Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Still love what you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Jan 31, 2015.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Trying to finish the oak flooring in the "office" today. It is car related, had to move everything that will get listed for sale to fund the car projects. Found some long lost stuff, swinging a hammer sure is better suited for me than trying to wire stuff, hitting things and making things better is a good thing. Bob

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  2. Here's a few from my collection.
    image.jpg
    A nice hammer for fab work. I like it cause its old. It will need a new plug soon
    image.jpg
    Great all around cross peen, my go too hammer.

image.jpg
    Cordless for field jobs, I'd be telling stories if i told you this never went to the junk yard.
    image.jpg
    This one is such a nice balanced hammer, its a 220 unit

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Wiring is extremely easy and very rewarding when you wire a car from scratch. Connect one wire at a time and test it as you go.Its very rewarding to see each wire function and encourages you to connect another

4. Wiring is kinda like sex.
    At first you might be nervous about loosing your virginity so maybe you avoid it.

But once you do it, it's hard to stop.

5. I'm building my dream 34 and each and every time that a task is finished I'm more amazed than happy that I can still proceed at 63. I may have to do it again until I'm 100% happy, but I still get a kick in the ass that it was me that did it. Yes, I'm no body/ paint guy and have to rely on others talents, but everything else on the car is going to be done by me....electrical is something that I enjoy with great joy since the U.S. Navy gave me a great education.....yea, I love this hobby.....there's nothing in the world better than a hot shower after a full day in the garage doing metal work, welding, grinding.....blowing all the crap out of your nose and getting the hands clean.....

6. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

And I thought all you did was weld:)We are closer than we thought :) Jim F

7. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

My deal is constantly changing as far as the side stuff.My real job is part Iam sick of plant closings and finally getting that good pay,cant get laid off from thing,which is good for the family. All this car stuff is always a rush cause its what you make of it and really its up to you what you do with it.Mine at this time is loving the art work end of things and FINALLY getting my 47 Olds going again.That feeling is a real exciting thing and helps keep things in check.My Pastor said Dont focus on the dot in the middle of the page,look at the big picture.The dot will drive you nuts!!. Dr Phil (jim)

8. mickeyc

mickeyc

I enjoy the shop time more now that I am older. I have more patience . My skills are
    somewhat suspect compared to the fine craftsmen displayed here on the hamb.
    However my problem solving skills are better than when I was younger. I tend to be
    bit heavy handed when it comes to fabricating items such as bracing, brackets and other
    things of this nature. I think this is due to 40 years of working around seriously heavy and robust
    structures as an iron worker. Things like bridges high rise steel structures and chemical plant
    support steel. Railroad engine wreck repairs and also Nuclear power plants.
    Learning to be effective and not bash 22 or 18 gauge metals into submission or melting it into
    lava is a work in progress for me! Also I have better tools now and helpful advice
    from my fellow hamb members. Thanks guys!

hipster likes this.
  9. power58

power58

10. power58

power58

11. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

I'm still as crazy about cars as I was at 16 years old, and driving and working on them for the first time. And now that my kids are grown, I've accumulated a good selection of tools, and more importantly some knowledge and experience, I'm really enthused to finally be able to focus on building a hot rod from the ground up. The money is the biggest obstacle for me. But I've slowly been gathering parts and pieces for the last few years, and am now very close to beginning fabricating and building.

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I still enjoy getting a lead on some junk or winnowing a tip during a conversation not even auto related.
    Tell me about a possible old car or parts and even if it's 100 miles away I am off like a bottle rocket.
    I like parts.Have sold my "dream car" a dozen times('39 Studebaker Coupe Express,Model A roadster,a couple '55 Chevy 2 door sedans,to name a few) as I don't almost never finish any project cars. Don't go to car shows unless there is a swapmeet. I get more enjoyment in the old car hobby finding stuff other people need than building. A recent back injury has really curtailed my parts removing so it's more looking than wrenching but it's still fun.

