Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thought I would post a couple of articles for "flavor". One is of a cut-away of a Maserati that was in some kind of publication in 1947. Since the Modified's were an interest to my Dad, maybe he drew inspiration form this? Or maybe he could just appreciate the engineering that went into the car? Definitely advanced for the day. The other one is the Bonneville record runs out of a S.C.T.A. program Sept. 24-25, 1949. Thank you all for the comments.

scan0017.jpg scan0018.jpg

Stogy, Pufff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK boy's and girl's; I just have to ask this question. Does anybody else wonder why out of all the "high tech" stuff goin' on with that Maserati, they felt it was important to point out the radiator cap!!!! Just wondering.....The pictures I am going to post all have 8/10/47 on the back for the date. Whelsh's engine was my Uncle Don. The flying 21 stud was my Dad's. As always, I want to thank you all for the comments. Again I will say that your comments are as informative as what I have to post. Thank you.

IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1228.JPG scan0019.jpg IMG_1227.JPG scan0020.jpg IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1230.JPG scan0021.jpg IMG_1231.JPG IMG_1232.JPG scan0022.jpg IMG_1233.JPG scan0023.jpg IMG_1234.JPG scan0024.jpg

63fdsnr, Stogy, Ranchero59 and 5 others like this.
  3. firingorder1

firingorder1

The Calori roadster is gorgeous!!! Love the pipes!! Signaling a stop could be a bit tricky though!

Stogy, Ranchero59 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to elaborate on your comment firingorder1. When Richard Lacy, owner of the Early V8 Garage, and member of the Pasadena Roadster Club was looking though my Dad's album; he mentioned that someone was redoing the Calori roadster. As I'm sure most of you know it was Billy Crewl [HELLMET as he's known on the HAMB]. He had posted a build thread on the HAMB for the car. I was able to send Billy some of the pictures of the car that are in my Dad's album. I was also able to meet him at the L.A. Roadster Show a couple of years back. But getting back to your comment, I remember him saying that in hot weather the car "wore him out"!! I'm pretty sure the exhaust has a lot to do with it. But you are absolutely right...it is a beautiful car! On another note....are any of you out there going to the GNRS this weekend? I plan on being there on Saturday. If anyone would like to say "hi" feel free. 310 629-8683

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  5. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

I genuinely hope someone has approached you to make a book from these incredible images! There breathe taking too me and your sharing of them is I feel extremely generous! Such treasures, thankyou! Johnny. I love seeing racers cars covered in dirt/dust grease and oil stained!

Stogy, jmiller1918 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Asphalt Demon;
    First off, love the name. And second, thank you for the comment. As always, you are very welcome. You along with several others have expressed interest in the making of a book. I have to admit that I have entertained the thought, but do not know if that is in the card's just yet. I'm really not even sure if there is enough material for a book? Not to mention cost, etc., etc. I do plan on looking into it sometime in the near future. One thing for sure though, you on the HAMB will be the first to know!!!! Again...thank you, and you are welcome.

Stogy and Asphalt Demon like this.
  7. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I would buy that book. Love this thread. Thanks again for taking the time.

Stogy likes this.
  8. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'd love to see it made into a book. What you have is far too valuable and interesting to be allowed to fade away here. It would take some effort and you may not be able to retire to Monaco with a big yacht in the harbor from the proceeds. But the contribution to land speed racing and hot rodding would be immeasurable. Plus the fact these photos and info is your family history makes it that much better. So much LSR history has been lost or discarded this is definitely worth preserving. You would have a lot of sales here and If you were to post this on landracing.com you would have even more fans and sales. I still haven't figured out yet why this isn't sticky here.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Maybe jimmy B firringorder1, rockerhead, Ryan, Hop up and wodiemike should have a sit down F-to-F/irl/and talk about it! This is a big chunk of history to have!!

It needs planning, text, pictures and layout.

They know there shit and can take the steps to put it together!

Put up a serway (sp?) on the HAMB to see how many wants a copy, and how many wants to pre subscribe. There will be someone on here who wants one!

Stogy likes this.
  10. Being a Graphic Designer Illustrator I would be happy to lend my services to see a book done, these days you can use online book publishing such as Blurb to self publish, so there is that option which suit low volume runs.

