Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trying to up my game - looking for some welding opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jarretts70, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The thing with Nait is that we are the largest trade school in Canada. With the industry demand for skilled labor and the apprenticeship programs going full bore there is little room for anything else.
    We train more welders and other tradesmen than anyone else in North America and are basically too busy to consider the small fish that a hobbyist type course would represent. Unfortunately.

2. Update:

This week I bought a Lincoln auto darkening helmet. It's one of their mid-range models. Regular price was around $240, it was on sale for $190 so I finally blew the dust off my wallet.

I've been playing with it for a while now and thought I'd say a couple things. First, this thing just flat rocks. Everyone who said auto darkening is the bomb was spot on. It took about 5 minutes of using it to wonder why I didn't get one years ago. Might be the best money I've ever spent on a tool. I highly recommend this type of helmet to anyone who might be on the fence.

The whole auto darkening thing is a huge plus to start your weld where you want it, which is great. But what I didn't expect was the improvement in clarity. I didn't think the lenses in my old helmet were that bad, I kept them reasonably clean & changed the clear covers somewhat regularly. But this is a major improvement. Someone else noted it was like going from an old tube TV to high def, and I 'd say that's a good way to put it.

3. One thing I will mention on shades. I was told years ago to go as dark as you can go and still see. I used to weld with a #10 lens, but had trouble seeing street signs while driving at night. I started training myself to go darker and darker lens. I now mostly weld chassis with a #12 setting and no longer have that night blindness even though Im getting older and older.

4. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I've been using auto helmets for years but glueing this little light weight LED light to it image.jpg really helped in dark confined spaces !

5. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

summit sells a light that slips right on the tip of your welder , helps .

6. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Attached Files:

7. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I MIG weld for a living, and we use the 3m speed glass helmets. I set mine at 10 and use the standard clear lenses they provide.

I've heard the same thing from a lot of guys who are just starting to weld. Usually they can't see because they need prescription glasses or a cheater lens. Occasionally it will be because they are seeing reflections from stuff behind them on the lens.

Try all the great suggestions given here, and just keep practicing. You'll see where you are going one of these tries, and always be able to spot it

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I welded professionally for a lot of years, starterwelding when I was in junior high school. The best thing I ever did was to buy an autodarkening hood a couple of years ago. After using it I wonder why I didn't but one sooner.

9. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Dumb question ,is the gold lens just something that goes on the outside of the auto/darkening lens,or does it replace the whole lens? Thanks.

10. The gold lenses mentioned here aren't auto darkening and they need cover plated.