Register now to get rid of these ads!

Odins701 is in the hospital with burns over most of his body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5756r, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Awesome Cliff - man have you made a lot of progress on ALL fronts! Will be interesting to see how your new bionic hand works out - pretty amazing that they can do these days. Can't wait to see you and your hotrod go down the road.

Take care,
    B&S

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Can't say it better than that ...

BTW - the new hand looks awesome , a bit sci-fi even :cool: .

racingonerobb likes this.
  3. odins701

odins701

Thanks guys! Dad is getting close too finishing my hotrod for me, so driving it with my bionic hand is in the near future! My task now is to find the artwork to go on the arm piece... I'm thinking something like this...
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. A hot rod arm and hand!! Will your wife let you paint flames on it? :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. cw

cw
    from Midland

May God be with you and turn this accident into something beautiful for you Cliff!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  6. Man,I am happy to see you well on your way to recovery and ready to get that old hot rod on the road! HRP

7. odins701

odins701

Flames? maybe haha :) Think it be really cool with a Cyborg driving an antique hotrod! :)

drdave likes this.
  8. Haha! That would be cool! You might end up being the first guy to ever get a "tattoo" on a bionic arm. :)

9. Well, that sucks about Genro's. I got burned pretty bad (3rd degree) on my left hand back in the 80's, I wore flamed swim trunks home from the hospital! ;-)

10. Gosh, I must apologize, I got so excited for you over the cool hand and arm, that I didn't think about the origins of all this and in retrospect, suggesting flames was in poor taste. I was just thinking as a hot rodder, and not actually using my brain. Sorry about that, Cliff. I should have gone with my first impulse and suggested pinstriping instead.

11. Your positive attitude is quite inspiring. I can't help but think about the "six million dollar man" after seeing that bionic hand. Get your car done and cram the throttle to the firewall! You have nothing to be afraid of......

12. odins701

odins701

No worries! :) I'm all about flames!
    [​IMG]

jakespeed63, drdave and tommyd like this.
  13. odins701

odins701

:) That's cool!

14. odins701

odins701

Next week I get fitted in the test socket, they make adjustments, and then they make the permanent socket.... real soon!

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

More good news for you! I hope it just keeps coming your way.

16. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Well, I've never had a gas can in my shop. I imagine I'll never will after reading this. God be with you brother.

17. odins701

odins701

Alright! The department head for CIS, at school, is going to ask his students for someone to create the graphic art to go on my arm piece! Can't wait to see what they come up with! :cool:

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just so I understand, you still have your original hand and it isn't working because of the injuries ? The new hand will go over it and make your arm that much longer ?

Wondering how that will be to get used to if that is the case.
    It looks pretty impressive, (the new hand) how will it work, how will you make it move. Sorry if I missed that info.

19. odins701

odins701

That is correct, i still have my hands but the are mostly non functional from nerve damage. the new hand will be an extension of mine and will be longer. if i cannot adjust to that, then amputation will be my next option. there are 2 sensors in the arm piece that detect nerve signals as i try to open or close my hand. it's calibrated to detect even faint signals. so i have and open/close option for whatever grip pattern i'm in. then to change to a different pattern (like from key grip to fine pinch) i would either double tap open or close (depending on how setup) to move to the next grip pattern, and again for the next and so on. Since i'm not using the wrist rotator, i could use the button on the back of the hand to switch patterns.

20. Wow! That is really something and sounds quite sophisticated to be able to pick up nerve pulses to work. Of course, maybe they all work that way for all I know, but it sounds pretty amazing just the same! I'm sure you can't wait to have it all set up and working. So proud for you to get this!

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi Odins701.Is that what is referred to as an exoskeleton?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. odins701

odins701

no sir, it's an extension!

23. Odins701..Is the photo above with you standing in front of flames?? If so..I had my left arm burned like that back in 1939 at the age of 6..not much was known about things you speak of back then,,,I did not have anything done to my arm back then and today no one even knows it was burned..my elbow finally got to where I could open arm fully,the small finger was the most damaged and I cannot straighten it till this day,BUT no one goes around with fingers extended to staaight,,My hand usuall is in a cupped form so no one notices the scars,,The pain was the worse thing I remember.no sleep for a soild week.then the next was when doctor removed the scab from inside arm from elbow to wrist...Hang tight .time is a great healer

jakespeed63 likes this.
  24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi Odins.Thanks for the answer.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. odins701

odins701

I'm standing way behind the flames :D

26. odins701

odins701

27. odins701

odins701

28. odins701

odins701

29. That's so awesome Cliff! I thought of you the other day when I saw a news article about a couple of guys getting bionic hands. It was in Sweden I think.

30. odins701

odins701

I finally got my bionic hand!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]