Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the heaviest thing you've loaded by hand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Splinter, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Splinter

Splinter

So, I read this Thread in the classifieds- "WTB-4-banger". I thinks to myself-"Self, you've got a banger to sell, why don't you PM that fellow". And I do. talk to him on the phone, it's what he's looking for, has a tranny, he'll look at my original a banjo rear end, too. He's in Huntington Beach, I'm in the Valley, Yadda yadda, he's on the way here, about an hour's drive. Somewhere in this, I send him another PM-"Hey, don't have a cherry picker, if ya got one, BRING IT" He missed the PM. He shows up with two strapping young friends, likes the mill, wants it. Four guys, all of medium build, manage to muscle-fuck an original A motor, tanny still attached, mind you, OUT of the frame, DOWN the driveway, and IN to an F-150 (Don't tell me about the sybolism and irony of hauling a 76 year old Ford truck motor in a Ford truck). First of all, how cool is it what a guy will do for a like-minded guy he just met, but second, I say to you HAMB'ers-
    BEAT THAT, AND DON'T BE A GIRLIE MAN!!!!

2. VonDad

VonDad

Fraz and his 2 brothers moved his 1948 Frazer 4dr sedan bodySOB weighs nearly 800lbs.

edit:
    NO STUPID FUCKIN IGNORANT CHILDISH BULLSHIT CLINT EASTWOOD GAY ASS JOKES PLEASE.

3. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

clint eastwood did that by himself

4. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

haha to say moving that engine was an adventure would be an understatment. that fucking thing was heavy, i dont care what you think when you look at one of those engines they are heavy, very heavy. but definitely worth all of the trouble, just for being able to talk about it. i will be talking about this day for along time. "remember that one time we had to pick up that damn model A engine and put it in the back of the truck"

thanks for hooking it up big time Splinter, i will be looking forward to you doing a post about doing all the wood work in our car ourselves.

5. oldkid

oldkid
    from smyrna tn

err the heaviest thing i've loaded by hand since the rotator cuff surgery??????

a p-85 stainless.

6. repoman

repoman

The exhaust ports on a Pontiac make perfect grab handles for two guys. Whenever I ask my friends to perform caveman feats of strength, they look at me funny, but you'd be surprised how much you can move by hand with a distributed load.

How much does a loaded Pontiac short-block weigh? I've taken them out of engine bays by myself, but I'm a big fat bastard that lifts weights (including engines).

I took this rear halfway out of my truck before I remembered I recently purchased a cherry picker and it was 10 feet away from my huffing, puffing, sweating ass.

Also, you can pick up one end of a car quite easily by the fenderwells. Use your legs and lift behind you. The opposite wheels will slide after you get the car to waist level. When you're a repoman without a tow truck, and the car won't start because it has a transponder key, sometimes you just have to carry the fucker away!

Attached Files:

7. A high school neighbor knocks on my door and says he needs some help, I say sure whats the problem? He says hop in the truck, I did he drives me about a block to an intersection and right in the middle is a COMPLETE chevy 350. WE pulled up and both of us lifted it into the back of his truck. Thank God it was a mini truck we never could have reached a full size.

8. JimSibley

JimSibley

A friend and myself loaded a 1935 willys coupe, body, a 1933 willys 4 door with frame, and a 1936 sedan delivery body my pick up. The wildest part was we put all 3 in at once. The hard part was getting the coupe on top of the roof to strap it down. This was by far the hardest thing I have ever loaded.

9. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

Since "unloaded" has the word "loaded" in it I consider that close enough!
    Years ago a buddy and I un-loaded a 350 sbc long block out of my 66 Dodge turd truck. I have the stupid idea to ignore the hoist sitting mere feet away and just muscle it. It's not *impossible* for a pair of burly dudes, but in hindsight we were not burly. I have the drivers side, he has the pass side, and as I am grappling the engine by the water pump and the bellhousing he is pulling the small pallet it is sitting on. As the engine comes off the tailgateless Dodge, my buddy, my friend, my fellow gearhead...............FUCKING DROPS HIS SIDE. Now, I don't want to crack a head or block of a perfectly good engine, so I lean back a bit and hold on. Now I have the entire engine, all 575-ish pounds, balancing on my upper legs and my arms are about to pull out of their sockets. I look at my buddy with his stupid pallet in his hands and a look of admiration and envy in his eyes and in my best I-cant-breathe-here voice I croak out "dudealittlefuckinghelpplease".
    A moment later the engine and I were on the ground, and I must have slept there that night, I don't remember.
    He didn't get beer for that day. :mad:

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I loaded two complete 9-inch Ford rear ends into the trunk of my '72 Buick one day. Complete with brake drums and center sections. They were from pick-up trucks, so they were nice and long (more weight). They were free, I was 17... Unloaded them when I got home. I'm 35 now, and attempting that would probably result in several internal organs laying on the floor.

-Brad

11. Ive loaded alot of cars single handedly do it all the time the heaviest non wheel item would be my mill all by myself with a dolly weighs about 650 lbs I weigh 175

12. poncho

poncho

a friend and i deadlifted a ford 302 into the back of his p/u...had one hell of a bad case of "headrush"..and i thought i had shit my inners outta my ass..

