Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 230 - 250 - 292 Inline Six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by specsintexas, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Does anyone know who makes a traditional 3 carb (three 1 barrels) set up for a 230/250/292 Chevy inline six. I have looked in all the usual places and came up with nothing. Might be they don't make one for this Chevy engine model. Also, any idea's on aluminum valve covers, aluminum lifter covers, aluminum air cleaners, performance cams and split exhaust setups and so on would also be appreciated.

Thanks Specs

2. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

performance engeneering makes lifter gallery covers that were pretty economical, maybe valve covers too. if you get a used intake look for a heated one. don't do what i did and have to mill out a heat box. if you get a older aluminum valve cover look for a baffle in the pcv valve local or be prepared to make one. i am kind of partial to stovebolt engine co and clifford too. good luck.

3. Thanks, good stuff to know and think about.
    Specs

4. panic

panic

There used to be almost 20 manufacturers making this stuff, some is still on eBay especially Offy and Clifford.
    The usual choices are the original Rochester, Carter, Stromberg, Zenith etc. 1 bbl., but use smallest ones you can find (the Rochester B off a 216 or a 194 is a good choice)

5. stan292

stan292

Offy makes (or did make) a triple single-barrel carb intake that fits those motors. I know, 'cause I've got one.

I think the MerCrusier cast aluminum valve covers for those motors (as used in Mercury inboards) are pretty cool if you can locate one. I would expect a used one to be much cheaper than an Offy, etc. A fellow had one on a car at the HAMB drags a couple years back. Said he found a couple of them in a boat dealer's back room for like $30 each.

Don't forget, the 292 side covers are different from the others (6 inches tall, instead of 4 inches). The heads can use all the 250 stuff, but the block is a different animal.

6. Twisted6

Twisted6

The marine covers are getting harder to come by ,But they are still out there. As for cams the are many companys who make them for our L6s.

7. Snarl

Snarl

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. krome

krome

thanks, needed the same info for my 250. Any luck specsintexas?

10. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

What about headers? Any of those still in production? Thanks.

11. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Use 292 truck 3 bolt flange 2 1/2 in outlet. Seek and ye shall find.

12. oilslicktg

oilslicktg

Looked for the old school stuff for my 6 cyl, hard to find. Went with the Stovebolt cast iron headers, offenhauser dual single barrel intake, but I built some mounting plates so I could run two Rochester 2g, 2 barrel carbs in place of the two single barrels. Got the finned valve covers off of ebay thru Summit Racing, their not cheap, add on ebay said fully polished, received them, the divets on both sides of the valve cover were not even sanded smooth, sent a email to summit, bitched about the fully polished as stated in their add, they refunded me $45.00, just polished them myself, speedway motors at one time had the offenhauser 3 single barrel intakes. Good luck in finding parts.

13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

speedway still lists dual and triple intakes, side- and valve covers.

14. XXL__

XXL__

Hopefully the OP found what he was looking for in his 6 year old post.

15. oilslicktg

oilslicktg

[​IMG]
    Old post should never die, as there always another bag of new tricks.

16. Twisted6

Twisted6

Looks Good :)

17. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    oilslicktg likes this.
  18. oilslicktg

oilslicktg