Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Geico collector insurance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by windsor mike, Feb 11, 2015.

1. windsor mike

windsor mike

Anybody on here have any experience with Geico collector auto insurance? I've used Hagerty in the past, but Geico is offering me a cheaper rate since I have them for regular auto insurance. Thanks in advance
    -Mike

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I have them for my motorcycle insurance (vintage bikes) but I don't know really what to say since I've never had to use it. It is pretty inexpensive.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They fought me for 2-1/2 months on a claim on my Falcon. I had to sue them, and file a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner to get them to follow their own contract. I would not do ANY business witb them.

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm with Gimpy. but for a different reason.
    Don't know if they still do this, but in the past they donated money to small town police depts. to buy radar guns for speed trap use.
    How do I know this you ask? Because the small town I live in was the recipient of one of these donations.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

A friend of mine owns a body shop, been in the business for 25+ years. He told me to never use Geico. He had it on personal vehicles as well as dealing with them on customer's vehicles. He had nothing nice to say about Progressive, either. He said all the rest are ok, but not those two.

6. pitman

pitman

Arkie nails the bottom-feeders! Could not agree more!

7. They are cheap for a reason ;)

8. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'd talk to a few bodyshops. They have to deal with these companies everyday. They know the good from the bad. I worked at a few shops back in the day that had cars sitting there for months on end waiting for insurance companies to come out and look at them.

9. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I've had two claims against Progressive one went nice and smooth and the other well it went smooth after I told the adjuster to stay there at the body shop and I'd be right there with a baseball bat to break his knees, he stuttered and I explained it to him again I guess he saw the light as he fixed everything that was wrong,both these claims were the other drivers fault and was their insurance.
    I have State farm generally they are good, but one of my kids got in a wreck and it was her fault, our agent put something in on the form incorrectly and an adjuster called my from San Diego, I'm in Yellowstone park with the bus and touring the park and this asshole is screaming that we're trying to put the schlong in them,this asshole had the nerve to tell me that my agent was closed thats why he was hounding me, I now think the poor smuck might be in Iceland writing claims for walrus damage.

10. I have a friend who got wacked on the passenger rear quarter of his '66 Sport Fury when the woman driver pulled out of a parking lot into him. She has Geico, he has State Farm.... it's been six months and it still isn't fixed. They're both jerking him around.

11. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

If you aren't driving your car daily for work switch to Grundy tomorrow

12. I like Grundy, reasonable and been around a long time.

13. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

GEICO........Government Employees Insurance COmpany. Yes, that is what Geico stands for. It started out for government employees years ago. That's probably why they gave money to Police dept.

M224SPEED likes this.
  14. bcarlson

bcarlson

I've had two claims with Geico on my daily in the past four years. Never had an issue, rates didn't go up either. Not saying they're the best, just relating my personal experience.

15. brut4s

brut4s

I've had the opposite with GEICO. My truck was hit by a bus. Tried to handle it myself, the bus company gave me the runaround so turned it over to them and I had the check in 3 days.

16. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I have Grundy. Filed a claim once and literally had the approval and money to the body shop within hours. Three to be exact.

17. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Grundy^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

18. JimSibley

JimSibley

I own a body shop . My classics are all insured with hagarty.

62hotcat likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

windsor mike -surprised that no one has asked - did you get the original offer from GEICO in just 15 minutes?

i.rant likes this.
  20. 56shoebox

56shoebox

LOL!!!!

21. daddylama

daddylama

I had a bad experience with GEICO once, never wish to deal with them again. Had their coverage on my classic... got hit by a guy who also had GEICO. may as well have had coverage by some dude in a van down by the river.

I currently use Progressive for my old motorcycles (Hagarty wants 6 times the amount, Grundy won't insure one of them). They're not bad to deal with as far as motos go, but no idea about collector cars.
    Car is a project, so just covered under a mix of home owners and business umbrella.

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Please, don't tell me you are that naïve! They want those radar guns ou there catching folks so that they can charge extra on your insurance. Because "you have a speeding ticket on your driving record, we have to charge a penalty."

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

"I currently use Progressive for my old motorcycles (Hagarty wants 6 times the amount, Grundy won't insure one of them). They're not bad to deal with as far as motos go, but no idea about collector cars.
    Car is a project, so just covered under a mix of home owners and business umbrella."[/QUOTE]
    Ryan doesn't like politics on HAMB, so I won't talk about the owner of Progressive Insurance and his politics, but you might want to check them out if you feel strongly about such things.

24. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

A good friend had Geico on a camper. It was stolen from his rental spot on the lake.It took him forever to settle with them. He said his personal stuff that was in the camper was the hold up. GIECO is owned by Warren Buffett thats enough reason for me to stay away from them.
    Of course so is Dairy Queen and I still go there. Nevermind.

Fender1325 likes this.
  25. How do you think they pay their ad agency to provide all their cute commercials,,Sponsor several race cars ???

26. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I'm not that naïve.....I'm just saying, I am sure there is some backroom dealings going on. Not only do they get to charge more for insurance, but the local police dept. gets to keep the coffers full too.

27. I was with them had an accident with another Geico insured the other driver was sited for frailer to yield Geico said he was 80% wrong and I was 20% wrong. It went on my record. try to buy insurance with an accident on your record. I would not use them to insure the old out house.

28. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I never understood why the Geico Gecko should have a pseudo British accent as to indicate some form of intelligence. 15 minutes or not it always irritated me. I'll stay with Grundy.

pat59 likes this.
  29. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

I really enjoy the Gieco geko commercials. However, they must spend millions for advertising. I do not want to pay the geko's salary so I stay away for that reason. I have my car with Hagerty as does a friend. My friend had a deer jump into him and the steering column of his track T at about 50 MPH. Hagerty adjuster came to the house, and gave a reasonable estimate. The actual cost of repairs came in about $1,000 less, so my friend returned the $1,000. Medical bills were n six figures. Hagerty popped for their share no questions asked.

30. williebill

williebill

Never a good word on Geico, Progressive, or Safeco. Arguing with adjuster assholes on my customers behalf showed me quick who will go to the ends of the earth to screw you.