Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willys 1938 Sedan project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MiSo, Jan 12, 2013.

1. MiSo,
    37-38 lenses and headlight setups are not very good light (with six volt), but unlike the other Willys models, the 37-38 allows you to use round headlights, and there are a number to choose from. If you want to stick with mostly Willys stuff, you could substitute a Bob Drake reflector kit (37-39 Ford is 7" dia., and that's as close to the 6-3/8 Willys reflector that I have found). You would have to make it fit the Willys bucket (not easy), and then could use original lenses for your application, if you have the retainer ring that holds the glass in. Best bet would be to modify the inside of the fenders to accept a 5-1/2 seal beam, or a 7"seal beam and the apparatus that holds them in, then you have lots of options using modern bulbs or seal beams. Look for some 37-38 sedans and see what headlights they used, and if you see something you like, go with it.
    g-willys

2. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Thanks a lot 39Willz and g-willys for the information.

I don't have the original headlight/lenses so the easiest way is to find a modern 5-1/2 seal beam, or a 7"seal beam and build the apparatus which hold them in position. I shall also convert the 6V system to 12V.

/Mike

3. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

It has gone som time since I updated the thread. The main problem is that my ordinary job taking my garage time:(

I have did some work of the parking brake handle. I took the original handle and did some rework so it gonna fit the wire from the Ford F1 pickup.
    I also have installed a plate, closed the opening to the engine and done a footrest with headlight switch (full/half light).

The next thing I should do is to strengthen the spring force of front suspension. I will put an extra leaf to each spring in the front. The leafs come from a Volvo Duett of the rear end. They had the same width but I had to rework the length of them so that they fit. I think it's going to work...

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Hi!
    The summer has ended in Sweden and its time to spend some time in the garage.

Since the last update I have installed the the front springs and to get the right stiffness in the front I took two extra leafs to the springs.

I also have mounted some interior parts together to see how the end result looks like.

Some work on the body was done in the summer as sandblasting and paint job (epoxy primer). Currently I mount brake lines and are finished with the front brakes.

/Mike

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Here are som pictures of the results from the sandblasting and paint job.
    Before and after......

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Hi, some progress this weekend:rolleyes:

I finished the work with the brake lines with reservation that some works of the rear remains.

I have built exhaust system on the driver side and I think it's gonna work fine.

I got a new steering wheel in green flake which is the right stuff in a gasser influenced Willys.

Attached Files:

7. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Have done some on the rear end. Paint, new brake lines and new brakes.
    Newly made brass bushings that I have pressed into the leaf springs and then assembled the leaf springs with new screws.

Does anybody know where I can find a new original Willys fuel level armature unit for the gasoline tank or a similar one?

/Mike

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Your Willys is looking good!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Thanks 37willysgasser!

/Mike

10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your doing a great job. So worth it when it's done.

11. That is a cool '38 Willy sedan your building! Must be SUPER RARE in Sweden? Subscribed!
    Here is a short video of a '39 Willy sedan that i once owned.
    http://youtu.be/hZ4mF02SVuU

12. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Thanks ME.GASSER! You are so right. All hours in the garage is both worth and fun.

/Mike

13. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Thanks! Yes, in Sweden Willys are kind a rare car. They are easily counted.
    Your ´39 Willys was very cool. I like the ´39 characteristic hood and headlights.

/Mike

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Today I have assembled the driveshaft. It's shortened and it was used on my Charger before (I have a stronger now in the Charger). Of course I shall paint it later.

/Mike

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Hi! I've been a bit lazy lately with uploading pictures on the project, but here is some pictures of the progress.

I have repainted the engine, build new attachments for the alternator and radiator. I also have welded and repaired the plates that hold the fenders in place. So far the brakes have struggled a bit (air in the system, brake fluid leakage), but I will replace one caliper, build new brake lines and replace some screw-nuts/screws and see if that solves the problem. Then I will do a test setup with the body, fenders, doors and hood in place.

/Mike

20141129_152700.jpg 20140815_195133.jpg 20140921_120625.jpg 20141004_190836.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Its been 10 months ! Good to see you back.:) JW

17. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Yeah, I took a long break from the project. I had some other stuff I was forced to do, but now I'm back.
    Nice to hear from you RPU:). I can see that your Willys i working. Its nice to see these old cars in traffic.
    /Mike

18. I think it still goes, that pic was taken last Feb:rolleyes: Keen to see your car progress. JW:D

19. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

No progress, but I'm learning the hard way. So far I have fixed the leakages, but the brake system does not work as intended. I can not establish a lot of pressure in the system and it feels as I have air in the system. I think the problem is that I have a master cylinder that is undersized for the rear calipers.
    As I have figure out I must use a master cylinder that have a size of 1" of the bore or maybe more?, which can move a bigger volume of brake fluid for the rear drums. I think I must purchase a new master cylinder and brake-booster that is exaclty designed for my Chrysler rear brakes.
    Any further ideas?, thanks.:(

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  20. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Hi! I have purchased a new master cylinder and booster. I realize now that the old is way too small. Yes I know the booster is chromed and is not old style. The store had only chromed booster at the shelf, but it does not matter to me because mostly of the booster is hidden under the floor and is not so visible. I got the same prize as the regular ones which is cheaper than the chromed.:)
    Tomorrow I shall do new brackets to the new booster.
    /Mike
    Master cylinder old.jpg Master cylinder new.jpg

21. Yeah, you want that thing to stop when you stomp the brake pedal. Make sure you keep a couple of residual valves in that system, since the m/c is low. Great build!

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I must of missed the updates on your thread, great to catch up with it again

23. I'm really enjoying watching your build-up of your Willys. I like unusal gasser type cars and I'm glad you seem to be leaving it as a 4 door body, as a lot of guys weld up the back doors. I can't wait to see it finished. My Anglia (Ford 100e) in my profile picture is in a thousand pieces right now......

24. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Thanks for the the tip!
    I also purchased residual valves to the rear and front brakes when I purchased booster and m/c.
    /Mike

25. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

It can be difficult to follow my thread because I'm bit lazy with the updates and sometimes it goes long time between them.
    /Mike

26. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

I'm gonna leave it as a 4 door body and not weld up the back doors. I also have seen that some removes the whole end part of the end body and takes an end part from a cupe and welds it together, but I shall keep the body as a sedan model.
    I think that the sedan model is quite charming as it is.

Nice Anglia! Do you have a thread/pictures?

/Mike

27. farmer12

farmer12

Just read through the whole build and I'm impressed by the work so far and the progress MiSo! Keep up the good work!

28. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Thanks farmer12!
    I have been looking at your thread for a while and you do a fantastic work. It is always interesting to see a custom builder to shape the sheet metal to a perfect and balanced shape.
    /Mike

29. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Today I fixed the bracket to fit the new booster. I mounted the new master cylinder and it does not take a lot of space upwards which is good because it is quite near the body floor .
    /Mike
    Inpassning booster.jpg Booster på plats.jpg Booster+master på plats.jpg

30. No thread on the Anglia yet. I only have a place to store it right now, as I'm working on my 67Camaro. It's closer to being finished :)