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

An undertaking to say the least. It got me thinking of my younger days when I was more stout than smart. I do remember deadlifting a 283 shortblock into the pickup. Seems like that empty 460 block was heavier though. Putting the hood on a 73 MarkIV Lincoln by myself seems like it was a bit of a task. The neighbor kid and me got a 33 Plymouth 3 window body onto my dads hayrack by ourselves but I don't remember how. I put a cast iron torqueflite into a 59 plymouth by myself with no jack of any sort, got it up on my chest somehow and muscled it in. Same with farm truck trannys by setting on the seat and lifting it by the shifter.
    I wonder why all my joints are shot at 52?

14. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I used to do shit like that when I was younger too....That's probably why my back hurts all the time now that I'm getting near that 50 mark. Gene

15. 133

i have helped my dad load a few Pontiac blocks into the back of his truck. jesus, those things are heavy.

16. Before the arthritis in my knees made simple things like stairs an adventure, I used to bear hug Corvair engines and put them in my pickup bed.

I loaded up a lathe for my dad on my single axle, non-prung trailer. I had a 2 ton cherry picker. IF I pupped like crazy, I could just barely keep one end up long enough to shove the trailer under it, then we used the winch to drag it on the reat of the way as I lifted the "light" end with the CP. That thing had to weigh 3K lbs.

17. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Before I broke my back about 9 yrs ago a friend and I plucked a 5.0 motor out of a Mustang using a 4"x4"x8' piece of wood under the chain because the jack on the cherry picker crapped out. I almost blew my nuts out my arse.

About 3 yrs ago I manhandled my '30 Tudor body off the frame, and back on the frame by myself...never again.

18. squirrel

squirrel

heaviest thing I ever loaded by hand was the engine hoist into the back of the truck so I wouldn't have to life that desoto hemi

19. swazzie

swazzie

took a 289 short block off a bench once and stuck it to a motor stand(mind you the mount was attached) .If I did that now , my brain stem would detach itself.That was a long time ago. swaZZie

20. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

Does two drunk mexicans count? I once carried my uncle and my cousin four city blocks, combined weight was around 3 bills.

21. My son and his mate, both 15, lifted my V860 onto the engine stand, strong little buggers

Monkey

22. JimSibley

JimSibley

Slazzen,
    i dont think you understand. We put it on top of the truck, not in it. picture if you will. A full size ford, with a lumber rack on it. We put the car on top of the lumber rack... 6 ft off of the ground.

23. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

a bare 292 block into a stock 59 f100.... my back still hurts

24. Mr Grim

Mr Grim
    from Chicago,IL

it had to be a mid seventies four banger susuki bike in the back of a minivan took three of us to tip it allmost 90 degress to get it in the van then stand it upright once it was in

25. fastfrankie73

fastfrankie73

about 7 of us are standing behind a buddy of mines' garage drinking beers after a swap meet and the guy who owns the garage says "while there are a bunch of us here lets move this junk 350" it was a complete long block with water pump and intake, anyway I start to walk over to it since I was the biggest guy there at 6'3" 295lbs my other friend who is about 6'0" 220lbs bends over in front of me and cradles the thing in his arms and picks it straight up like it was one of those plastic mockup engines. As the rest of us are looking at him like he just turned green and busted out of his clothes, he grunts " where the fuck do you want this, it's dripping antifreeze all over my balls". He even had another child after that...or at least his wife did:rolleyes: .

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

We put a fresh from a wreck 354 HEMI with the cast iron transmission on my single axle trailer, then I was on my own. Got it home and it had fallen halfway through the wooden deck. Cut the wood away and let it fall all the way onto the street (driveway is gravel). Had to lift the trailer high enough to drag the HEMI out from under it, across the drive and into the garage.
    LONGEST thing I've moved by hand was a 13 1/2 foot accessorie Model T Ford chassis extention the length of the Red & Chocolate Fields at Hershey. If you're into building stone walls it is real easy to move rocks the size of a HEMI with PVC pipe rollers and a piece of plywood 2x3 feet. Moving big heavy shit is fun, good exersize. Put a 26-27 T Touring car body insid my E-350, not heavy, just bulky. I'm 55 and see no reason to stop moving this stuff.:)

27. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

my friend did the same with a complete 396... hes big and dumb like the guy from of mice and men...

28. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

You guys are nuts....I thought I was crazy for putting a Turbo 400 into the trunk of my Fleetwood by myself...I put a Limited Slip Coupling Turbo Hydramatic (stock '59 Caddy) auto trans into the trunk of the Fleetwood by myself...that was pretty heavy...

I helped two other guys put a '69 Chevelle back onto its frame by hand...that sucked...We did the same with a '48 Chevy Fleetline woody...that sucked worse..:D

I think the heaviest though was me and one other guy picked up my '50 merc 2 door body and put it on its frame....

29. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

A Dana 60 F-250 rear complete from hub to hub. Never again, almost injured myself.:eek:

30. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

In the oilfield we used to pick up drill stem. I think they weighed around 450, no big deal as most anyone could, but then see who could hold it the longest.