Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pulled a model A coupe from a 51 year slumber. New comp coupe inspired project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 1, 2015.

1. I've been wanting to build a street/strip style coupe for a while now. Everything I have is flathead powered. Time to do an OHV. I've really wanted a 33/34 coupe...but prices just don't allow me to do one right now. I even went and looked at a 33 5W this past weekend but it just did not work out.
    This 1930 A was on the local CL for over a month. Looked pretty clean, but priced at close to what restored coupes go for I did not pay much attention to it. I finally called and talked to the 82 year old owner. He had bought it in 1955, and it got parked in 1964. After about a week he called and accepted the offer I initially offered him. We drug it out of its long term storage and brought it home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dragging it out was fun, I just love discovering long forgotten cars. It's a very complete old coupe. The top insert was long gone and the front seat was trashed. But it is pretty dang strait and has very little rust. I gutted the interior and hosed it off today. It has hydraulic brakes and two 16" wheels and hub caps are in the trunk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the plan? I want to build a car that may have been on the street/strip in the late 50's/early 60's. I have a nice 1951 331 cadillac and a V8-60 tube axle I've saved for such a project. I want a slight nose high stance. Probably a LeSalle trans with a king shift kit or maybe just a 4 speed. Probably a very early F-100 9" rear. Skinny slicks out back and I'd really like to find a set of skinny small window halibrands for the front. Full fendered and un chopped. This is a back burner project, something I can collect parts for over time. But the end result will probably look something like these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Malcolm, Hotrodmyk, Paul B and 7 others like this.
  2. hipster

hipster

Nice snag! Please update w/progress.
    Good luck with it..

3. Very nice car, good find, keep us posted.

4. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thats a nice start, looks damn fine.

Keep at it, lad.

6. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Well done Chris....you sure can find them

7. Nice CL find Chris ...

Spokane has great car buys ....

They are still out there to be found - just dropped this 1930 5 window coupe
    off to HAMBer Len in Philadelphia on Saturday that he found on CL in Ohio

It came with extra sheet metal to boot at a great price !

FullSizeRender (30).jpg

Jim

stillrunners likes this.
  8. I'm building the sedan version of what you speak of. Looks like a nice start!

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Great looking car. Funny how it has some updates, like the brakes, shocks, and it looks like a swing brake pedal in the one picture.

I like the final look you are going for too.

Don

10. Great find. Have always liked '60's era Model A drag cars with there noses in the air and a OHV V8 and a 4 speed. Your builds always produce great cars, and trucks, so I will be watching this one.

11. Yes Don, has one swing pedal, one stock pedal

12. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

13. Looking forward to this one Chris,you always have the insight to build cool cars. HRP

14. I am looking for a set of skinny front mags if anyone jas anything for sale

15. oldschoolgasser55

oldschoolgasser55

good for you !!!nice ride keep the pics coming !!!!!

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

DamnDaddy...
    Just don't get much better..
    Good for you!!
    Your car, your choice, but after you get it done mechanically it is just screaming to me to leave that Patina alone .. :)

17. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Very cool, found a similar deal up here in Boston on CL just before Christmas, so I'll be watching how you get on with this. Great to be able to start with so complete a car.

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good for you.. Sounds like a good plan.. Love the "patina"...

19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice score, I know I'll be watching your progress. Always like your build style. Looks to be an early '30 with that oval speedo and forged front fender braces. Gotta love that solid PNW tin,compared to the rusty crap we have back here.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  20. Nice!!- looks like your gonna make it nicer though - Great find and a great plan
    Good Luck

21. Looks like you've got a great foundation for a project.