Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Small Over Drives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Feb 12, 2015.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I am looking for a small over drive that I can adapt for use in a Crosley..Plan is to shorten the drive shaft/torque tube and mount the OD between it and the rear axle..Not wanting it for OD in third gear but as splitter between 1-2 and 2-3..OD ratio should be in the .7 range and probably some thing from a small foreign car, maybe UK...Any ideas? Thanks, little off beat but the car is a 47';)..

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

MG, Volvo, Austin Healy all used Laycock DeNormanville overdrives that electrically engage with the flip of a switch. No letting up on the accelerator, waiting for a shift......it engages/disengages immediately. Should be a fairly compact unit. On the other hand, how about adapting a Studebaker Champion or Rambler transmission with OD (Borg Warner units) in it's entirety. Early Jeeps, '46 thru mid '50s at least (CJ2, CJ3, CJ4, CJ5 4 bangers used Borg Warner T-90 IIRC, top shifter). That trans is smallish and I think the same base unit as mentioned 're Stude/Rambler above.

Ray

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. redo32

redo32

Had an old guy that was building an H sports racer say it was fairly easy to adapt an Austin Healy 4sp trans and as mentioned they had electric OD. Might have change to an open drive line.

4. squirrel

squirrel

lots of Volvo Laycock overdrives on ebay.

Interesting that it's the same overdrive that Gear Vendors sells for close to $3k. And they handle an impressive amount of torque. I recently put one in my 57 suburban.

volvobrynk likes this.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I had first thought of the healy with Laycock but in my mind figured there had to be something smaller...I would even opt for aux trans with 1:1/1.3 [4th & 3rd} which would still split as needed and in a small package..I know the Dagenham 4spd had a 1.31 third gear so pretty close but overall size still little large. maybe have to get into some gears from a motor cycle...

6. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

Gear Vendors purchased Laycock. They are in California I believe. Not very big. I have one behind a C 4. Works Great.

7. belair

belair

Don't you think we need a tech article on that?

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

We probably need a tech article on it, but I didn't take pictures. And it has a computer in the controller, so I hesitate....but if someone can figure out how the OD is controlled in an older European car, maybe it would be more on topic?

(I'm one of those folks who thinks modern overdrive ruins the traditional feel of a hot rod. The Gear Vendors I put in my Suburban was free (!!!) I won it in a drawing on Drag Week)

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Take a look also at the Laycock-de Normanville OD conversions the Model T guys are doing, which retain the torque tube. IIRC there is a guy selling a kit to do it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There are are nimble little boxes, 4 speed full syncro and OD with Hydro-electro actuator.
    Detachable bell housing, easy to adapt to something else.
    Last long and is fairly cheap.

Do a open rear convesion or swap
    the full Volvo rear in.
    Volvo 544 and 122 is ford 5x4.5 pcd. Good rear but no super stout. 3.75 and 4.11. Drum brakes. Comes with a trailing arm set up.
    Volvo 240 has 1030 and 1031 is a Dana 30 build in Sweden. 1030 is good, 1031 is beefed up and comes with a LSD. 3.16, 3.65, 3.78 and 4.11. Disc brakes. 5x108 metric and 5x4.25 imperial. Basic 4 link.

PM for more info.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423843815.788765.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    turboroadster likes this.
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

What do you need pics of? What do you wanna know about euro
    OD?
    Modern drivetrains is for street rods.

12. squirrel

squirrel

What did the Volvo use to tell it when to engage the solenoid?

and...will that one you pictured, fit into a 544 tunnel?

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Switch on the dash, 12v via relay.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423845499.354122.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423845532.573542.jpg

Almost. Half an hours work and big hammer.
    Gearbox is almost the same, but OD is 2-4 inch to wide for the tunnel.

14. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks! Looks like there's also a lockout switch, maybe it only lets you engage OD in high gear? or forward gears?

15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes, only 3 and 4. They had a tendency to fail when engaged in first and reverse, and doing a clutch dump.

16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

ill second that

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thanks for input guys..A Crosley is pretty small compared to a Volvo or Healy so is the reason I tried to emphasize small..Only 26hp and just trying to split gears..Maybe I should just rebuild the Judson blower and put it on and depend on more low end torque for when going to next gear...Then there is the Homelite swap with double the hp and double the chance of driveline breakage if over zealious...