13. Boatmark

Boatmark

Yeah, I still enjoy the shop time. My day job has been in the boating biz forever - but the farther I go the more time I spend behind a desk, and the more infrequent my time out on the floor. So its satisfying to come home and spend some time in the shop reminding myself I still can, and it's still fun.

I spent some time this morning replacing some parts in instrument cluster of my OT driver. That most people thought I was crazy, and should write the $200 check for an "expert", made it all the more satisfying to turn the key and have it all come alive. Total cost, $28 in parts.

But man, I need to make something to hold the magnifying glass. When did I become too old to see things? Suddenly I seem to not have enough hands.

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'm 61 and I still enjoy finishing a project but I put off doing them longer and longer. In my 20s and 30s, we would work on race cars until 2 or 3 am then go to work at 7am. I used to work the 9 hour day job and go home at night and often work in my garage until midnight or later.That all stopped about 10 years ago. I stayed with my dad so he could stay in his home as he had Alzheimers. After he died I had both knees replaced and got lazy.

I hope I'll have more ambition when I retire in a few years. The question then will be if I have enough money. Even if I have the money I don't feel as enthusiastic about old cars anymore. We were discussing the Barrett Jackson auction and what cars to buy if we won the lottery. I really couldn't think of an old car I'd buy if I had unlimited funds. I'd probably buy a new car and truck. Maybe when I have more time on my hands I'll feel differently.

15. My day job pays very well and I hustle machine work on the side, so for $$ I'm okay. I am 4 or 5 years away from retiring, at least from the day job.

So the plan is to work on my terms, collect the pensions, social security and work when I want to. Turning wrenches on my own shit will be a priority.

16. I'll never gotten over that miracle and plus the fact that my home built Hotrod is quicker in the quarter than many six figure cars and commands more attention at the local cruises.

I don't care if they call my car a "ratrod" because I know it's got heart and that any dickhead with a job and a check book can buy a new car.

Besides new cars look like traffic but a Hotrod has "Soul"!

17. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Absolutely....
    Only thing is that my Major Accomplishments keep getting less Major...but hey, that is life.. :)

18. I love working on hot rods. Its all I want to do. The only thing that gets in the way is my horrible job, and getting home feeling like I have been beat into the ground.

Saxman likes this.
  19. 55willys

55willys

I still have the passion but there are some aspects of it I hate 1 rust repair 2 cars with no soul like the rusty p.o.s. 79 Camaroo I had to work on this week doing rust repair. I have been doing this most of my life and for my day job for the last 10 years. I put in 10 hour days at work then another couple after work on side jobs. I really like wiring and build the whole system and test it when it is done and ready to start it. I started my own business manufacturing hot rod parts and disc brake kits. Too bad there is only 48 hours in a day as I can't find the time or money to work on my own stuff.
    Jim Ford

20. spanners

spanners

For me the 'passion' is still there but the 'drive' has waned slightly. I've been trying to finish my '39 Chev pick-up since I bought it in 1998. Job changes, no job, law changes and getting into Nostalgia drag racing has taken a toll. I did a small machining job on the '39 the other day and thought to my self, "self, that felt good, I must do more of this."
    It might only be small things , but a bunch of small things add up to big things.
    As for doing the electricals, the last project I completed I would get one circuit working and be pretty chuffed about it and move onto the next one.

21. 1pickup

1pickup

or an empty beer can...

22. That's some funny shit right there !

23. I still like working on cars, but dont have the energy I had when I was young.

24. daddylama

daddylama

still love working on & building cars and motorcycles, though now it is often less about "getting it done" and more about the work itself... the journey, if you will.

I have a different appreciation and vision than I did 20 years ago.

with work, home, family (5 kids... youngest is a newborn, oldest is going to college in the fall), shop time for my own projects is rare. I relish what time I can carve out. further, that time is often WITH at least one of my young kids which makes the journey of that project so much better.

in short, I love it more now than I did decades ago.

25. 40 years of raising babies, oh man !