Register now to get rid of these ads!

at the Diner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Jan 28, 2006.

1. squirrel

squirrel

My 14 yo son Gary and I have been working on his 59 Chevy pickup for the past year. We got it running a couple weeks ago, and now it's pretty much done....for now. Has the stock 235 which we completely rebuilt. I finally got around to taking a picture of it.

And this other car was at the Diner tonight too. you've probably seen it somewhere before.

2. 51 pickem up

51 pickem up
    from mosheim,tn

looks you and your son are doing a nice job on the truck.

3. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

I dig the aluminum slots! Truck's looking great...give your son a pat on the back for us all here, and keep up the good work!

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Looks good. I have a fondness for that body style.

5. Dirty2

Dirty2

I have a friend building one of those trucks. I am starting to like them. Yall did a great job. :D

6. willysrod

willysrod
    from upstate NY

Cool.any 14 yo with that kind of taste has a real future

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Great that you're working on a project with your son. Going through your teenage years with a bond between father and son will pay dividends later on. Although my son is into the computer field our early shared interest in things mechanical, especially cars, has kept us close. A birthday gift of a '69 Z-28 for his 16 birthday and the subsequent shared buildup was/is priceless. He's 40 now and just starting the re-restoration of it as a G-machine.

Frank

8. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Is that Squeege's car? Looks like it. Did you buy that truck from a guy in Sahuarita? I sold one like that to a guy here about 3 years ago. He kept it a while and resold it. Would be funny if it would up on the HAMB, huh? Great deal to be into a project with your son!

9. squirrel

squirrel

That is indeed Squeeg's car.

The truck came from Reno...there's more of the story here.

10. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Cool, thanks for sharing!

11. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

My son and I went through this in 1976. His first car was a '54 pickup and he was 16 when we started and 17 when we finished it and he put it on the road. Here's a pic taken last year of our his truck and my car at the Rebel Run in Lima Ohio. He still has it, keeps it covered in his garage. We've always been close. Keep up the work with your son it pays off.

Sure doesn't seem like 30 years has passed:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

12. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

My second project was my own 59 chevy pickup...which is probably why we're doing this with Gary's truck. My dad wasn't into cars, but he did help me out as far as letting me do what I wanted, and buying some parts and tools and stuff that I needed.

13. 4tford

4tford

It's good to see father and son projects to teach kids today that the hobby is fun and rewarding and they can learn how to plan and reach goals by doing so. I started with my son with his first car at the age of 16 and we been doing projects together the last 10 years. Tell your son congratulation on his truck!

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

good looking truck. i let my boys start driving my 57 chev wagon when they were 12. both boys now grown and still into cars, in fact, saturday night i took both my boys, 28&30 and my grandson to the monster truck show in indy. what a blast