Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Alter-K-Tion II (1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by addicted2dunes, Jun 2, 2011.

1. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Well I finally got off my lazy ass and started working on the chassis. I've almost got all the holes filled in the chassis and am working on the rear C-notch. The chassis lays flat on the ground with the air bags deflated. The notch is 4" tall and I'm trying to make it follow the factory chassis lines, once in I'm hoping it'll look factory. The notch is plated across on the inside of the frame rail so once the welds are ground down it should be nice and smooth and look factory. The only problem I have so far is figuring out how to shape the top and bottom plates of the notch, fun times.

Some old parts cut off the chassis:
    [​IMG]

Chassis laying on the ground!
    [​IMG]

And the start of the C-notch:
    [​IMG]

2. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Little update: Inner C-notch plate and top filler are installed. Time for the passenger side, once those are in I'll flip the frame upside down and do the final bottom plate.

3. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

4. e127604

e127604
    from baker la

i just got a 1950 plymouth special deluxe Im trying to find out if anyone on has swap the frame and drive train

5. I just stumbled upon this thread, and I'd love to see more updates!

6. ...interesting thread, any more progress?

7. Lono

Lono

hello?????

8. Lono

Lono

If I read this right, Are you saying that a person only needs to install the Fatman 3.5 inch drop uprights and that no modifications to anything else is required????

9. tragic59

tragic59

I think this project was for sale on CL recently. He may have had to abandon the project...

10. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Well now...THAT sucks if true.

11. tankwilson

tankwilson

12. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Wow, didn't see all the posts...... Anyways, no, the project is still a go, been real busy the past year with my dad passing away so the project has been sitting. I am honestly hoping to get back on this project within the month though.

13. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

No, steering has to be modified still. Also, I heard that most people can't get the full turn radius as before becasue the steering arms hit the uprights.

14. I looked into Fatman and got done with the waiting game. I made my own rack kit useing a pontiac rack off a GPGT. worked real good. I used a 77 diplomat 9.3/4 rearend. Kept the king pins and remounted the uper shock mount drove better then ball joint swaps. braking was real good with the stock location mounted Daytona master shots are in my albums.A2D i was born in santa maria. have alot of family
    in orcutt

15. tankwilson

tankwilson

While you got the body off the frame you might as well cut part of the frame off so that you can get it to lay rockers. I was able to get mine to layout with the fatman uprights but I put the lower front bag plate on the bottom of the A arm. Take a look at my hemi rebuild thread. I posted about the frame towards the end of the thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738468&showall=1

16. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

A little progress, been a while since I posted. I am looking to have this project driving by May of 2014.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sheetmetal templates started

[​IMG]

The roof was in bad shape, last guy to chop it did a horrible job, had to rework all of that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Subscribed...

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The original color on the firewall is Cruiser Maroon. Run with it.

19. GTSDave

GTSDave

Did you fab those motor mounts? I need a set exactly like those. The engine in my 51 is a low deck big block, and it is solid mounted right now. Those would be perfect for my car. If you fabed them yourself, do you have templates you would be willing to part with or copy? If they are an off the shelf item, where can I find them?

-Dave

20. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Sorry about the loss of your dad. Great to see you back on this project...lots of good ideas for stuffing a big block MoPar into a late 40's-early 50's MoPar.

21. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

This forum is really confusing now.... can't figure out how to update my progress

22. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

23. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Been working on the floors, steering, and hydroboost brake booster mounting. Got a new steering column, machined the stock Plymouth steering wheel and the adapter from the column to mate together, new column, old school wheel...... now tilt!

24. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Engine is complete basically, have to change the oil pan to clear the steering though..... anyone have a big block truck rear sump pan and pickup tube?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whtbaron likes this.
  25. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Brakes (front):

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Steering column to steering wheel mate up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Floors and tunnel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Rear suspension links:

[​IMG]

Booster:

[​IMG]

28. I used a 318 with a 904 auto trans easy fit lots of room I used a 76/78 diplomat/ Valorey rearend almost bolt in. nice roof cut

29. S-10 is real close you could do a diplomat K member but will need to redo the front reals. I used the stock frontend with a disk kit from scarebird vender here and a Pontiac 99 rack and pin steering.

30. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Way past that, the 440 is already in and running....