Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox w/sbc motor mount question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodknocker, Jun 27, 2008.

1. rodknocker

rodknocker

I was just out in the garage trying to mount my 350/350 into my 50 shoebox with this style motor mount from speedway http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/672...ont-Motor-Mount.html?itemNo=motor%20mount and am having trouble with the steering linkage between the flexplate and the oil pan.Is there anyone who makes a dropped link,should I make one, or do I have something way off? I have the adapters that bolt to the front cross member,and the bushing kit too.So I thought it should work,but I'm finding otherwise.

2. hey... i had the same problem... luckily a guy down the road here had a stocker 50 ford that used to have a sbc in it a time back... it still had the "Hurst" drag link in it which was stepped for the pan and such... dunno if they still make them, but i traded my stocker for that one... dont think it would be hard to make one though

i also used that mount you listed... but you have to run an electric pump which i didnt like so much.. so i switched to side mounts... look like this.. same positioning and all too...

3. here is the mount you described

[​IMG]

and here is the side mount setup... both will work

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Joe Ruppel likes this.
  4. rodknocker

rodknocker

Thanks oddball, what did you do for the trans mount?

5. i slotted the holes on the original crossmember about 1/2 an inch... sat right in there! almost like it was meant to be... i have a 4 speed in mine though... dunno if they are the same lenght or not

6. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rod

A friend of mine is working on a 49 Ford Coupe. He and a couple of friends have come across this problem and decided to install sbf engines instead.

While at the Roundup this year, we came across a fella with an awsome black sedan. He hung the steering under the oil pan of the 350 sbc. He left a generous amount of material on the steering ends to add a triangulated gusset to each end for additional strength. He also left enough space between the bottom of the oil pan and the steering rod connection for travel while turning.

When I saw it, I was amazed at the simplicity. There was a time that it seemed like rocket science.

Keep us posted on your rod's progress.

Hope this helps.

RGV

7. i will tell you about something else that will cause havoc... the exhaust... i dont know what you plan on running... but its a very tight fit, i have ported heads and such so putting stock manifolds on are not going to let it run the way its supposed to.. you can see i have tight fit headers.. even then you have to put a ding on the drivers side to get around the steering box... then its tight to go around the steering and passed the oil filter... it can be done.. but its tight! the passenger side just needs to get past the steering though, not so bad ;) just a fyi.... manifolds will work easier it looks like, i put a set on from a newer elcamino or camaro... they would dump near the rear, but they were to constricted for my application...

8. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Can somebody in this thread tell me where I can purchase the SIDE MOUNT (Pic 2) style of motor mounts..... I think that Butch's Rod Shop use to sell this set up but as we all know Butch's is out of business... Did anybody else pick up his product line and now making the engine change over products....

Thanks
    Rich

9. THE-HOT-ROD-KID

THE-HOT-ROD-KID

Can you tell me what headers you used ive tried shorty style headers ive came across cant get one to fit right ? Thanks THE-HOT-ROD-KID

10. hbwoody

hbwoody

My memory isn't that good anymore but it seems that I remember you need to use an early Nova oil pan.

11. I am pretty sure they were Speedway tight fit headers.
    I am not running a nova pan, I have actually a dropped drag-link that was made by Hurst for this issue.(old part)

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use a 1966-1967 Nova oil pan and oil pump pickup.
    [​IMG]
    It has a front sump.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER