Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mellow Tone Glasspacks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brf, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Brf

Brf
    from pa

I know that the human ear is subjective and the sounds it hears are unique to each ear but does anyone know if the Brockman Mellowtone Glasspacks(30") are a deep, mellow, rumbling sound? I am looking for a soft deep sound at idle that gets a little louder when you stand on it...but I don't want raspy! I was originally looking for the MellowTone Glasspack made by Glasspack from the 50's but I found out they're not in business anymore. My father had factory headers with dual mellowtones by glasspacks on his 56 chevy convertible and the sound was awesome...a deep low almost not noticeable rumble at idle and when you stood on it they sang...as he would say.

2. ground_pounder

ground_pounder

i was really happy with the steel pack brockmans i put on the 57 chev. if it wasnt for my header leak it wouldnt be very loud at idle. another thing to consider is the motor making the sound and the pipes before and after them, diameter and length. not to mention the brockmans are very well made and if i remember right made to order, good price and a good guy.

3. Road Runner

Road Runner

Brockman Mellowtone Glasspacks at 30" length will have a very smooth low rumble at idle and are only audible at all when you open up the throttle and at higher rpm, but without any of the brittle high end.

I got 12" and 17" Brockman steelpacks for my 235 and 261 and like that I can hear the motor's range of sounds.

Anything after 26" length is rather smooth and quiet on these engines.
    If you want to keep a smooth sound, put the muffs about 2/3 back on the pipes and route them over the rear axle and out the back.

I tried generic glasspacks and Smithys before, but learned that Brockman really makes the best louvered mufflers available today.

4. coopdevill65

coopdevill65
    from tac ,wa

flowmaster hushpowers will give you that exact sound! i put them on my 51 with about 400 hp and they sound awsome!!

5. jonny o

jonny o

In general, a glasspack that long is going to be pretty low toned and rumbly, but still liven up as the revs raise.

The rumbly cracky deals are the little 12-18 inch race versions.

6. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

I've got some Thrush glasspacks on my 57 Bel-Air and it's pretty mellow sounding. I think they were about 20 inches long.

7. Brf

Brf
    from pa

That's cool, I wish I could hear the 30" and the 36" before I buy them. I will be running a small block 351 with headers, the pipes will got straight out the back. I am totally cool with a soft low deep rumble that is unoticed while in the cab but audible when you lean on the pedal.

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

So is that 12" on the 235 and 17" on the 261, or is it one on one side and the longer in the other (I'm expecting at least a split manifold, if not Nicsons, etc.)?

If it's staggered, which length did you put on which side?

9. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Every engine will sound differently through the same mufflers. My first pick for a 50's car is always Brockmans. They just have the right saound.
    You can always call Brock for advice, he is a great guy, very approachable, and so is his wife, Elaine. He can even custom make you a set, any length, with 'glass, steel, or no packing in them.
    The longer, the quieter, still retaining that rumble. Bigger engines need longer mufflers to be manage-able, sound-wise. What sounds good on a straight six, is too loud on a big block!

11. Road Runner

Road Runner

I think uneven length pipes and mufflers on these egnines are too noisy for a driver.
    Not sure if its just the exhaust, but it feels like the engine also runs a little rougher with unbalanced pipes.

I got 12" on the 235 and 17" on the 261 with Fenton cast iron headers.
    The 235 has short header pipes and no tail pipes after the mufflers.
    I like the rawer engine sound on the truck but wanted a little smoother and quieter ride for the car when doing long freeway trips.
    And so I can hear my stereo without blasting it. :eek:

12. nexxussian

nexxussian

That's a good thing, thanks.

13. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

I have 22" smithys on my 64 caddy stock 429 and they sound great. I also have them on a 350 chevy in my 77 suburban and I do not get any high crackle. They are cheap too.

14. silentc1321

silentc1321

Has anybody heard the 36" over all length brockman steel packs. Wondering wich would sound better on my chevy 5.7 the glasspack or steelpack looking for a deep mellow sound. Exhaust will be 2 1/4 with pencil tips.

15. The sound of your glass or steel pack muffler is effected by a lot of other factors. Volume that your engine outs out, the headers or exhaust manifolds, the placement of the muffler in the exhaust system, diameter of the exhaust tubing, length of exhaust tubing.

Brockmans are a mellow sounding muffler just as the ads state. They best on smaller displacement motors with a full exhaust system, no boom tunes or megaphones. I think that they sound better (at least to my ear) with cast iron manifolds and mounted just prior to the rear axle with the tail pipes run all the way out back. But that is just me I suppose.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  16. Chev 5.7..???? Explain Please.Are you ashamed to state your car model and year?

17. silentc1321

silentc1321

They are going on a 90's model truck around 210 horse

18. silentc1321

silentc1321

It will also have a h pipe on It

19. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated previously, muffler length, location, pipe diameter, engine size and health all play a factor in exhaust sound. I am running 12" Brockman glass packs on two flatheads. On a stock '51 239" with 1 3/4" pipes, they are soft and mellow. On the built 286" in my '32 with 2"pipes, they are loud and aggressive. :cool:
    Mufflers aren't that expensive, so buy a pair, try 'um and know for sure how they will sound. You can always sell that pair and try others. That's what I did. :)

20. silentc1321

silentc1321

21. silentc1321

silentc1321

Got my brockman mufflers put on my truck. And I have to say the sound is amazing, I will never buy any other kind of muffler.

22. U.K.

U.K.

I might try these Brockmans on my 303 Rocket...I am looking for that deep rumble sound but I wonder how different they'd sound on a V8, anyone got any ideas what kind of length I should try?

23. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Just bought a set of 17's (steel packed) for my worked over 292. The gal I spoke with recommended longer ones as she told me these would be pretty loud.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG][/URL]

24. U.K.

U.K.

Looks like a nice build there Paintman. What is the difference between the Glass and Steel packs...is one louder than the other?

25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

This is what I was looking for. I have a 64 el Camino it has a stock 454 with stock cast iron manifolds. It has full 2-1/2" mandrill exhaust and turbo mufflers, it is quiet..
    I either want to remove the tail pipes or remove the mufflers and tail pipes and run long Mellow tone mufflers, something like 40"..