Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

That really looks great George!!

pragmatist likes this.
  2. Just tuned in and all I can say is WOW! Great work!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

3. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

thanks Andy! Hey,who did the louvers on your T decklid? I want to have my decklid and a roof insert done for this car.

Thanks ct1932!

4. been here lurking for a while, thought I better say wow myself. I love it.

5. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

jeez man that is incredible

6. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Great build!
    Arent fordor door hinges different than coupe hinges?
    Or couldnt fordor hinges be used on coupes?
    Did youmake them work?
    Micky

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks for the compliments HarleyJim!

Thanks!

Mickey, I am no expert on the differences between the models. Fordors may indeed have hinges that don't work on a coupe.that I do not know. For this project, I used all the fordor parts from the b pillar forward that's why it all works without issues.Had I swapped doors or hinges from a real coupe there may have been more modification required to make it all work.

8. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

The coupe hinges are very different from the 4dr hinges. It will work in this case because the pillar, hinges and doors are all 4dr parts. It is common to use 4dr doors to replace missing 5w coupe doors, but there is then the hinge issue. I have heard of modifying the 4dr hinge to work for a 5w hinge but have never seen one the modified ones.

Attached Files:

9. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks for posting jseery, I just looked at my 5 window vs. Fordor hinges and they are exactly like the pics you posted.

10. Am re-reading this as I suffer from CRS..... halfway through and loving it all over again.

11. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Thanks for clearing it up!
    Sooo i have the coupe body , fordoor doors with hinges....
    Situation ....
    Where can i get some coupe hinges?
    Being from germany , there are no swap meets with these parts

12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

13. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Ha ha! Yeah I have that problem too! Glad you're enjoying the build a second time!

Before going nuts finding real coupe hinges,mock up what you have and see if the hinges can be reshaped to work.

Thanks 39 guy!

14. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Yep i will for sure
    I also have some 32-34 pick up hinges somewhere ...

15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg Changing gears a little.Getting tired of all the welding and grinding! I wanted a set of COOL buick finned aluminum brake drums for this hotrod! First off,There's quite a few ways to do this swap and they all require some type of machining.After doing some looking around here on the HAMB i decided on using F2 Ford backing plates with '40 style hubs.After seperating the hubs from the drums,the Ford hub outside diameter needed to be turned down slightly so that the drum would sit flat on the hub. Then a small ring spacer was made and pressed onto the hub. this is to center the Buick drum on the Ford hub. Once the drum fit snug on the hub it was offset so the 5.5 bolt pattern could be drilled in the drum.The original Buick studs will work in the Ford hubs once the holes are enlarged slightly. They are longer than the Ford studs and have a large shoulder to clear the thicker drum. Once the hub/drum assembly was mocked up on the spindle with the F2 backing plates,the drum contatced the backing plate slightly. Light grinding of the backing plate lip was all that was required to gain clearance..I've seen where others had to cut a relief in the drum to clear the BP but mine worked out nicely! The F2 uses 2 inch wide shoes with self energizing effect that should give alot of stopping power. I plan on doing the same setup on the rear axle too!.

16. rat nasty

rat nasty

Thanks for sharing this!

17. Man o man! Nice job dude!

18. Brakes look great! Thanks for sharing!

19. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Your welcome guys! Other people have used the later 46-48 style hubs with great success which may be an easier swap. I had these 40 style hubs that were given to me by D rod here on the HAMB(thanks D!). So I used what I had and it worked out great! Bruces Machine shop in Lakewood,Nj handled the hub work for me as I don't have a lathe.

20. pumpman

pumpman

And it just keeps getting better and better, feel like a kid in a candy store.

21. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Nice work!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Pumpman!

Thanks rcnut, love your 32 build !

23. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Thanks

Same here with your build !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Just amazing work! HRP

25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg Got back to welding today and I can finally say, IT HAS A ROOF ON IT!! After much procastination(yeah, I do that alot!) I finished welding in the c-pillar patches and and smoothed them out. Once they were done,I clamped the roof back down, marked a cutting line with a scribe on the inside of the roof.Then let the cutting begin! I was worried that the fitment for welding would have some problems once the cut was made but it all worked out nicely!.lots of clamps and carefully tack welding it in place. Working slowly and skipping around to avoid warpage gave me the results I was looking for. More welding tomorrow on drivers side and the roof will be one with the body!

brEad, wedjim, K.L and 1 other person like this.
  26. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Very impressive ! Gonna be working on my 34 five window conversion soon. Your inspiring me. Keep the pics coming please.

27. scoggman

scoggman

Lookin awesome! Motivation!

28. OK I am running out of things to say. I thought I was good but this is amazing I am ready to ask for an autograph!!

29. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Hrp!

More pics to come koolkat! Get working on yours so we can race our " converted coupes"at Trog 2015!

Thanks Scoggman!

Ha ha! Thanks for the compliment! I'll bring my favorite pen to Trog! Ha!

30. Looks great man !
    Almost time to sit in it and make motor noises:)