Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What are the common problems with '47-'54 Chevy/GMC trucks? What's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Howdy back, I think what will end up happening is that I will wait to pick one up as I just don't have enough space to store one and keep it in good shape. I have a roadster I am working on still and trying to get motivated to keep it underway. I would probably be better off getting a mig welder and cutting the rust holes out and putting in new panels.

I have a couple days to think it over I guess, I can take a little time to decide. What makes you think the $3,600 is BS aside from the price being possibly high? The one you sold was it a regular cab and regular pickup? I am looking for one that isn't a dual rear wheel. The equivalent to the Chevy 3100. I have no preference to the GMC/Chevy choice.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

In this part of the world that is certainly a workable amount of rust.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

here in the "salt belt" area of Wisconsin, thats not that much rust, wish I could find one in that kind of shape... in good ole American money $3000 fair price for what they get around here, maybe a little high but not if you really want one. Now you here from folks in the non-salt areas speaking of trucks and cars selling for less with maybe less rust, but if you have to go any distance and hauling and shipping cost come into play they all kinda even out in costs so sometimes convenience is worth a few bucks.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Rats, live on farms and they always chew wires. On a 6V if your wiring is not up to par you will find out very quick, you don't have the extra amperage to overcome minor imperfections.

I have owned a few of these old AD trucks, GMCs, Chebbys and have worked on more then I care to remember. The wiring is always butched. yes a 200 dollar wire kit will cure it but he didn't ask how to cure the problem just if there was one to look out for.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I just had to ask. I hope you didn't mind. Of course that rat problem is a pretty common thing. When my nephew bought his Harley, he parked it at his Dad's garage and the next thing you know, rodents were chewing up the wires, on a brand new bike. And this was in a nice area of Brea, CA.

6. Seems pretty fairly priced. You can get every piece part, patch panel for these trucks. So if you've got more time than money it would be a great starting point. That being said... it looks to be in about the condition of my cab when i purchased it. If i had it to do over again, i would gladly have paid 2k more for a nicer starting point. 5K in the states will get you a really straight almost rust free truck if you are willing to drive and pick one up.

7. just Mike

just Mike

My evaluation is just my opinion based on watching craigslists ads and looking at trucks for sale in our area, you asked I gave.It's a cool old truck and that much rust repair is fixable but you would have to be motivated.If you have the time I think you could find better for the same money.A few hours driving east is a lot easier than rust repair.The one tons and 3/4 tons have the same cab and front sheet metal as the 1/2 tons, but I guess you do pay a premium for the 1/2 ton short boxes.The one I sold was a single wheel 3/4 ton.I replaced it with a 52, 1 1/2 ton I like to haul big loads.Happy hunting.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  8. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Listen to this guy, it's too much money, you can do better by going east in Wash state, 18 year owner here.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  9. I also commented on the other thread a couple days ago-- but if you check out the Yakima Craigslist there's a pair of 5 window Chevys 47 and 53 here in the rustless desert that the guy is asking 3000 for both. You could sell the lesser one for a grand and have a decent start for less than 2 G. Let me know if there's anything I can do to assist.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  10. In my opinion that price isn't terrible, but if you're having a hard time finding the motivation to finish your roadster, that rust repair is gonna burn you out pretty fast. I paid about $7K for mine, but it was solid as could be. I went about it the wrong way (that long bed 3 window I bought is now a 5 window short bed) because I was over eager and I was dead-set on owning a GMC. If you don't care whether it's a GMC or the less attractive Chebby (my opinion of course), then it might not hurt to look around some more. The Chebby's are more plentiful than the GMC's and you're bound to find one with less repair needed. I agree with Purdue, it's worth a couple grand more to not have to buy patch panels and replace all the rust.

11. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Well, after reasoning with myself and reading what others have said, I think I will pass on the purchase of the truck. I have a full garage, three vehicles (modern) in my driveway, and plenty of tools taking up my space.

I have decided to redirect my efforts back to my roadster and am picking out parts to order since they are on sale. I appreciate all the points of view everyone offered. This is I guess a follow up thread to my thread I posted about tossing in the proverbial towel on a project.

The prospect of an Advance Design pickup will have to wait until I have a larger garage, and fewer projects. It is frustrating wanting many projects at the same time but not having enough space to work on them.

Thanks for the advice and differing angles. I appreciate it. Now I'll spend the money I would have spent on the truck on working on my roadster. :D

12. maineguydan

maineguydan

All I can say is , you just can't kill them. I had a 51 , enjoy the ride, good old truck.

13. Good luck with the Roadster- I'll be sure to save a desert truck for you for when you finish