Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early 50's chev question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aussie56, Feb 5, 2015.

1. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

I am looking for some fender trim for my 1952 chevy 2 door and having no luck as it seems no one reproduces it, not know alot of the differences between 49-50 to 51-52 are the front fenders on the 49-50 the same as the 51-52 not so much were the park lights and grill meet more along the side where the trim moulding runs across middle to the doors.

They sell repo ones for 49-50 so if they are the same I could use them.

Thanks,

Adam

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

49-50 fender trim is different from 51-52, being that the 49-50 is a simple straight line trim while the 51-52 has a "step". You may have to check the Meat Swaps or EBay or maybe a fellow hamber may have the trim.

3. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

Thanks for that.

I think that it where the problem is. My car is not original and all I want is the thin strip style trim that runs across the fender and door.

I have seen lots of photos on custom 50-54 chevs that do this so that is probably what I am looking for and not the stepped original piece. I wasn't aware the original piece was stepped until today.

The truck and car shop in Cali sell the 49-50 trim for a decent price so I will go them was only concern was whether the shape of the fender was the same on the 49-50 to 51-52 as I don't have access to try and if I buy them and they don't fit it is hard for me to return being in Australia and all.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The front fender contours and dimensions are the same in the area where the trim mounts. You can use '49/'50 fender and door moldings on your car.

For the record, '51 front fender trim has the contoured molding at the wheel opening, the '52 has a straight front fender molding. The rear fender moldings also differ between '51 and '52. (USA models...not sure about Aussie versions)

Ray

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The fenders are the same, just the trim is different so you may have to drill some new mounting holes in order to get the 49-50 trim in the right place on your 52. The Truck and Car Shop is a pretty decent place to buy parts. I live about 25 from them, so I buy parts for my truck from them and I've been satisfied.

6. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

Thanks guys that's exactly what I needed to hear.
    Mine is a US car so all good.

Much appreciated.