Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chevrolet Small Block CAMSHAFT Identification Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen several of these kind of posts but I have some different numbers to mull over. I recently purchased a built 327 after the builder passed away. I have no information on any of the parts he used. I pulled it all back down to double check everything. It was done right: Block was decked, Cylinders are perfect, Crank Balanced, new 30 over TRW Pistons and rods, ARP studs, Full ARP bolt kit, high dollar full pump, worked over power pack heads, etc. etc. However when I pulled the cam it had no brand name on it. It has all the standard casting numbers on the stalk but I know that will not help. But on the end where I would expect to see a makers mark there are only two numbers stamped on it: 271180 and 10501. I know I could just tossed it and buy a new one but everything else was done so right, I hate to second guess the builder. I would just like to know the specs on it etc.....any thoughts anyone. Thanks

2. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Is it hydraulic or solid? What are the casting numbers? Ron

These are GM parts numbers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hydraulic. I have seen that chart but none of those numbers match anything on the cam. From what I have seen in about 100 of these inquiries is all the casting numbers on the shaft have nothing to do with the grind etc. It is a CWC core blank.

4. Thats a decent cam it sounds like.

and viva La HAMB, the answer will always be there!

5. Is it a hydraulic flat tappet or hydraulic roller tappet?

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found that Crane Roller reference as well but engine had a brand new set of flat tappet hydraulic lifters in it. The cam looks like a flat tappet as well.....

7. indyjps

indyjps

Rick Garage narrowed it down quite a bit, the last 5 digits doesn't come up with anything on google or Crane's site, give Crane a call the cam could easily be 20 years old and not a current part number.
    Looks like a very mild cam to me not much lift, heres a few other factory cams for reference.
    Comp cam factory grind for 327 350 hp hyd
    http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=2&sb=0

comp cams factory grind for 327 300 hp hyd
    http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1&sb=0

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. Your input is very much appreciated.

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not that it probably matters, but I did mis-type the second number on the end. It is 10510 not 10501...I am going to call Crane tomorrow and see what they say...thanks again.

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well just to close out the thread. I decided to put the cam back in and finish re-assembling the engine. It would be hard to believe that so many high quality parts and high end machine work would be put into the engine and then throw a crappy cam at it. I decided to check the lift and if it sounded good to me just use the cam. After doing the measurements and math, the lifts were 480 and 460 ish. I think this little 327 is going to be a real thumper...

turboroadster likes this.
  11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I am at it...I will tell you the whole story on this motor. About 3 years ago a guy I worked with said he had a problem. He had been building a 1975 Nova for years and had lost interest. It sat on a garage floor with no rear end but he had completely rebuilt the front suspension but had no wheels or tires up there either. The house had been sold and he had to get it out right away but had no tailer or any place to go with it anyway. He also said he had been building a 327 for it but it was stored at a friends house. He said if I could get the car out of there right away he would sell the whole thing for $200.00.

I figured a good 327 block was worth that much not to mention a rebuilt Nova subframe? I paid him and we drug the Nova out. The friend that helped me wanted the sub frame so I let him have it on the condition he had to take what was left of the rest of the car. The 327 happened to be at fellow friends house and he said it was not in the way and was dry and safe so I let it be. Last week my friend informed me he was going to do some renovation to his shop and wondered if I could come get the motor.

When I went to pick it up and saw it for the first time, I about fell over. It was all put together and on an engine stand. I took it home and started to really delve into it. I pulled the heads which according to their markings are 283 Power Packs. The heads have been completely worked over, a very nice port job. It also had new springs and valves and new ARP bolts. In fact every bolt on the engine is an ARP: oil pan, fuel pump, motor mounts, timing cover, etc.).

The valley pan has had the oil weep holes tapped and plugged (old school racer trick) and the lifters and push rods are all brand new. It had a brand new deep sump Moroso Racing Oil Pan and new Melling Pump, Windage tray and ARP mains. The crank had been turned and balanced. The block bored 30 over and it had new teflon coated TRW pistons in place. It had a new double chain Cloyes gear set and then the before mentioned unmarked cam.

That is why I felt fairly confident about the cam. Just thought I would share the find, I am not usually that lucky. This little engine is headed for a 1957 Triumph TR3 project that is in the wings. From what I can tell, the ARP engine bolt set alone cost more than $200.00.

12. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check your head casting numbers; You could have 250 hp 327 heads, which have the same half diamond on the ends of the heads as "power packs" and larger combustion chambers.

13. indyjps

indyjps

460 to 480 lift sounds a lot better. Should wind right up for ya. Glad to hear you got a good score.

14. chase knight

chase knight

The camshaft part number and specs in post 4 are for a Chrysler 2.0 - 2.40L Neon DOHC 4 cylinder. Regards, Chase

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I probably shouldn't put that back in the 327 then....lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. packard38coupe

packard38coupe
    from sidney

well I have a similar problem identifying my can. it is from an L82 1973 350 but the engine has been apart. The cam casting numbers are C6 1H CWC D6 23 K1 1137 and there is a green dot and a tan? one?? does anyone know what this cam is?

17. Well the first number is the lift and the second is the duration. :rolleyes:

OK we all know that is bogus but this will put you back up front where someone will see it.

18. Kind of strange that both those numbers point to a Crane Roller cam. Maybe the guy got it used and assumed it was flat tappet....

19. chase knight

chase knight

This is probably a Wolverine / Blue Racer 1137. It's a flat tappet hydraulic lifter camshaft having 280 degrees advertised duration on both intake and exhaust. The duration at .050" is 214 degrees. Gross valve lift is .443". Lobe separation is 110 degrees, with 5 degrees advance ground into the cam. Regards, Chase

20. Leadsled51

Leadsled51