Stogy, Floorboardinit and volvobrynk like this.
  11. firingorder1

firingorder1

Woodiemike, I saw this on FB and had to steal it. I know it really has nothing to do with this thread but I thought I'd throw it up here for the hell of it.

[​IMG]

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And Chuck Spurgin. Amazing stuff.
    Thank you Mike! Not enough superlatives to do it justice.

Stogy likes this.
  13. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More than welcome woodz...thanks

Stogy likes this.
  14. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn firingorder1....you just burst my bubble! I already had my bags packed!! HA! I have no illusion what so ever of making a lot of money off something like this. But "if" I could pull it off, I would feel great satisfaction knowing that I was able to preserve what my family has in our possession for future generations to enjoy! That would be reward enough. I want to thank you, and all the others for the support.

15. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Jimmy...that is most generous!!! I will definitely keep that in mind if I ever get it off the ground. From what I have seen of your knowledge, no doubt it would be first class!!! I thank you!

16. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very welcome BrerHair!

Stogy likes this.
  17. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great steal firingorder1! Love it. The charge of "illegal assembly" reminds me of a certain picture of the album.....

IMG_1069.JPG

Nobey, Stogy, Ranchero59 and 4 others like this.
  18. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the support volvobrynk!!

19. firingorder1

firingorder1

When I saw it I thought of this thread. Illegal assembly must have been in the subconscious. I have no doubt that it would sell. I want a copy already. I go to a garage on Thursday morning where we tell lies and the guys I meet with would all want a copy. That's a given. It should be in a book form for those who were born that little bit late can relish and enjoy.

20. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

That's a great picture Mike. Illegal Assembly. Perfect. Going to the GNRS today but if I go back tomorrow I might just give you a call.

Stogy likes this.
  21. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, back at it, so to speak. Short on time again. Again life has a way of getting in the way! HA! You all know the drill, honey do's etc. etc.. Brakes on the wife's "grocery getter". For some reason she had no sense of humor when I told her to just use the "flintstone brakes". As always I want to thank you all for the comments, and support!! Hope you enjoy. Also going to throw in a couple of pictures from the GNRS for flavor.

IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1268.JPG IMG_1269.JPG scan0001.jpg scan0002.jpg scan0003.jpg scan0004.jpg scan0005.jpg IMG_1235.JPG IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1244.JPG IMG_1243.JPG IMG_1254.JPG IMG_1252.JPG

63fdsnr, Lil'Alb, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  22. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK....more pictures for your enjoyment. The "four holer" is my Dad's banger RPU. I love the second page just from the stand point of the starting line take off!! Cool pictures, different perspective.

IMG_1270.JPG IMG_1273.JPG scan0006.jpg scan0007.jpg IMG_1272.JPG IMG_1274.JPG scan0009.jpg scan0008.jpg scan0010.jpg scan0011.jpg scan0012.jpg

63fdsnr, Stogy, Ranchero59 and 5 others like this.
  23. 296ardun

296ardun

Mike, great shots as always, thanks for keeping these pictures flowing!...Tony Capanna ran a Marmon V-16 (the caption says "Mormon" but I think the writer meant "Marmon.") These were giant cars with big V-16 engines, though they didn't make twice the power as lesser V-8.s Howard Johansen also ran one in his Crosley sedan. Tony would found Wilcap in Torrence (the name a combination of his other partner -- maybe Red Wilson, I forgot) and "Capanna". Wilcap sold nitro at good prices, made steel maincaps, and had an engine dyno strong enough to test engines like the Summer's brothers Bonneville blown Chrysler (I saw it run there)...Tony was a good guy, long-standing friendship with my boss, Don Blair, so I got the long deal on Wilcap stuff..

Stogy likes this.
  24. Excellent material! Hope to see something come of the book plan.

25. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks 296ardun! As always, your input is invaluable!!!

Stogy likes this.
  26. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THINKING........

27. KKrod

KKrod

Mike - As usual great pictures and great story!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Stogy likes this.
  28. KKrod

KKrod

Great pictures Don. I really enjoyed them. BTW a picture of the Ray Brown roadster and a half page article are found in this month of Hot Rod magazine. Perhaps this was the pinnacle of 40's dry lakes roadster??? IMG_7105.JPG

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  29. Nobey

Nobey

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Would like to read that article...

Stogy likes this.
  30. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Karl....glad to see you are still checking in!!

Stogy likes this.