Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

one is at the nethercut museum in the valley

2. gyronaut

gyronaut

Easily explained...

...by the date on the posting.

Or, we're currently living in the alternative messed up future thanks to Sherman!

[​IMG]

3. gyronaut

gyronaut

To get back on track from all the silliness, here's a shot of what looks to be a well-traveled Tucker from 1967...

[​IMG]

4. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Even more interesting is that this Tucker is the front engine Tucker #1046. The photo is probably taken late 1959 to 1964. There appears to be a 1959 Ford and a 1960 Merc in the photo behind the Tucker.

Unfortunately there is not enough of the sign to figure out the location.

5. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Here's a recent drawing of a Tucker Coupe that turned up. Appears to be drawn by Alex Tremulis.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. painkiller

painkiller

#1036 is going to be at the R-M Monterey Auction in August.

7. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

8. jbrown2112

jbrown2112

I have really enjoyed reading all of this, thanks to everyone that has kept it going over the years. Thanks again for all the wonderful reading.

9. gyronaut

gyronaut

Great shot of the Rocket V8-powered #1046 from historian and restorer Martyn Donaldson...
    [​IMG]

10. ditchdigger

ditchdigger
    from Eugene,OR

Wow. Great thread. My late wifes grandfather was the mechanic that put the Mercury frame under #1046 for Janacek. Shelby passed away about 12 years ago. I remember asking him about it sometime in the 90's and he said he was presented with the Tucker and the "old mercury frame" and told to "just make it work". He mentioned changing the length but not much else. I don't think he was particularly proud of it.

I remember seeing photos of the body on its side on old mattresses while Shelby was working on the underside but I can not find any on the CD's full of family pictures that we were given. I will keep looking.

I grew up seeing that car in every local indoor car show. I even lived two blocks from Janacek Motors for a few years and would see it there occasionally.

11. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

I don't remember seeing this

Attached Files:

12. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

First time I have seen this photo also.

13. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Another photo of this Tucker that was for sale on a used car lot in Berkley CA. surfaced on the Vintage photos thread the other day. The Tucker is in the same position but the car next to it has changed.
    tucker2.jpg

14. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Here is the photo I got from a friend back in the 80s of the same car on the same lot shot on a different day.
    [​IMG]

15. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

This was the photo that finally solved where this was located. I spent hundreds of hours researching these photos and finally found the location using Google Earth and spotting the porch on the building in the background that is still there today. All the obvious clues were dead ends. The phone number was only used a couple months between directories. Berkeley Site 2010.jpg

16. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Any details on where this was taken or where you found the photo?

17. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

18. gyronaut

gyronaut

I first saw the car wash pic on Nov 17, emailed the poster for more info, but got no reply. The original description on Vintage Philadelphia said: "August 4, 1948 - Kids cooling off at a car wash in Upper Darby on the hood of a Tucker.". I'm not so sure, as this automated roller-type of car wash appears to have been first invented and implemented in the early 1950's.

UPDATE:

From Temple University: http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15037coll3/id/44929/rec/1

Maybe it was published in 1948. Here's the info:

Title: "Kids cool off in car washing station"
    Date: 1948-08-04
    Photographer: Irving, William
    Subject: Car washes Tucker automobile Children Amusements Human beings--Effect of climate on
    Organization-Building: Minit-Man Car Wash (Upper Darby,Pa.)
    Geographic Subject: Upper Darby (Pa.) Philadelphia (Pa.)
    Personal Names: Arnello, Marie Del Grippo, John Dougherty, Jim Nash, Bobby
    Description:
    Marie Arnello, Bobby Nash, John Del Grippo, and Jim Dougherty cool off as they ride through the Minit-Man Car Wash in Upper Darby on the hood of a Tucker.

...and it does have exhausts:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  19. FC49

FC49

20. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

don't remember seeing this pic could be wrong ?

Attached Files:

gyronaut likes this.
  21. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

This picture is part of a set of photos that were taken of the Tucker Tin Goose.

The Director of the Tucker Club Archives is currently working on sorting through the thousands of photos in the Club's collection. Many of them, never seen before by the public, should be available for viewing once the Club's new website is fully operational later this year.

22. noboD

noboD

Tucker Fan, have you seen the display at AACA museum yet?

23. noboD

noboD

Tucker Fan 48, do you have any information on a tucker dealer that was in Harrisburg, Pa.? Pictures, names, address?

24. huffreport

huffreport

Have you ever heard of Steve Korosa in Chicago? I bought a bunch of stuff from him about 10 years ago. He was a Tucker employee. I doubt he is still alive, as he was about 94 years old when I bought this stuff from him. He listed an ad in "Old Cars Weekly", under the "Kenny's Klunkers" section. It said something about some Tucker stuff for sale. It was $110, and I called him, thinking it was already sold, but to my amazement, it had not. He said he had gotten a bunch of calls, but everyone wanted to see digital photos!!! (early days for that, sort of), and obviously at 90+ years, he wasn't likely to send digital photos to anyone. He offered me everything for $90. He seemed to be really pissed by the other callers.... So, I got the $20 discount just for... well, you know....

I have photos somewhere... I need to dig a little. I have the entire envelope of stuff, including blueprints, but I'm not sure where the originals are at the moment. I have a lot of stuff. But, I do know I made some scans. It's crazy stuff. I even have a poster from the auction they had after the company went bankrupt. I don't think the Tucker website hosts a forum anymore, but a long time ago, I did post some of this stuff there. If you haven't seen those scans, I'll be glad to post them here.

Kevin

25. huffreport

huffreport

Found an example... Here is an expense report from a trip Preston Tucker made to Cuba.... I must have put the piece of fabric behind the paper to make sure the scanner would pick up the details.... I haven't looked at this in many years.

Enjoy!

Kevin tuckerbankruptcy2.JPG

gyronaut likes this.
  26. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Cool! Please post more!

27. huffreport

huffreport

tuckerauction1.JPG

This is the only image I was able to upload tonight. The others seem to be too large, and upside down, but here's at least proof that they exist.

Kevin

gyronaut likes this.
  28. Century

Century

Apparently there's a Tucker at the Canadian International AutoShow this weekend from the Michigan-based Gilmore Car Museum.

[​IMG]

29. 7314haywood

7314haywood
    from phoenix

For what its worth around 1967 to 1971 window I believe at a Museum in north side of Chicago I think on RT 41? There was a Tucker I think dark in color along with the Bat Mobile in the museum. I think Elvis gold Cadillac also. I was young back then. I lived on the south side of Chicago and would shop with my parents and the Ford City Mall never knowing it was the assembly plant. Now around 2000 at Barrett Jackson here in AZ was one that sold for I believe 250k. Don't know the VIN number of either

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015