Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Shoebox hood adjustment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Judas Grease, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Judas Grease

Judas Grease
    from Austin, Tx

I am having issues with my hood sitting a little higher on the passenger side than on the drivers. The drivers is damn near perfect. I know when these things rolled off of Ol Henry's line they had all types of body fit issues. However, I was wondering Has anyone ever corrected this with replacing the hood hinges?

2. I have a similar problem with our 49. Mostly a side to side thing. I think you can swap out the hinges for those of another year? I've been working on the brakes, fuel tank and lines, transmission and such and not yet grappled with our hood issue.
    However, you can call Chris at Shoe Box Central in Oklahoma City for the details on this and other shoebox questions. He's helped us since day one on this project.............

3. Judas Grease

Judas Grease
    from Austin, Tx

Yeah I know Chris. He has definitely helped me more than once, for sure. Yeah I know I can buy some replacement hinges from him. I may go that route. It's on there and doesn't look terrible. Just drives me nuts cause I know it's there haha.

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Be glad your car's not a 49 , cause those hinges REALLY suck (ask me how I know). You'll get it worked out.

5. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

I notched all of the mounting bolt holes and got the back edge pretty good but the front passenger side sits 1/4" high but I think it might be resting on the radiator panel seal? It took a while and a lot of cussing but its doable. Make sure fender gaps are good and then shim your front body mounts to help line things up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. It's a matter of modifying everything on these cars it seems. Do you have the spring to hold the hood down? it helps a bit.

7. Oh yeah, do you have the two springs that hold the back of the hood down? One spring at each of the two rear (closest to firewall) corners.
    You got any pics??

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

do you have a Green Bible?? shows a lot of this kind of stuff.

9. Judas Grease

Judas Grease
    from Austin, Tx

I do not have the springs. I do have the green bible. I'll invest in the springs. Grego31 it sounds like yours fits exactly like mine. It sits a little higher on the pass side. I just put the seal for the air deflector on. Maybe when that relaxes a bit paired with the Spings it will straighten out a bit.