Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My fleetline no turning back...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by malibustevens, Jan 31, 2012.

1. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Big plans this winter, i hope to update the thread as i go. To anyone still watching......stay tuned.

2. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

I'm subscribed and watching with interest. I also have a 50 Fleetline build thread going on the HAMB.

3. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Im subscribed to yours also!

4. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

I don't have a build thread but I'm subscribed and watching too. Funky weather is great for workin on the hot rod!!!

5. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I cant get the app to upload pictures from my phone, but started mocking up a new set of doors last night, seems im going to need to persuade my roof on the drivers side out a bit more. Might be looking for backyard suggestions on ideas to pull it, everything i have tried just picks up or pushes the car.

6. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

So I have a nice set of fenders that I'm sanding down and prepping for some headlight treatment, also a set of doors to replace the junk ones that were on it. Hope to hit it hard and have at least in primer by spring. Looking forward to blowing multi colored snots for the next few months.

Attached Files:

7. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It's looking good, but I still think those purple flames really classed up the place. These long winters are a good time to get some work done. I just started making floorpans for mine the other weekend. I just wish I could say mine would be in primer by spring.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Posted the wrong photo of the fender, this one shows it almost all stripped down. Unfortunately when I stripped the other one I found a bunch of creases and dents, so that was a waste of time.
    And no way will this car have purple flames, 3 coats into the 7 layers was another shade of purple poor car was purple twice.

Attached Files:

9. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Small taste of things to come

Attached Files:

10. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

You really are getting some work done over there. That's looking good. What did you use for your headlight? I'm working on frenching mine too. I just made a mounting bracket to recess them back a little bit. It's still pretty crude at this point, but I have the general direction to shoot for.

Attached Files:

11. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Im using 52 merc rings. I had to cut them down and still need some trimming but should turn out OK.

12. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

Looking good,hope to get mine done over the winter. Well they are really never done.

13. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

So my plan is some body work this winter along with some mild mods including headlight treatment, shaving handles etc. Some work for the ass end of the car is in the works but we will save that for later.

The first thing I needed to address are the inner fenders. I am replacing with cleaner ones while I have the fenders off for the headlight treatment, and with all that apart why not install dropped uprights and arms, its much easier to work on while all that stuff is out of the way.

I prepped the inner and coated the wheel side with undercoating, painted the engine side with semi gloss black. I thought replacing the anti squeak gaskets would be a good idea but no way in hell will I pay what they want for them from chevs of the 40s or Nat Chevy association. So I used some foam tape (HVAC industry) its like 4 bucks a roll and will work perfectly.

So for now still no exciting pictures...someday I'll actually be able to start doing work on the outside of the car. Won't be long.

Attached Files:

14. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Installed some dropped uprights and arms. A bit of a fight reusing kingpins, buy they are like new. A bit of a tip when installing these Fatman uprights. You need to install the upper pin/adjuster first, that way you can pivot the arm up to get the bolt into the upper part of the arm. If you don't the spindle is in the way of getting the bolt in. Not a problem if you install the kingpins after installing the upright, but I like to put as much together on the bench first. The arms needed a bit of grinding to clear the spindle, and I also had to grind a bit of the upper arm as the brake line was hitting when turning the wheel, last thing I want to do is slice the rubber and end up against a retaining wall...or worse. I may order lines with smaller stubs at the wheel cylinder to be extra sure that won't happen!

Attached Files:

15. I'm running Fatman drop spindles on my 50 Pontiac.

16. Any idea of what type of headers those are? I'm having trouble trying to find something that fits the drivers side.

17. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Yeah, I used part number HED68600 from summit, they are for 67-81 camaro some chevelles ect. Hedman shorty style. I had to "clearance" them slightly to clear the gear box, just a very small dent. Otherwise worked real nice! And way cheaper then the ones for these cars.

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  18. Headman hedders with no clearance issues.

Attached Files:

19. Merge

Merge

Do you still have pictures of the floor supports you made? The links on the first page don't work. I'm getting ready to replace the ones in my 54 as well. Thanks!

20. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Drivers door was sagging, found sloppy hinges due to worn pins. I failed at burning the garage down, while heating the snot out of the hinges with acetylene, then violently pummeling the pins out with a 2lb mini sledge. Next i carefully drilled out the brass bushings, with a drill that was run over and a battery kept falling out. Then i squirted the hinges black with some 2X rusto. I was finally able to replace the pins and bushings and snap this shot.

Attached Files:

21. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Merge, I have pictures buried in my computer someplace. I will try to repost them soon, but I'm rarely on my computer.

22. Merge

Merge

No rush, was just curious. I've got some ideas, but like to see what others have done. Thanks!

23. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Thanks for the header info. I've got a 283 going in my 50, so I'm gonna need them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Ditto on that. My motor is pretty darn tight up against the firewall... Headers look like nothing but a problem for me.

25. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

26. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

27. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

28. Merge

Merge

Thanks for the pics!

29. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Just about finished tunneling the headlights. I have decided to sell this car price will b going up as I finish right now I'm asking 4500 the way it sits.

Attached Files:

30. Did you use a frenching kit? If so what kit did you go with?