Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Seat belts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ric, Feb 5, 2015.

1. I am looking for old style lap belts, by that I mean the so called air craft buckle but more importantly I want the old fashioned webbing that is more coarse (not sure if that is the right description but that is what it looks like to me) than the modern nylon stuff. I want new belts, not old stock or used. Any one have any leads ?

2. Try looking here:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=seat belt webbing old style
    There is a guy that hits all the major swap meets in the mid west that carries the webbing you are looking for, we call him the seat belt guy. I doubt he makes it out your way, if you have buckles he as everything else needed to make up a set. They are not certified, so you can't take them racin', but a lot of guys use 'em and some of them guys don't drive worth a flip and I haven't heard of a failure yet.

You may also try Simpson, they will build you belts from scratch and they may have the older style webbing if you ask.

Oh I meant to say seat belts are a good idea, contrary to popular belief I don't have anything against seat belts.

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. mustangsix

mustangsix

5. The original seatbelts in my 56 Fairline are similar to what you are describing. I haven't looked, but assume that someone makes reproductions of them.
    IMG_2254resize.jpg

6. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

7. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

Page 7 of Julianos online catalog old style latch with stiff webbing.

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

I remember the old man had a set of those lap belts (dealer?) installed on a '60 Galaxy. They were heavy material with the flap buckle like the ones guthriesmith posted. White, I thought they were cool as hell. Would definitely look great on a period ride.

9. The ones that Guthriesmith posted are "Not" the old aircraft style

10. True, I guess I was mainly thinking of the coarse material and the period look.

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

http://www.lowyusa.com/

These people can sell you everthing you will need and even sew it, its where a lot of belt manuf get their webbing

12. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

The site in post 12 has some good stuff. I know that AMC & Stude used the coarse weave into the mid 60's.

13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The belts in Guthriesmith's are the old Ford style which have to be coarse in order to work with the style of latch they came with.

14. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Anyone know a source for what I would call the old bomber or fight style belts (WWII period or shortly there after) with the shoulder harness? You can get the modern racing harness used all over the place (because they go out of date so quickly) but not wild about the bright colors and stitched on logos. Guess black would be OK, but like above, I like the older looking webbing and no logos.

15. stimpy

stimpy

16. 5window

5window

Try Andover Restraints-good belts good price good service