Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods AV8 driveline angle theory

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Meyer, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Meyer

Meyer

I am building an AV8 with my son. '48 flathead, '39 trans, '40 banjo rear, '40 torque tube that I am going to shorten. I am going to fabricate a crossmember from scratch to go under the transmission, mount the pedals to and run an unsplit wishbone (still debating that). I am using the 46-48 bones for the rear, planning to relocate the lug on the torque tube and run those, from reading they may need some slight tweaking.

I have a question on driveline angles. I have searched and found varying information.

The car is sitting on all fours, body on it, engine mounted and trans bolted to engine. The frame has a downward rake of about 1 degree (nose down) and I like how that sits. The engine is level. I determined this by placing an angle finder on the top of the block where the intake bolts on. The rear is bolted in obviously but the pinion moves up and down with my floor jack and I am trying to determine what that angle needs to be.

I know on a standard open driveline they ujoints need to be in phase. What about this situation? The only u joint is on the back of the trans, the driveshaft bolts to the rear pinion via sleeve. Seems the whole driveline should be in a straight line if possible, correct? If not, what is the theory? What are the tolerances?

Thanks

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Non issue with a torque tube . Never run 0 angle in a drive line static setting and as the suspension moves the angle is always changing. Try for 2-3* static at the front. With a TT most drive shaft theory is moot as everything is fixed save the trans connection.