Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. very nice Jer !

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jesse says that there was only one station that he listened to while in H.S., and until he was drafted in 1950. There were a few DJ’s that had migrated to SoCal from the mid-west during this time frame. They had brought with them a new kind of music, r & b. At first I found this very curious until I realized that the music scene right after WWII was big bands, jitterbug and boogie woogie.

Jesse’s sister Marge has sent me some info on the music scene back then. She was an avid fan that was involved in the local culture back in the day. She danced and dressed the part and actually managed a local music store.. She says that Jesse would go to the dances, but girls were more his focus than the dancing.
    332 (2).JPG 332.JPG 333.JPG
    I am by no means an expert on this time period, but I would sure appreciate someone who is from that period adding to this. I’m sure that some of these black musicians can be googled to actually hear what was coming out of those radios.

3. OLLIN

OLLIN

Good stuff. Big jay and Joe Houston are both still around I believe.
    Last I heard big jay was living in Glendale or burbank, and last time I saw joe Houston was about 7 years ago and he was in a rest home.
    Huggy boy is legendary here in Los Angeles.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  4. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, now that we know what station the radio was on, we have to have a face plate. 001 (2).JPG

MUNDSTER likes this.
  5. Torchie

Torchie

Jesse was in that period that was post swing and pre rock and roll.
    I would think that he listened to some Louis Jordon as well.
    Radio faceplate is looking great as well Jer.

6. that radio face plate looks terrific ! My late father was all about big bands and swing, jazz.. never a rock n'roll guy around that time frame... Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey.

7. atomickustom

atomickustom

Ah yeah, Lois Jordan's jump music.
    A lot of the R&b songs will be familiar to you; they were covered a lot by Elvis and other early white rockers.

8. jivin jer

jivin jer

002 (2).JPG Well, we've got the station located, and the backing installed. Now, installation on the dashboard.

9. I take it you have just put on a dummy dial and not an actual radio? I totally dig that it will forever more be "tuned in" to Jesse's station. Great story and fantastic detail to add!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

What's the center knob for? And what brand radio is in the car? My '41 Plymouth had a Motorola and continued to work just great when we sold it. The shop that repaired it for me said they were the best radios "back in the day" - and easy to repair. Thx

11. jivin jer

jivin jer

The radio that came with this car was not an original '41 Ford radio. I never did find out what that center knob did. This is a "faux" radio. Forever 'on station', into perpetuity.

I was not able to put in any meaningful time on the car today.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  12. steveb

steveb

loudbang and MUNDSTER like this.
  13. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

Ok, I haven't posted for a while, but I've still been sneaking out into the shop to do some work. What really needs to be done is to get the interior wrapped up (my part), so I can get it back to the trimmer to finish up. This would then leave the major issue being that stance adjustment, the rear cross member replacement.

I've been using this stool to sit on as the car is moved. This is where I want to be. LOTS of chopping to arrive here at this height. 002 (2).JPG

jocktherock likes this.
  15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

The PhotoShoppers would have a heyday with that!

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

001 (6)[1].JPG Here is the stock seat, and a look after the lower portion is reduced in size by removing the springs. Lower, but not near low enough to make things work. 002 (6).JPG

17. Remembering the previous pit-falls of comparing old images to new.. It appears that you could lower the seat an inch or an inch and a half and be closer to where you wish to be.

RH_LopezInt01.jpg
    002 (6).jpg

Car looks great Jer!
    Dave

18. Torchie

Torchie

The other thing that I would think needs to be taken into consideration is your height and build size as compared to Mr Lopez. Going to be interesting to see what further you need to do to that front seat Jer.
    Torchie.

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh Lord, Big Jer, good luck with that! Probably gonna take more than 1-1/2"

20. jivin jer

jivin jer

It's going to have to be a bunch. At first I thought that I would just put the seat on the carpet, but that won't work. Here it is with some cuts to those side panels, and the center front to get it down. 001 (5).JPG

21. daddio211

daddio211

I've never seen a one-man-show with such incredible dedication to getting things "right". You continue to impress the hell out of me with every post Jer!

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  22. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks, here's the lower seat frame upside down with those side panels marked for a cut. 001.JPG

daddio211 likes this.
  23. look forward to seeing how this works out, keep up the great work Jer...

24. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Really making me want to work on my 41 basket case.

25. Torchie

Torchie

I'd say you are on the right track Jer. If you look at the pics that Dave posted the area of the panel that he has circled is not as tall as on your seat. The pic the you posted with the cut you are making looks closer to the original.
    Torchie

26. So many of these fascinating and important little details rear their ugly heads after we are well into our projects - I admire your continued efforts to get things right Jer..

Wot a great thread!

Dave

27. jivin jer

jivin jer

Flatheads will not run in the heat with ethanol gas. Going to Gainesville (1 hour) to get pure gas. Forty gallons for $86.00. 004 (2).JPG

28. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey Jerry,your car is looking great.that seat issue you have.......i had that same problem with my Ayala ford build and i resolved it the same way.....glad to see the problem resolved

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

001 (2).JPG 001 (2).JPG Definitely an interesting look (?) at how your dealing with your seat track problem Rich. I think I'm going to do a static set up on mine at this point. 001 (2).JPG

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  30. I will be watching how this works out, my car is not chopped as much, in fact I have not built the top at this time; but it is surprising how much lower I need to sit to see out the windshield. Lots of fooling around to gain just a couple of inches.