Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Jersey Larry

Jersey Larry

Very cool build.

2. allwilly

allwilly

Awesome Tony! I'll be down in a couple weeks again. ...hope I can see a test run!..if not I'll help break the car outta roll cage jail n help u finish the cage!

3. Nice post on the test session Tony! Always can learn somethin' hangin' in the shop. Glad ya made the trip over, great day. Hope the goodies protect that killer motor you're buildin'!

The hornet nest is still safe today, too warm!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. farmer12

farmer12

Just read the whole thread and can't believe I've never seen it. I really like what you're doing.....especially the 392 Hemi! Keep up the good work! Subscribed.

OahuEli likes this.
  5. Heck yeah Tom! Stop by when you are down, you can sleep here and work on the car for room and board :).

farmer12 - I have had your build thread in my watch list for years now. That there is some amazing work ;). This old car is gonna be a race car, not that I have your skills to make it nice anyway. Thanks for the props man! Always enjoy watching your progress.

allwilly likes this.
  6. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

So, the "mechanical" limiter was basically a "flyball" type governor Eh?

7. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Great looking profile!

8. Those are some fancy twinkle lights for next year's Christmas tree. Cool to see actually, never seen that before.

9. Yeah a Flyball. Probably a good gasser name too.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  10. Like those Tachs man - Can't wait to hear about those. Did you have any advance in the magneto?

11. The mag is set to start advancing above 1000 rpm with total advance around 22 degrees. We didn't test the advance curve this time.

12. 22 Crank degrees will make starting easier for sure with all that compression that'll be good. What do the hemi's like for max advance?

13. I plan to run 10 at the crank and 32 total. You don't want more than 32 on a hemi.

14. I read an interview (Mar 2014 Hot Rod) with Garlits talking about his swap over from the 392 to the 426, he couldn't get the new 426 to run as good as his 392. He said he had enough of the 426 and was gonna try to blow it up, since he used 34 max advance in his 392 he set his 426 to 40, it ran the best time ever for him. The next run he went up to 50 degree advance and it went faster still. Cool story, and yeah, 32 degree is probably a good number since Tony and Big Daddy both say so...

OahuEli, stealthcruiser and Tudor like this.
  15. Yeah baby! Got her back home! The work is top notch like I expected, just slower than expected. Time to kick it into high gear - the Greer race is on April 25. The cage guy made up a nice rear brace for the rear axle and put on rear shock mount tabs. That where work is going to start happening next. Need to finish weld the rear axle housing and then re-center the bearing ends. Then get a drive shaft on order.

cage_done2 (Copy).jpg

cage_done15.jpg

16. Tubular man!

loudbang likes this.
  17. Nice Ric! A birdy told me it was 86 degrees at the SoCal beaches and the surf is up! You should be working on the Child instead of surfing though :p

18. Yep, me and Marc, garage door up (60's+ at night)working on The Child with long sleeve shirts on, sipp'n cold brews & tending to our ole girls needs. Its a real Beeatch, but someone's gotta do it. ;)

tylercrawford likes this.
  19. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Rock & roll Tony

20. I remember seeing that car on c-list, cool build

21. Hey, you ashamed to have SFCC on your sedan delivery? :rolleyes:

stealthcruiser and allwilly like this.
  22. allwilly

allwilly

Yeah..what he said! just not right towin the shocker without the sock out

GAOldsman likes this.
  23. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

I'm jealous I've been waiting to get mine in to even get started

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Ditto!

25. Easy boys! Just got the SEG logos for the family friendly occasions. Being a Sock Fucker in our own circle is funny but in the pits with kids its not really the right place. Damn I think I'm getting old. Pass the Geritol.

Frank Taylor, enloe and II FUNNY like this.
  26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

27. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Wait, what?
    I thought it was "Super Fast Car Club"? :D

K.L, Tudor and stealthcruiser like this.
  28. Yah...that's it