Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scratch built 1929 Roadster body sheeting structure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cryptkepper, Apr 3, 2013.

1. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Finished making the seat to the final shape' next is buying the materials to sew the covers. Here are some pic's

Attached Files:

2. On your Oil pan ? Maybe you could use a front sump pan and be safe??

3. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks, Have addressed the ground clearance with a new spring in the front will have approx. 5.5 inches from ground to pan. When I blow it apart to paint everything I will install it as I reassemble the suspension.

4. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Great job on seat!

5. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks cowboy. Haven't done a set of seats since hurricane Katrina I had eight foot of water in the house and shop. I lost my sewing machine so I am a little out of practice. It will come back to me its like riding a bike I hope!

6. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Okay it's Saturday and I had already picked up the materials for the seat covers Friday so here goes. I first cut my patterns and then the material top is vinyl over 1/2 inch foam with muslin under the foam these were glue together prior to sewing. Marked out the pleats and sewed them thru the three layers of material this took awhile as I am out of practice. the Hardest part was making the edge welt. that required folding vinyl over a 5/32 inch cord and sewing it as close to the edge of the cord so it would be tight.

I manage to sew the bottom cover less the side panels which I did cut out. Include in the photo's is a pic of the sewing machine I got from my aunt No it did not look that good when I picked it up. I cleaned and repaired the machine an built the table it sits in. Here's some pic's.

Attached Files:

7. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's had a little time to work on the rods interior today and finished sewing the bottom cover, I think it came out nice. I have never made a seat or seat cover from scratch so I was leary. I got over that quick after getting several prices from some shops they were insane least expensive started at $1800.00 and topped out at $3100.00.

As of this post I have aprox. $70.00 in materials from plywood, foam, contact cement and vinyl not bad! Can't count my time because I am enjoying working on the interior. I figure that,s what hotrodding is about and I can say I did it all myself. Well here's some pics.

Attached Files:

8. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

9. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That looks great! You have done it all on your rod and I can't wait to see it out on the road man. Awesome job!

10. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Had some time today and started sewing the cover for the top of the seat. All that's left is to sew the driver end onto the cover and install it on the seat back and onto the side and door panels. Here are a couple of pic's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  11. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks!

12. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks! I can't wait to finish it and motor down the road and get strange looks from the rest of the cagers!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  13. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Had some time today to finish the back of the seat and moved onto the rear side panels, My wife wanted to take pictures of me working on the interior so here's a few pic's.

Attached Files:

14. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys. Today I cut out the door panel backing wood and began sewing the door covers. Here is a couple of pic's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  15. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Your a true craftsman

16. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks alot cowboy!

17. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

you are doing some great work and I would do the same thing after hearing the prices on doing the interior.

18. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's had a whole day to work on the rod! Started with the driver door interior and finished it. After looking at the completed interior I didn't like the bottom seat cushion it was not comfy. I hadn't cut openings in the bottom plywood prior to gluing the foam on. So I cut two square holes and stretched and laced webbing across the cutouts and cut the foam down. I then reglued the foam to the plywood and installed the cover. Here are some pics of the finished interior less carpet.

Attached Files:

19. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's, had a chance to work on the rod today! After looking at the windshield frame I had made previously I decided I didn't like it. So I had been looking at the tech archive and found someone had a tech article on how to make a model A windshield frame. I can't remember who it was but he did a good job. I went and purchased some 1/2 inch water pipe. The pipe in the article was done with a mill I am not that lucky, I made a jig with plywood and two by fours and cut the slot for the glass with a 4" grinder. I had bent a slight arc in the bottom tube prior to cutting the slot. All that's left is to cut the 45's on the bottom piece and tack the sides to the bottom and make provisions to bolt the top tube to the sides so it is removable to insert the glass. Here's a few pic's!

Attached Files:

20. damnfingers

damnfingers

Ingenuity makes miracles happen!

21. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's, Got the windshield frame put together and welded. It wasn't to easy to align the top with the rest of the frame and drill and tap for the 8/32 screws. To accomplish this I used two ratchet straps side to side and top to bottom. I then drilled and tapped it and it worked out. I then used the existing windshield frame and cut the top off of it and used it for the mount.

I then aligned the old frame and the new frame and tack it in place to see if it looked Ok. I was pleased with it and will make the new mounts so the windshield will be able to open like a factory one. Here are some pic's. I think it looks much better than before!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  22. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's haven't had a lot of time to work on the rod, its Saturday 4/19 and have some honeydo's to do so I won't be getting to much done. I am almost finished with the windshield and mount. I had thought I was going to have both parts chromed and then I thought I might have them nickel plated.

I had been reading up on spray chrome so, I bought a can of duplicolor chrome in a can to experiment with. I first took a bit of scrap sheet metal primed it and sanded it down to 3000 grit paper. I then sprayed three light dust coats of the spray chrome! It was alot like semi polished aluminum so I scuffed the finish with a grey scuf pad in one direction and then cleaned and cleared it with satin clear. It came out great looking like brushed nickel. I didn't take any pic's.

I will be working on the windshield and mount on Sunday and will take pic's and post them.

23. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That is thinking outside of the box! Can't wait to see what it looks like.

24. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

looking forward to seeing some more pictures.

25. sadsack

sadsack

good for you.
    dsadsack

26. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

Awesome build thus far. Lots of inspiration here, I'm going to attempt something similar here starting soon!! I love the grill insert.

27. Jersey Larry

Jersey Larry

28. I am going to build a RPU some time soon