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Maybe, pics or it never happend.
    Post pics of box and tunnel. I go an measure a Volvo box after dinner. I might only have a 4 speed at my house, but it wouldn't hurt to compare measurements.
    It's fairly small.

19. squirrel

squirrel

I just measured a Volvo M40 gearbox, as pictured above...the transmission case (not the overdrive or adapter) is 8" tall, 8" long, 6" wide.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. So does the Volvo 240 have the same sized unit gear vendors now sells, or is it the smaller one. I have a 240 here (1980 or 1981, I can't remember right now) It's a 242t, what ever that means). My wife blew it up, and I was planning to pull the overdrive ( as a spare for the Gear Vendors in my dually) and sell the rest for scrap, but a young guy stopped by the shop a while back and left his number, so maybe I'll just sell him the whole car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

This is complicated and forces torque tube work no matter what, and using even an electrically controlled OD as part of your shift pattern is getting you into a pretty complex dance at each shift...(insert classic joke about Mack truck driver with 3 arms...).
    Why not start researching what small imports, maybe MG, Simca, Austin and Sprite, might have had a compact 4 speed and then see what that might look like...I would think any trans that has all gears inside its case could have its tail housing replaced with a plate drilled to take Crosley tube...this would be a whole lot more driveable and quite possibly easier than splicing in an OD.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Here is a Crosley trans...Visualize a Crosley rear end would be like 1/3rd the size of a 1960 Falcon rear with a torque tube..So took pic too.. PIC_1003.JPG PIC_1005.JPG

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If you don't mind a little cutting, a Volvo should fit just fine, but can't say how hard they are to find.

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Bruce, I understand what your saying..Many H mods used a Sprite trans or derivative of and I do have adaptor plate dimensions but haveing to convert rear to open drive or trans to torque tube changes the whole structure of the car...""insert classic joke about Mack truck driver with 3 arms.."" Fits a Crosley driver anyways especially when hand signaling, down shifting, turning into side street and looking around the dog and missing the all swallowing pot holes...Certain ambiance I guess, just a fun little car..

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Look at articles on here about converting LaSalle trans for use on Ford chassis with tube...if you are using a trans with all gears in the case (like, not a T-10 sort of arrangement) the process is roughly similar to adapter at front...case gets redrilled to match rear U-joint cup from original trans OR an adapter plate sandwiched in as adapter...output shaft gets sent off to a race car axle place or good local machinest to get Crosley splines...shortening likely needed as well, since I doubt many transmissions are as short as a Crosley!
    Then there's the problem of stalling out because you grabbed and shifted the dog's head instead of the transmission knob...

26. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Very interesting info on the Laycock OD units. I've been hoarding one with a Volvo M40 box for years, since my 122S build days. Glad to hear it holds up to moderate torque.

Squirrel: Are you using the Volvo trans or just the OD unit and what motor's in front of it in your `burb?

27. squirrel

squirrel

I'm using the Gear Vendors unit in my Suburban. It is a Laycock overdrive, I don't really know if it's the same as the Volvo unit, but it is rather small, 6" diameter. The engine is a stock 350, the trans is a TH400. Guys run these units in 1000+ horsepower street/strip cars and they survive.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another possible is the current Mitchell overdrive, made for early Fords. They fabricate new torque tubes for '28-48 Fords with their OD spliced in, available with lever or electric shift. Maybe if you mailed them a Crosley torque tube neatly wrapped and padded with $100 bills, they could splice one in there. I'd personally prefer a trans or an OD on the trans, as part of weight of TT is unsprung weight added to a tiny car. I think keeping the tube is a good goal here, as Crosley QE setup, just like early Ford, is best served by torque tube location.

29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If the speedo drive is moved to the torque tube there is a bit of room between the back of case and the TT socket housing; enough so that adding two more Crosley size gears would not be too bad..I can do all the machining and a local guy can cut the gears and another can wire edm the splines in the gears..Its the total time involved, a Mitchell style would be the simpilest and least obtrusive (?) ..Easiest to change in or out..

30. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'd suggest the mitchell od, too. seems to me those import-car units would be quite pricey.