Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mid engine 2cv : Rattus Ferrum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ami6, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ami6

ami6
    from belgium

Hi there
    Like to present latest project : Rattus Ferrum.
    don't know if this should be a traditional or a hot rod... not very shure this could be a real hot rod... since engine in no more in front... sorry if i'm in the wrong category!
    base is 2cv, parts from all over the years modified or adjusted.
    Mid -Engine 2cv 602cc,(standard in front)
    channeling
    lengten chassis by 32 cm
    stiffen and modified suspension completely
    some metalwork to close the engine just behind driver seat
    Custom fenders in front and custom canvas roof (can be convertible)

Thank's for watching!

Attached Files:

B Bay Barn likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't know if it fits here or not but it might be the only 2CV I've ever liked. Pretty cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. papadaddio

papadaddio
    from Minnesota

4. Normally I would be an ass about it but aside from always thinking that those were cool cars I am one that believes that one must work with what they have or can obtain. State side those are pretty uncommon cars these days.

So at the risk of sounding soft tell us more about the little car? I'll bet it is a **hoot to drive.

** hoot to drive = really fun to drive.

5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Because the other one was in the introduction section, maybe, but I'm in doubt too.

Need a chop? Looks awful high in the roof. These cars was build to bring one farmer across a field with eegs with out breaking them, he should be able to pull the rear seat and insert farm goods or animals in the rear, like a van. And on top bring him and his family to church, with a tall hat and all.

But since nobody goes off-roading with eegs any more, or ware tall hats to church, chop it! You already pulled the rear seat for an engine.

And with that eeg transporting suspension they ran back then it handles worse (sp? @ Blue one ) then a mustang. But with two engines it might be just as fast as a 302 with smog system in place and with a Mindblowing retarded ignition.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Beeno, you are one convoluted & twisted individual, I think that's the reason I like you! icon_lol.gif HRP

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

You sir, is SO unique, just like this car. But that dosent mean we don't like you.

That only means we feels compelled to speak ours mind about you! Beware of what you ask for
    But it dosent mean that we love either.

edit: Should be read as an reply to @porknbeaner, not to HRP.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. ami6

ami6
    from belgium

Hello,

nut sur that i understand all of the humour, must be inside jokes al the way?

Yes, no top chop, i've seen top chops of 2cv with photoshop etc, not always a good idea, a top chop is nice with a long car , long bonnet and long trunck but since the 2cv is pretty round it doesn't fit very well to me. (egg-form)Also, it has been done hunderds times with VW bugs, so examples enough for how NOT to do it...
    Biggest reason was of course that i don't have the skills to do it , never went to school to learn bodywork.

yes, it is very nice to drive, not many horsepower but still enough to have some fun in the isolated roads (i'm living at the countryside) and yes, one most do with what he has( don't remind seeing an american car drive around in my neighberhoud) , or can pay, or what he likes...i'm not a mecanic or a bodyworker , i learned everything by peeking from others and mostly the try and error method... Thank's for replying!
    DSC_2872.JPG one more pic from the side to judge that it's not so high that you would think

Zerk likes this.
  9. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Now that's original! I love the whole concept, and done in such an understated way. Its a real hot rod, and it belongs here I reckon.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. ami6

ami6
    from belgium

hello, thank you,

sorry but what does it means : "understated way" ,

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB, nice car. It needs the cycle fenders to protect the paint I'm sure. Bob

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Being a long time fan of the 2 CV, (I even owned one about 25 years ago), I very much like what you have done. And, I totally agree with your opinion about reasons NOT to chop it!

In my opinion, chopping a top is more often done because it "is the thing to do", and is usually done in excess, causing the car to be 'noticed' but not always actually improving the lines of the car.

A 2 CV is a thoroughly unique design and one of only a handful of truly milestone vehicles.

Yours appears to be an earlier model, judging by the hood/grille style. I am envious, as that is the era I would most like to own now, in original form except for the 602cc engine upgrade.

Thanks for posting your car and enjoy it to the fullest.

Ray

13. We are just long time friends and sometimes we get a little off track.

Understated.... presented or expressed in a subtle and effective way. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I like it. It looks like it would be fun to drive.

15. Zerk

Zerk

A great job of making something new and interesting from a 2CV. I would like to see the suspension and mounts if there are any photos, please.

16. ami6

ami6
    from belgium

Hello, some photo's of the suspension, in an eraly stage : welded springs and thicker oil in the absorbers (dampers) DSC_1814.JPG DSC_1809.JPG DSC_1810.JPG

Zapato and Zerk like this.
  17. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Don't just chop it, turn it into a chopped coupe! I want to see a photoshop of that!

18. ami6

ami6
    from belgium

modified the angle of the wheels (don't know the right name in English) so that if lowered the wheels don't get a strange angle when the chassis is lowered. DSC_1881.JPG DSC_1880.JPG

Zerk likes this.
  19. ami6

ami6
    from belgium

Hello,

I understand that at a certain level of customing the top chop is the way to go (at the moment) not sure if this will last.
    Look, my skills are not good enough to chop a car and also, i wanted a 2cv from wich the garndmother can say : oh look a 2cv! and of witch the 2cv expert says : don't know exactly what happend but this 2cv is not original...

i wanted to stay with a non-schocking apperance, something i bit strange but not to much excess on it. The chrome wheelcovers are almost too much already.

Spoggie and Hnstray like this.
  20. ami6

ami6
    from belgium

Here's an old photo of the previous stage compared to an original height standard 2cv : DSC_2118.JPG

Hnstray and volvobrynk like this.
  21. willymakeit

willymakeit

As mentioned earlier there not common here.
    Use what you have. I will keep watching.

22. Its OK it fits HRP as well.

I got invited to a party in mid town a while back, an old friends 40th anniversary. I walked in and hollared, "OK Benno is here!!!!!" My friends wife looked up and said, "Don't be alarmed, I been knowin' Benno fo a loooong time, he's always been messed up." :D :D

All that said if one did not know what the car looked like stock they would not know that it did not come that way. That makes it about the perfect build in my book.

Hnstray and volvobrynk like this.
  23. ami6

ami6
    from belgium

Now THAT is a compliment, because al the way since years i had that car in my little grey cells I always wanted it to be the most discrete possible with just that little weird touch.... but it took me a hell of a job to optain the result wanted ...

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

You did good! Car looks Nice!

It's common practice to chop everything.
    It would be cool, but looks fine still. As is!
    You did good.

Keep at it, lad

And benno, doesn't matter what other people thinks about you, we know you are weird.

And still don't mind if people see you rolling with us!!

25. Its work and takes planning to build one that looks like it is supposed to be that way. I am always impressed with you Euro guys, it is hard to build something without a local store to buy all the pieces from. I am old and jaded, not easy to impress.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Zerk

Zerk

Thanks for the pics. I like the photo of the shock/damper being reworked. The welded spring is interesting, too. Firmer but not shortened. I imagine the spring was cooled or set in water as it was welded.

27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Not to be a smart as, but how does you weld under water?
    I'm a welder, and I can't weld under water.

28. Zerk

Zerk

I don't know. Submerge the end of the spring in a bucket while you weld in the middle? I just figured you'd need to keep the "temper" of the spring, or you would end up with no spring action after the first bump.
    Underwater welding is definitely a real thing, but will never be done on a car.