side of the steering column is spark and the other is throttle