Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 1st time in Austin, where should I go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -impalamike-, Feb 9, 2015.

1. I will be travelling to Austin in less then a month for a work conference. March 6-8. I've never been to Austin but I know there is a rich history of hotrodding there. I planned on swinging by Austin Speed Shop to check the place out but does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks

Mike

2. Check out Mercury Charlies also

-impalamike- and 51 mercules like this.
  3. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

OT but they got the only Formula 1 track in the US. Maybe something going on there?

4. magnet

magnet

5. rfraze

rfraze

What he said, plus:
    Google an Austin event calendar.
    6th Street area off I35 just south of downtown is tourist party central. How many types of margaritas have you tried? The party-in-a-tree birds there are called grackles. You'll know what I am talking about when you hear them.
    Lake Austin from Mount Bonell.
    Antones . . . One of the million places for great music. Grab one of the local entertainment papers.
    Salt Lick . . . bbq experience
    Migas . . . mexican breakfast
    Take a ride out west thru the hill country.
    Take a canoe trip down the Guadalupe or float the Comal in New Braunfels.
    WHATaBURGER

6. sounds like great advice. I will look up Mercury Charlies for sure. Keep em coming!!

7. Are there any Hambers from Charlies or A.S.S on here? I always enjoy shooting the crap with other car guys.

8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We love to eat at Shady Grove, you can't beat the Chicken fried steak with Green Chili. Margaritas are good to...

9. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

March 7th should be hot rod night at Top Notch Hamburgers. Cars start getting there around 5 and there is usually a band, then an outdoor movie.

http://www.topnotchaustin.com/

-impalamike- likes this.
  10. Thats great info Jeff. Thanks a lot

11. Any other suggestions?

12. Driving? Do not arrive on I-35 during rush hour.

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

certain the Austin guys will have a more informed opinion...BBQ!!! Do not go to that super popular spot, really not worth the wait. That being said, you are going to have to wait and get where ever early. My 2 calls would be "La Barbeque", just get there at 1000(ish) and stand in line, so worth it. Second would be "John Muellers Meat Co". Both of these fine venues serve the sauce on the side, where it belongs, like god intended. ;)

evidence attached for "la Barbeque"

ps...la barbeque usually has a free keg of lone star out on the weekends to slake your thirst whilst waiting in line.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    -impalamike- likes this.
  14. I'll be flying in from Kentucky and arriving around 1pm. I will take that into consideration when I pick up my car. thanks

Great advice, When I go places I usually stay away from the touristy spots, I like to find the local gems. And defintely need that sauce on the side!
    thanks

15. bottom feeder

bottom feeder

Since you are flying in you should consider driving straight to Austin Speed Shop from the airport. The shop is between the airport and town so you will waste less time.

-impalamike- likes this.
  16. Mercury Charlie is a HAMB member,,so is Steve from the Continental Club and some of the A.S.S. guys also

17. Russt29

Russt29
    from Phoenix,Az

You know its good bar b que when you the stack of white bread on the side!!

18. That is great advice, good thinking! Thank you

Thanks for the heads up, maybe someone will see my thread. I'll also search around on here also. thanks

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Iron Works for BBQ and Lone Star long necks
    Magnolia for amazing sit down elegance dining

20. Thanks Typo, probably won't be doing any elegance dining but thanks for the suggestions none the less.

I see a lot of people have suggested restaurants, How does anyone have anytime to work on the rods if they are always eating? I drive a model A. if I eat too much I won't be able to fit in it :)

21. Hey guys, Thanks for all the input, looking forward to hearing from others as well. thanks

22. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Hey impalamike look forward to meeting you while in Austin. Please do come by the shop!

-impalamike- likes this.
  23. I will John, it will be my first stop once I get off the plane. I hear the hospitality at the shop is second to none. Defintely looking forward to taking a look around. After that then it's bbq!! thanks

24. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Food and Hot Rods go hand in hand,, but really what I enjoyed in Austin was just driving around the city. There was a ton of vintage (real) neon signs, great building and houses, art galleries. Out in Hill Country too many dangerous looking antique stores. We even had fun at the H.E.B grocery store (I am easily entertained) There is just that 'Just slow it down Son, this ain't California" feeling. And Magnolia Cafe was not expensive, just amazing food.

25. I love those same things. I have a meeting to go to Sunday 8-1 but managed to get work to front the bill for me to come down on Friday So I will have all day Friday and Saturday to roam around. Going down by myself, the fiane' is staying home since we got a wedding to pay for this summer. So it will just be me and my camera and my curiosity. The only thing i'm missing is my coupe :(

On a side note, I was supposed to drive down for the LSRU last year but the other guy that was going had to cancel the week before. Hopefully I can get down there next year.

26. Anyone else with any suggestions?

27. Getting a foot of snow here today, can't wait to be in Austin

28. I'm arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting some Hambers and checking out Charlie's and the guys at A.S.S

29. 54stude

54stude

The last time I was there, I enjoyed walking around the state Capitol. Pretty cool old
    Building. Lots of cool details, like the door hinges for example. I stopped at A.S.S., also and it was ok, but they were not exactly inviting, just got to look into the windows at the shop space.