Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 28 model A Coupe build--first time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reyn, Jan 25, 2015.

1. studebaker46

studebaker46

amazing work, on the motor mounts if you already have them welded solid I think I would just machine a spacer. and I think the rear suspension should be just fine. once again the workmanship is awesome. tom

2. reyn

reyn

Thanks. I was thinking a spacer also. I don't want an electric fan and I cut down the original fan already, otherwise the height isn't a big issue. Don't know how much the fan can be cut down and still have adequate cooling.

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

I am anxious to learn how you resolve this issue as well. The frame "sweep" has cost you quite a bit of radiator capacity as well as surface. An aftermarket water pump/fan riser might be a solution, but your radiator upper tank may then pose a clearance problem. Hmmmm...

4. norms30a

norms30a

Wow, really skilled stuff, good job.

5. OLDTGUY

OLDTGUY

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing.

6. reyn

reyn

yes. I'm torn between getting the drivetrain lower for more foot room in the cab and also to maybe use a hood top if possible and high enough to run a fan. The rad is also a concern. It will be fairly short. With no hood and not having to cool an automatic tranny I'm hoping it will be fine.

7. flthd31

flthd31

Hey, nice frame you got there! Pinched, kicked and boxed all at once.
    Keep up the great work. Enjoying watching someone with such talent and energy pound out something special.

8. reyn

reyn

9. reyn

reyn

Setting it together again. She's a one man operation around here. 50.JPG 51.JPG 52.JPG A friend had a 51 Victoria roof he was tossing. It looks to be a great fit. 53.JPG 54.JPG 55.JPG 56.JPG Probably working on pedals next 57.JPG

10. Extremely nice work! HRP

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looking good.. I identify with the "one man operation" for building a rod...

12. reyn

reyn

I Made clutch and brake pedals. Trying to get a few small jobs done. 59.JPG 58.JPG Smithy mufflers came in so I made some mounting flanges. 60.JPG 61.JPG 62.JPG 63.JPG Tried to reverse and rebuild the steering box, but it had moisture inside so the input shaft should be replaced. I am too cheap to buy one so I will see about finding another box. Running out of small jobs to do. Not sure what to do next.

oliver westlund, Tim and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Wow. really nice work. What can't you do? I had a coupe body like yours and fit the back of a sedan rear window in it. Looked great when it was done.

14. reyn

reyn

Thanks. I have a sedan window I cut out for that purpose. The seams don't match so I was thinking of removing them and welding the whole top solid. Stiffen everything up. The body will be the challenge. The sub frame is rough so I made one out of 1x2. A 28 29 body is so many pieces. I bought some molasses to soak the whole body in pieces. Alignment when putting it together could be a problem and keeping it from rusting. Have to wait for spring to soak the body. Was going to start on mounting the cowl steering, but that has to wait until I find another box.. That is my long winded reason why I don't know what to start next.

oliver westlund likes this.
  15. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Awesome workmanship. Keen to watch this progress.

16. Wow this is a really great build. I know the title of the thread says, "first time" but it sure doesn't look like it.

17. reyn

reyn

Thanks for the nice comments. This is what I have been up to this last month. Found a 33 dodge last fall and took the gauges 63a.JPG Tried a little photoshopping and ended up with something I like. Not sure about colors yet 64.JPG 65.JPG Then I cut down and shortened the rear frame. 66.JPG 67.JPG 68.JPG 69.JPG Added some shock mounts. 70.JPG Checking rear suspension clearance, I think it will be OK 71.JPG 72.JPG 73.JPG 74.JPG I have never worked on an "A" body before and for me this is the most intimidating. These bodies have so many pieces and since I am planning on making a new subframe, it is going to be a challenge to align all these pieces again. Thought now is the time to strip it. 75.JPG 76.JPG 77.JPG Cut up the gas tank and fit the gauges 78.JPG 79.JPG 80.JPG 81.JPG 82.JPG 83.JPG Would like to incorporate a tach in there yet. I was thinking to the left, in front of the driver and photoshop a matching background.

18. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! how did i miss this post???

