Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mc kay Mackay injection info needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctommy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Hey, i need info on my new injection.

It's a Mc kay, (not sure about spelling) 2.9" BBC

I am interested in the company history and logo, specially the logo because if it is a nice one i might use it for decoration on my altered.

I believe it is made somewhere mid 70s

Attached Files:

2. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

If this is the Lucas - McKay timed injector unit, pretty rare and trick unit there!!

I remember Eddie Hill had one on one of his early drag boats, a gasoline unit.

I think the folks at Kinsler may be able to help you somewhat.

Take care, K

KiWinUS likes this.
  3. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Yes, that might be the right name... Lucas McKay, i think they were mostly used in Lolas and CanAm cars but might have been seen in some drag cars and boats.

Thanks K.

4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Very popular on F5000 racing in the late 60's early 70's with the Lucas Metering system.
    McLaren used then on the M10 F5000 cars of about 1970 vintage

KiWinUS likes this.

5. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Someone thought it might be Australian made!? Possible?

6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

That's McGee injection in Australia [ very popular in speedway ]

Contact the Bruce McLaren trust [ google it ] , it is a non profit organisation for preserving these old cars .

If no luck. pm me and I can give you a few names that'll help you out with knowledge. [ I won't post them here ,for their privacy reasons ]

KiWinUS likes this.
  7. In case you're not aware, your injector does NOT have the Lucas metering system, but you'll be GLAD in the long run... Doesn't look like it ever used Lucas, as they ran the nozzles in above the throttle plates, and the nozzle bosses were HUGE.

After 67 (All their Can-Am big-blocks, basically) team McLaren used manifolds cast by Bruce Crower. (this comes from a period article on the McLaren engine shop run by Gary Knutsen). Very similar to yours in basic design. Yours was likely made for an older sprint car or supermodified.

Here's a photo of a Kinsler injector with the Lucas metering system installed where the distributor would normally stick up.

Attached Files:

8. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

good luck getting ANY help out of kinsler, they are the worst M.Fers to talk to or try and get any info from them will be a xmas miracle.

9. LOL, oh they're VERY helpful...as long as you are placing a large order. :rolleyes:

10. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

I tried that, it didnt work 2800.00 and change. they acted like i talked about their mom@sister.

11. Yeah, you'd need to add a zero to that to get anywhere...

Back on topic... I stand corrected. Here is a pic of a "Mac Kay" (their spelling) manifold with the Lucas unit installed. The injectors are below the throttles and the bosses are smaller than I have seen before. As you can see, the Lucas unit is very distinctive looking.
    [​IMG]
    My previous comments are based on my own experience crewing and maintaining the car in my avatar for several years.

This site might be of some help: http://sd2cx1.webring.org/l/rd?ring=triumphautos;id=121;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elucasinjection%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ehtml

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    KiWinUS likes this.
  12. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

This looks very much like mine except for the stacks.
    The Lucas pump looks odd and interesting but i'm gonna run a front mounted pump, goin to run it on methanol.
    I'm really interested if the Mac Kay (thanks exwest) company has a logo.

13. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Hmmm.... I think i see it on Your pic.....Have to get out in the snowstorm to get to the garage and see if i'm totally blind.......

14. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

No logo.....

Attached Files:

15. snaptwo

snaptwo

Some guys from Reno/Sparks had one of those CanAm motors in a Asphalt sprint car, Ed Evans -Bill Adamson , 'twas a bad SOB. The stacks were the same deal but the had Hilborn or Crower change the Lucas system to constant flow. All aluminum BBC didn't weigh much. Last I heard ,Adamson had the engine in an early 'vette.

16. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

All alu BBC and an magnesium Mac Kay :)

17. c322348

c322348

What is the plenum between the runners for? I saw one of these the other day for a SBC and was wondering. Is that to keep a head of fuel for the pump?

18. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Good question! Really don't know, but might be what You are suggesting.
    Anyone else?

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

What plenum? where?

20. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Don't know anything about that set up but.....WAY COOL!

21. c322348

c322348

it is hard to see, but there is a manifold or plenum running horizontally between the runners in the manifold casting from end to end. There are pipe threads on either end and it is raised above the manifold valley cover enough that there is a large air gap between. It isn't a plenum for the runners because there were no holes drilled from the runners to the plenum in the example that I looked at.

22. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Here are some better pictures.

Attached Files:

23. c322348

c322348

So that one has been adapted with a Hilborn barrel valve?

24. [​IMG]
    WOW. Those are better pictures... That "plenum" between the runners isn't actually a plenum. It is a fuel cooling passage. Fuel was plumbed into one end and out the other where it would have gone into the injection metering device.

If I'm correct, there aren't any ports drilled into the runners, right?

That means your manifold was originally designed for a gasoline application, and likely dates from around 1970 (just going off of period articles on Can Am engines). The angled stacks weren't seen much before that.

KiWinUS likes this.
  25. mcTommy,
    Contact Tony Adamowicz www.a2zracer.com.

On page 73, He mentions Brian Mackay as one of his engine builders back in the day. I know Tony is on Facebook, if you use that... He will likely get back to you if he has any info.

26. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Right, there are no ports drilled into the runners. And i agree the injection must have originally been made for gasoline but is now set up for alcohol.
    I have most of the parts but will buy the missing parts (bypass valves, jets and some other stuff) in Feb when i go to good vibrations in LA.

Thanks for the tip on Tony, i will try to contact him.

Tommy.

27. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

I have a friend looking for a complete set-up for a SBC, if anyone can help I know he would be very grateful. This is what he says;
    'Regarding the parts I have been looking for, the Lucas Mackay fuel injection & manifold. As they were cast from Magnesium there are not to many around in good or even usable condition. Either the magnesium has rusted out underneath or the butterfly shafts are terrible worm. Anyway if you come across anything it would be very much appreciated. The manifold specifications are:-
    • suit a 23 degree small block Chevy head
    • be 280mm in length from the tip of the trumpet to the face of the manifold where it meets the heads
    • butterflies should be 2 ¼ inch. approximately 58mm.'

28. c322348

c322348

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  29. Henry evans

Henry evans

L
    i have a Lucas MacKay sbc setup that I inherited from my uncle. I’m at a stand still because I’m not sure how it all works and can’t find out any info on it. It has a dry sump oil pump that is belt driven the fuel pump is connected to the backside of the distributorthat is ran off the cam gear. Is this the only option that I have or can I upgrade to a msd distributor? If that’s an upgrade I’m not sure. I’m learning all this as we go along. It is cog driven and it seems like the back of the water pump has some king of Device for timing The harmonic balancer has magnets on it that I guess sets the timing . I’ve never seen any of this on a sbc engine. Please any info would b highly appreciated. I can send pix if anybody wants to see in case I’m wording this wrong

Attached Files:

KiWinUS likes this.
  30. Henry evans

Henry evans

P
    I have a sbc Lucas Mac Kay fuel injection set up in great condition but I’m not sure how it all works

Attached Files: