Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My centrifugal advance is retarded - help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cw, Feb 1, 2015.

1. cw

cw
    from Midland

I have a Mallory single point centrifugal advance distributor in our 1929 Ford. The distributor has electronic (unilite) ignition.

I was checking the timing and when she fires, as I accelerate, the timing first goes backward - retards then at a certain rpm it starts to advance.

I checked the 2 springs and the plates and all seems fine?

Help please!

2. Worn distributor gear? Too much end play?

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

is it possible it the unit was intended for a distributor that rotated the opposite direction?

Ray

tb33anda3rd and volvobrynk like this.
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Does it run? And stumbles when you rev it?
    Did you drive it in or just installed it.

I've seen it a couple of times, that a Bosch 009 distributor for a vw bug is mistaken for a Bosch counterpart for a Volvo b18d sport. The look a lot a like, except the turn apposite direction.

I know that the the 009 is a good and popular match with a banger engine, so maybe you got a distributor meant for a Volvo, made by Malory, and the seller didn't know.

If I'm totally off, feel free to ignore me.

5. cw

cw
    from Midland

Thanks - I should have mentioned that it is not new and used to work just fine.

6. You failed to tell what engine is in your 29 Ford,,Is it a stock 4 cyl Modle A engine or something else??

7. cw

cw
    from Midland

Good point it is a stock model a

8. cw

cw
    from Midland

It will start and run but spits back through the carb at low rpm

9. cw

cw
    from Midland

I have a timing guage mounted and I put a timing light on it.
    You can see the timing retard and at a certain rpm it advances back to where it should be.

10. cw

cw
    from Midland

Any ideas?

11. is it a complete Mallory Dist for the modle A or a stock modle A dist with a Mallory conversion in it?
    You are aware that a stock modle A dist has an adjustment screw under the rotor?..Pull rotor and look at it...maybe its loose

12. Contact Mallory.

13. cw

cw
    from Midland

It is a complete mallory single point distributor for 4 cylinder Model A.

14. 5280A2

5280A2

On a Model A distributor end play won't change timing. The distributor gear drive is located in the valve chamber and the direction of rotation tends to favor additional advance if the drive develops end play. I suspect the spring in the timing cover that is intended to control end play in the cam has broken and your cam is walking back and forth in the block and affecting your timing. You might be able to check that without removing the timing cover by inserting the timing pin and attempting to feel for forward and backward movement of the timing gear as you change engine RPM. Another check would be to remove the timing side cover and watch it during operation, but that can get a little messy. Good luck!

15. cw

cw
    from Midland

Thanks 5280A2
    So if I pull the timing side cover, do you think I would be able to check the cam for movement?

16. That initial retard may be built into your control mod, perhaps by design or perhaps by accident.
    OK sounds like if it is the control mod it is not by design, unless of course it is not an ignition problem at all and there is some other cause for your stumble.

17. would an erratic voltage to the control module do this? generator needs the rpm's to produce enough volts?

18. You should be running off the battery. The battery is a buffer between the voltage supplier and the end user.