Home made wheel adapters! (From home poured slugs of aluminum!!)
    Custom Made Wire wheels....!...dang!
    Oh yeah...Home made 32 frame! (like the kicks!)
    Home made 1/4 elliptical rear suspension!
    Home made weld on bone adapters!
    Motor Mounts!
    Roof Filler, Break / Clutch pedals, Exhaust flanges, Dash / Gauge Faces....

Not Bad for a FIRST TIMER! (Hey....That's what the title says...)
    Keep up the AWESOME work!
    Subscribed!

Aloha Tommy

brad2v likes this.
  19. reyn

reyn

Well thanks 340. I've done a lot of other projects ,but nothing to this extent. Quite a challenge.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      182.6 KB
      Views:
  20. reyn

reyn

Here is an update
    Tried some firewall work 85.JPG 86.JPG 84.JPG The rad support rod holes were all cracked out so I replaced that too. 87.JPG 88.JPG Change of pace. I am doing a lot of juggling with the front end. A lot of things to consider with the bleed sweep and all. The rad has to be cut down 4" as far as I can figure. The 3/4" motor mount spacers I took out again in case I want to try and fit a hood. I cut down the fan to 15" from 17" and don't want it any smaller and I don't want an electric fan. Decided to raise the water pump. Thought 3" was the minimum I could do, but with 1" spacers on the block I got it down to 2".

A plasma would be nice. This will do, my workhorse I built about 20 years ago for 80 dollars. Have cut miles of metal and it keeps performing. 90.JPG 91.JPG 92.JPG 93.JPG 94.JPG 95.JPG 96.JPG 97.JPG 98.JPG The riser has to be welded and cleaned up yet, but couldn't resist bolting it on. It fits nice and the blade is just above the bottom rad tank and if the rad is cut down 4" the top of the blade will just be below the top tank. 99.JPG 100.JPG 101.JPG 102.JPG It seems the pulleys are going to line up also.
    Guess that's it for now.

21. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

like the riser, very neat.

22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

im subscribed great build yeah ,model A next

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  23. JimBeam

JimBeam

Any updates on this one?

24. reyn

reyn

Well Hello JimBeam. Guess it has been a while. Life gets in the way sometimes. Right now the body is in pieces sitting in a vat of molassas. Going to epoxy it after it is removed and start from there. Just started getting back into it. Working on the exhaust now. I'll post something soon.

25. JimBeam

JimBeam

Right on, glad to hear it's back in progress. Looking forward to see how you tackle the rear window area when you get to it. I'm putting together a 28 special coupe and am right in the midst of doing same thing, sedan panel and all. Anyways I'll be watching yours go together as it happens, keep up the great work!

26. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Just looked at this thread again. Great work. I see this is a Special Coupe, Are you planning on putting it back together with all the wood or are you going to build it like a standard? I just finished putting all the wood back into my '29. I bought a kit from Bert's and it went in with no issues. Let me know if you would like some pictures of mine going back together.

27. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Wow! That bandsaw is pretty slick! You should post a couple pics of it on the homemade tools thread.

1946caddy and brad2v like this.
  28. brad2v

brad2v

Very impressive build. You had me with wheel adapters machined from slugs you poured yourself! As an aside, pretty sure I remember seeing your Impala cruising around at Manitou lake a couple years ago. Love this build, keep up the good work..

29. reyn

reyn

JimBeam

That rear window could be a ccallenge. The beads beside the window don't match from coupe to sedan. not sure if I'll eliminate them or not.

Binger

So far the plan is to replace all the wood with metal. Try and stiffen it up.

bengeltiger

That old bandsaw I built about 20 or more years ago from an old set of plans I came across. It is pretty much all made of wood, but I am sure impressed with it. When I built the 32 frame it cut over 200 feet of 1/8" plate no problem. I'll see if I can find the plans.

brad2v

Manitou beach is fairly close. We cruise there a few times every summer. 35000 miles on the old Impala. She is working great.

Thank you all for the encouragement. What a great hobby.

30. The "Thread Bump Gods" are smiling today ! Thankful to find this build. Sunday fun day indeed. Excellent work, and excellent plan !