Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chevy 210 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rsg2506, Jul 10, 2014.

1. squirrel

squirrel

302 4 speed makes me think that lowering the 55 may not be the thing to do....but what do I know

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Whatever model it is, it ROCKS...
    Also agree on the early Torq Thrust wheels..
    Very nice car.. Good luck, and keep us in the loop on what you do..

rsg2506 likes this.
  3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

150 2 door sedan is 1211, 210 2 door sedan is 1011, delray is a 1011A, Belair 2 door sedan is 1011D

4. Flamed48

Flamed48

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406164326.170691.jpg
    Here's an idea

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2many projects likes this.
  5. I think you scored a nice rolling restoration project there neighbor. 22K may have been a little steep on the price but I know it is what you were looking for.

6. I still have drum brakes on my 55 and I drove it for years on bias ply tires, but for it's next go around I think disc might be in the mix. A fun car with a ton of aftermarkey parts available. Here's a couple pictures of mine. It's been sitting for a long time but my son has taken an interest and is now working on it.

Back in the day (around 1976)

[​IMG]

Today,

55chevy2.JPG

Looks like you're on your way. Have fun with it!

LOST ANGEL and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. rsg2506

rsg2506

A couple updates,

I pulled the 302 (cam went flat) and acquired a 454 to take it's place. I also scored a 12 bolt posi out of 69 camaro for it. This should keep me busy through the winter....

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  8. Something about a primer 55 Chevy with no front bumper, nasty stance, big motor. Really like the look, yours is perfect!-MIKE:cool::D

About 1972,
    620.jpg

9. rsg2506

rsg2506

We dropped the big block in place today. The motor mounts move the engine forward 3/4 of an inch and gives it just enough room to clear the hei and valve covers. I had to to remove the centerlink from the steering to clear the oil pan for now. It looks like I'll need different pan. I'll need to figure out clutch linkage too....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rsg2506

rsg2506

Sanderson Headers are in snug and it looks like I have clearance issue with the drivers side tierod hitting one of the tubes. Thoughts? I sent sanderson some pics but haven't heard back yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. So you have a limited turning radius.......big wup.........suck it up..........wadya building an autocross queen or a 1/4 mile monster.

12. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Oh man, I can hear it just looking at it...

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. rsg2506

rsg2506

Turning left is probably over rated.....

14. Don't say that near a NASCAR fan! :D

rsg2506 likes this.
  15. Looks like the motor needs to be back about 3/4" for the tube to clear the tie rod. Did Sanderson know you planned on moving the motor 3/4" forward?

16. rsg2506

rsg2506

Yeah..it's 3/4" forward. I gave the specs to Sanderson before I bought them. I sent them some pictures but have not heard back yet. Hopefully there's a solution without major surgery.

17. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

That's the problem I'm having now. Everything is new in the drum brake system, and it's not up to the performance of the car in my opinion. I'd like to go with a front disc brake system, but I want to keep it period looking, don't want a booster, and they have to be able to fit inside the magnesium Americans. Ideas?

18. rsg2506

rsg2506

You could run disks with a non power master cylinder. I had that setup in my 34 and my 48.

19. rsg2506

rsg2506

I gave up on the Sanderson headers and bought a set of Earl Williams headers and mounts. No more stearing issues and everything seems to fit nice.

[​IMG]

20. belair

belair

Kind of late to the party, but here is mine.

Attached Files:

rsg2506 likes this.
  21. Glad ya got the header issue sorted out. It's irritating to buy new stuff and not have it fit. The header situation on my car pushed me over the edge to go with an 'axle. Your car is gonna be tough!

22. Somewhere I saw a modified crossmember for BB engines, maybe Danchuk, if you still have that problem.

Clutch linkage shouldn't be too hard. If you use the factory bellhousing or a tri-five blowproof, you can shorten the engine side bellcrank pivot bracket. The bracket bolts to the bellhousing instead of the engine block. You may also need to alter the rod connected to the throw out bearing fork, but everything else should be fine.

23. rsg2506

rsg2506

I have a lakewood scattershield (the one with the provision for the bellcrank bracket on the side). Do I use the 55 clutch fork and pivot ball from the original?

24. You can use the original fork. The ball might work, but I used the supplied Lakewood pivot ball.

Some people use '57 bellcranks as they are of a better design.

25. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Nice project you got going thanks for posting. I can't get enough 55 builds. Good luck with the big block change over.
    Here's a picture of mine it's a SB but the bellhousing is the same. All stock 55 clutch linkage works great. Ron

[​IMG]

lawman likes this.
  26. rsg2506

rsg2506

Thanks for the picture...that helps!

27. rsg2506

rsg2506

I checked the run out on my Lakewood scattershield and bolted up the tko 600 for a trial fit. I needed to cut the tunnel a little but it seemed to fit pretty good. I'm using a 69 camaro shift handle.

[​IMG]

28. Not bad if you're into sedans

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You have got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!
    There is NOTHING more killer than a 55 Chevy hot rod seeedan, and I don't mean no
    drawer pull grilled angel haired mud bucket either!!!!!!!!
    SO THERE
    Bob\'s 55.jpg

rsg2506 likes this.
  30. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

What did you decide on your drum brakes? The weather has broke and I got a hundred or so miles on mine at the first of the week after sitting pretty much all winter, and no sticking or pulling during a hard stop. Mine are staying. By the way, I am into sedans too and yours is turning out nicely.