Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jimmy Addison and The Silver Bullet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stinsonart, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks for posting Dr Hemi.. Fantastic information! I'll be back later when I have time to read through everything

2. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  3. Motor City

Motor City
    from Michigan

I grew up in the neighborhood behind Jim's Sunoco Station. Never new what you would see there. Anybody know what happened to Al Adams, that was also in the Chrysler performance crowd. He had a beautiful Dart. He lived in the same neighborhood, also.

4. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

I spoke to Al briefly at Carlisle last summer.

5. what great thread. i grew up in se wi. and the legend of the bullet was alive and well there. and it still is. my son just graduated from ferris state this past spring. he was hired two weeks later by chrysler. he works as a engineer in future diagnostics. he has been working on hellcats all summer. now that he is all settled in a house with a garage he wants to bring his super bee out there. this bee has a 500 inch indy motor in it. the car hauls ass. after drag week you may see it on woodward. its good to know there is a new batch of chrysler engineers who like to street race out there. if anyone has any connections at chrysler my son would really like to be able to move into the performance or racing division. the kid is hard core. he grew up around blown nitro hemis (see avatar) and all things mopar. he was exposed to the legendary bullet at a very young age.

6. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

7. Motor City

Motor City
    from Michigan

Does he still have his dart. I remember it was in Popular Hotrod, but it was a black & white article, which did not do the paint job justice.

8. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Sorry - No idea.

9. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Some new pictures from Harold Sullivan's site

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Rats! Spent some time with Al (and all of the Missile guys) last weekend at the East Coast Drag Racing Hall of Fame inductions and forgot to ask about that Dart!

My friend Greg Charney (see Detroit Street Racing Story on previous page) had his 2-stroke gas powered blender bouncing off of the rev limiter all weekend and Al joined us for some excellent margaritas.

Al and Mr. Hoover by our Duster in photo below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  11. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Thanks HemiFried! That is something that I didn't have! The picture is now stored
    in my archives.

BTW, Mr. Hoover has invited us to be in the Chrysler display at Woodward in 2015
    with our Hemi Duster. Really looking forward to it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  12. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Great read, just went thru all 5 pages. I spent several years in Toledo running the streets 69-72. Used to hang out at the Hut a lot had a 350 HP 66 nova. I remember several night seeing a black Mopars may have been a Satellite called the skunk run. As I remember it ran well. Ron

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  13. Dr Hemi....I will come to Woodward just to see the Duster. It looks great!

14. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

That would be awesome. I will look forward to it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  15. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Then I'll bet you used to go to Lou's Speed Shop around the corner and Seaport Automotive a few blocks away.

16. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

That's really great about your son. What a job to have with his upbringing, interests and capabilities.
    Did he get his Bee to Michigan yet? Tell him to look for us at Woodward.....maybe he'll be right there!

17. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Wow! what a great thread! My friend had a 29 Ford roadster with a SOHC Ford back then and raced Jimmy on Woodward. Can't recall who won, but I don't think it was the Ford. Here's a pic of my wife and I in my old roadster with Jimmy's slicks: (It rained the next day (Sarnia Ontario Car Show) and I traded the slicks for a set of street tires quickly![​IMG]

18. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

NICE!

[​IMG]

19. I SEEN JIMMY 1969 I LOVED THE SILVER BULLET TIM WARDEN

20. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

I remember buying a glass nose for my 55 from Lou's. It was hell getting it home in my dads El Camino. I spent more time at Doug's speed shop I new Doug fairly well.
    Back then White Chevrolet got a lot of my hard earned money it was amazing what you could buy over the parts counter. Ron

HemiFried likes this.
  21. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

I forgot about Doug's......I had heard about it but had never went there.

HemiFried likes this.
  22. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Pictures make things interesting so here are a few recent ones......(wish I had some more of the Bullet!)

Don Carlton Jr. in the Duster
    [​IMG]

Mr. Hoover in the driver's seat.
    [​IMG]

Builder brother Denny with Mr. Hoover
    [​IMG]

HemiFried likes this.
  23. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

I talked to Ted Spehar a couple of weeks ago and asked him if he had any pictures of the station
    and he said he did not and that the only pic he was aware of that exisited was the one I had
    previously posted here (in original form and a cropped close-up version) which was from
    an old maagazine article.

Maybe someone else has others. I remember seeing one once that showed the Bullet out front
    of the station with Fenton or Anson slot mags on it but I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    HemiFried likes this.
  24. the car did make it to detroit safely. he is now taking off the indy six pack and putting on a efi unit. it should really fly.

25. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Now that's awesome!

Mr. Hoover invited us to bring our Hemi Duster to the Chrysler display at Woodward
    this year (2015) and of course we will be there. Make sure your son stops to see us!

On the flip side, the tent we host for our friends at the Mopar Nationals in Columbus
    will grow to 40' x 120' this year and in addition to the many Hemi and 500+hp A-motored
    A-bodies we will have the Silver Bullet and Mr. Hoover's "Terror of I-696" Hemi Coronet.
    We also have all but confirmed the appearance of four famous racecars who's names end
    in "Missile" but I'm waiting for the final rubber stamp to announce those.

26. i haven't been to the nats in a few years. i think I'm going this year just to see those famous cars. thanks for the heads up.

27. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Well, if you were standing in the staging lanes so that the starting line was on your left, our tent would be
    immediately to your right and at 120' long you won't miss it.

Ordered new Halibrand replica wheels for the Duster today with the rears being 2" wider. They're really the
    same color but the lighting in the pictures is bad.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  28. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Found a few pics of the Steve Lisk Dodge Challenger which reportedly was capable
    of 9.60's - 9.80's when in full Mike Fon's Pro-Stock guise. One shows the "before-
    modified" version and the last ones were after the scooped hood was ruined in a
    garage theft by the thieves dragging heavy toolboxes across it to get them out of a
    window.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  29. richie rebel

richie rebel

very good read,thanks for sharing