Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can One Shot be used to paint engine blocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banjorear, Jul 2, 2008.

1. banjorear

banjorear

Can someone use One Shot to paint engine blocks that are going to actually be run?

2. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

i'm unsure why you'd want to? for shine? ease of aplication? just because it is "cool"...

at 40 bucks a pint you can find a cheaper, safer, more durable alternative.

3. banjorear

banjorear

Good question. It's because I have three cans of black that I'd like to use up.

4. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

that would take a lot of cans to do a block!! and why would you use one shot, do you mean can someone use it to stripe a block?

5. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

"i don't know" is my final answer... my guess is that heat will bubble it up/off.

6. banjorear

banjorear

I think you both are right. No, you read it right. I was going to spray the block using up the cans I have on hand.

Thought maybe I could find a use for it. Thanks for the input guys.

7. Sell them cheap and use the money to buy a can of black engine paint and LUNCH. Then you can paint the block with the correct stuff....on a full stomach

8. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

i wouldn't spray it, that's for sure. i don't even like spraying raid around myself, much less something as poisonous as one shot. plus i'm very certian that is super illegal.

keep it around you'll find something for it... what i like best about one shot is how smooth it goes on... it is hard to put a brush stroke/mark in something you're "one shot-ing".

9. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

if you think you have enough, then use it. i bet it will be ine. i painted the engine in my essex with green rust oleum thinned out with acetone, and it worked great, holds up good and it didnt take 6 spray cans to get good coverage.

10. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I have a flathead that I painted with it.
    Easy to put on with a brush. Flows out nice. Lots of pigment in it also.
    Didn't run it on the road for any length of time, but I had it up to running temperature, maybe beyond. Didn't see any paint falling off.
    I've used it to letter bare aluminum bodied step vans, (this was before little girls could do lettering with vinyl). Just letter with it directly to the aluminum. Didn't come off of that either.
    It has always seemed to stick very well to most anything. Sidewalks, your clothes, your skin, your Mama, pretty much anything.
    I think you could do an engine with a half pint.

11. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

I brush painted my small block Chevy with 1-Shot 10 years (and 120K miles) ago and it still looks great.

12. Von Franco

Von Franco

I have painted many of my motors with one shot ,and it worked fine for me.
    Been using it for more than 30 years........................

slammed likes this.
  13. BEAR

BEAR

I WOULD GO WITH WHAT HE SAID!!

14. 1-Shot is Alkyd Enamel, not Tempra or Watercolors.

Go for it,but I wouldn't be too surprised if it eventually
    burned off around the exhaust ports,like any other enamel.

15. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I painted my Ron Holleran engine with it and this year I painted my Walt Dupont engine. It goes on easy and stays shiney forever. Heat doesn't affect it, even around the parts of the block where the internal exhaust passages are. Once I painted a flathead with Krylon Ford red and in a year it looked like chevy orange.
    Go fo it!!

16. Von Franco

Von Franco

One quote :make sure the one-shot still has the led in it,and not the new stuff that
    says no led .the led is what makes it last so long and try not to thin the one-shot
    to much about 60% paint 40% thinner. use laquor to thin it.I know people will tell you different but thats how I`ve been doing it for years.....................

17. I don't normally like painting surfaces that are subjected to extreme temperature changes with 1-Shot(such as motorcycle oil tanks and valve covers)but these are smooth surfaces.I don't see why 1-Shot wouldn't work on an engine casting.I would brush it on rather than spray it(less waste and toxicity).An alklyd enamel that is sprayed leaves overspray that is next to impossible to remove.Ask my friend Charlie(better still ask Cheryl his wife).She's still finding yellow overspray from a flame job I did in their living room in 1974!

I would concur that you could probably brush paint an entire engine with a half pint of paint.

18. banjorear

banjorear

Thanks all. I'm going to go for it!

19. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Sure one shot makes a cool engine paint!! Eastwood sells a engine additive hardner for the paitn. We have done many engines with the one shot small cans , one can will do a engine and using hardner and gloss enhancer ( i now just buy it locally) it shines and you have colors not available in regular engine paint.
    Kick ass stuff........:eek:

20. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

A couple pics.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Dad just painted his nailhead with Oneshot, it looks awesome. used less that 1/4 of a pint. Covers really well.

22. Even though this thread is 7 years old, 1-Shot lettering enamel is a alkyd base paint and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't do a excellent job. HRP

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Works just fine. I striped a bunch of my block while it was on the stand (because I can) and its in perfect shape still

24. That is Great to know I'm going to try this Thank you for the information !! Jim

25. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

While 1-shot formulation has changed throughout the years due to changes in environmental rules and regulations , it is still the best that we have in the striping business . I've used it for years in various situations other than pinstriping and lettering .