Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to decide when to throw in the towel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Bellingham has a pretty active car community. Fourth Corner Elites, and Whatcom County Cruisers in Ferndale, are two that I know about. Get up with one of the local car clubs and make some friends. Most of those folks are willing to help brother members with a project when you hit a bump.

2. Król

Król

If you really want this car stick with it! I've built two cars during my life and both of them have taken me 9 years each!

3. prime mover

prime mover

Stop buying parts and buy some tools.

Steve Ray and jazz1 like this.
  4. If the desire is not there to build a hot rod why not sell the model A purchase a running truck like you referred too earlier. HRP

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Simple solution, burn your computer and throw a brick thru your TV, then you wont have any distractions.

6. Ricky Rocket

Ricky Rocket

Best advice yet!

7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When Mike Tyson climbs in the ring, that the right time to throw the towel. Otherwise hang in there.
    Every project comes to the point where it takes your best to solve some problems, but that´s part of the fun.... afterwards. Take your time building and learning, that´s the fun in it...Like with having sex, it isn´t necessarily more fun when you are quicker :)

8. Do something, even if it's wrong! Grab a beer and go out to your shop/garage and sit down with your car, look at it, then maybe you will decide to do something small, that often will result in another task, just do something. Maybe our advice is falling on deaf ears?

9. Buy a plane ticket and go to the Race of Gentlemen. When you get home again you will be on that car like a fat kid on a candy bar.

bald_and_grumpy and Baumi like this.
  10. Ya know my Dad would always tell me " If you spent half the time doing what your supposed to do instead of making up excuses you would be done by now"

Baumi likes this.
  11. LOL I could probably stay out of Tyson's reach for most of 10 rounds if my legs held out. What scares me is him gettin' a mouthful of my ear. A sissy kid named Paul got a mouthful of my ear in high school, maaaan does that ever hurt.

Sad thing about that was that I was the one that told him about ear bitting when the opther kids were bullying him. I didn't mean me. :oops::eek::)

12. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

DO NOT THROW IN THE TOWEL! A: those model a roadsters are getting harder to find, and harder to afford. B: you bought it for a reason. C: you can learn how to weld and beat panels. D: any pick up can haul car parts or a table saw or planer( except a pos titan or tundra) buy american. the chevy here took me 19years- bit off way more than i could chew. it was rotted up to the door handles but, like your roadster, they make every part. i laerned to weld, then cut out and re-weld on that car. now i am putting together a 28-29 roadster. all new territory. ask many questions and go at your own pace good luck. ron

13. Budget36

Budget36

Truer words have never been spoken...get it cleared off and a space around it.

14. Karma on the ear gnawing

there Bean....

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

A "project" isn't always the right way to go.
    Most of us buy projects because, let's face it, they're less expensive then drivers, so you can get something that excites you in your garage "cheap", and add parts as $ comes along.
    The problem with this for those who have no skills to do stuff themselves is that they usually wind up being very long term deals and you mostly get to go to shows and watch others who actually get to enjoy their cars.
    You mentioned wanting to get a something "cool" that you can enjoy and I can tell you from experience, you'll LOVE whatever it is that replaces your project when it's actually something you can get in and enjoy.
    Don't look at the "i'll probably never get another chance" aspect, no one knows what the future holds. Look at the here and now, and the reality is you want something you can drive, not something you can use as a bench in your garage.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Fuck it, you failed, it's worthless, i'll take it off your hands so you have room to put broken washers and dressers in your garage instead. Apparently you have the space, why get rid of it?

17. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Dont get discouaged ,I have hit a snag or 2 along the way ruptued discs in my lower back ,had a eall bad dat yesteday , woked on the car a little yesteday then got sick running a 102 plus temp had blood sugar fall and just feel washed out,ill hit it again when i feel better ,keep at it .

18. You are no doubt absolutely correct, I was teasing the hell out of Paul that day. In my defense I didn't consider it bullying as I figured he could tease the hell out of me if he wanted. I did keep the big kids from pulling his pants down in the cafeteria the same day I told him about the ear biting. ;)

19. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

I built my 55 stude, drove it 3 months and totaled it. I got married, started a family, built a house, one day 9 1/2 yrs. later I am out in the garage and realize I almost can't see the stude because it has turned into a storage shelf for everything one could imagine. I decided to get to work rebuilding it, since doing that, my step son has driven it at the HAMB drags, Little River and San Antonio. I can't describe the feeling. There can be a whole lot more to this hobby than just building a car. That car was a bridge between a step dad and a step son. I thank god I didn't give up. The picture below is from the day we loaded up to go to San Antonio Raceway to let him race it his first time on his 17th birthday. 455820-1364130577-1a111b64d15625363b95c51180eab636.jpg

20. Go ahead and list it in the classifieds,I'm sure someone on the Hamb would love to take it off your hands and you can find and buy a running pickup like you really want and be riding by spring. HRP

21. Yer my HERO bean!!!!

22. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

We have all been there,You just have to keep thinking this car is not going to beat me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm going back to carpentry, and fix stuff in the garage and house. I'm wasting far too much time thinking about wiring both of my projects. Seeing that car in flames on the way to the Nats South was the thing that did it for me. Far more relaxing to watch other guys build stuff here on the HAMB than see mine burn. Bob

jeffd1988 likes this.
  24. oj

oj

Huh?? Going back to bending nails? Whats the sport in that? By now the guy that owned that car has started to make a better one, guaranteed and he's cut from the same mold as you. Go ahead and butcher up some some 2 x 4's but it'll turn into a better workbench or a rack to hang fenders from. Messin with wood ain't gonna get it done for ya.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, no one posts 21,464 times on a hot rod forum and then builds bird houses. :eek: So one car burned up, there are hundreds of thousands that didn't, sounds like good odds to me.

Just in case this helps
    upload_2017-5-5_14-15-16.png

clunker, belair and oj like this.
  26. I (slightly) see a skull in that flame. That's freekin' spooky as hell! I will never stop building hot rods now!

Steve Ray and Bandit Billy like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Front half of the garage roof needs to be replaced, back window needs to be installed and insulation and sheetrock finished, I'll be busy until August. Still have crap to sell & list on "that auction site". Not selling anything that will go to my grandson. Just trying to block out electrical thoughts. Bob

28. "Throw in the towel?" That's a tough question and everybody is different in how they come to their decision. For me, throw in the towel when it comes to cars....some days I do feel I should sell all my crap and buy a nice driver. Throw in the towel of life, I get that feeling more often than getting rid of my junk, so I guess I'm a diehard car nut?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  29. stimpy

stimpy

well I have to now , medical reasons and have a mortgage to pay . priorities . and not just the car is going ...

30. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

A car is supposed to be fun. Only you can decide what fun is. Life is too short to do crap you don't want to do.

Bandit Billy likes this.