Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Newbie, New Build, trying to make it before Texas Thaw, 1950 Ford F1 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moto Moto, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

Good evening gents. I've been lurking for sometime now. Absolutely admire the work that all of you guys do. Some very fine skills on this site.

I'm new to the forum but not new to hot rodding. I purchased this 1950 Ford F1 from my neighbor about 3 weeks ago. My goal is to build it and get to the Texas Thaw 2015(drags trip is about 3 miles from me). This truck was traded in and resold at the Chevrolet dealership here in Krum, TX in 1953. So it's been local for damn near it's entire life.

My plans are pretty simple:

Flathead/4 - speed combo
    Lower it.
    Clear it.
    Do burn outs
    Drink beer.

Here is where we're at. Enjoy and thank you guys for the your in put.

The day we pushed her to my driveway

[​IMG]

Quick mock up and a little preview

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

So we went to town. Stripping 173 layers of black paint, ordering parts, clear coating to preserve the patina, c-notching and lowering.

The first thing we did was source a motor and trans. Scored this flat tie and 4 speed from a 1948 F5 in Pottsboro for a fair price. I'm going to run the 4 speed mostly because you don't see many.

She'll get cleaned up and a 12 volt system installed.

[​IMG]

3. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

Next up were the moons. I freaking love them but never seen them painted. So they got some antique white and slapped on.

[​IMG]

They look bitching.

[​IMG]

4. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

Next up was clearing everything. Three coats of tractor supply special after a scratch bright scuff. Decent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

So then we mocked it up again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poser shot just cause.

[​IMG]

6. The reason you don't see many or any 4 spds is because 1st gear is geared so low you won't use it; commonly called a "grannie" gear and they are not much fun.Most f-1 trucks either have a 3/91 or 4/11 and top speed is a screaming60-70 mph even bypassing the "grannie". Good luck on your endeavors!

7. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

Now on to lowering the rear. I wanted cheap using some old school techniques. So. Shackle flip, lifted both shackle mounts 1 bolt hole, spring over and c notch. Overkill on c notch in case of bagging it later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

And this is where we are. I'm hustling but not sure I'll make it.

Still lots to do.

[​IMG]

Enjoy

Jeff.

9. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

Understood sir. Since I'm cheap, in a hurry and a cruiser, we're gonna give it hell!

10. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

Evening gents. The rain kept me inside of the garage most of the day. So I managed to get the trim scuffed and put back in place. Cleaned up the old grill. And put the instrument cluster together with some old copper and paint that I had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. I really like these old F-1's they make great drivers. HRP

12. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Wow Man!
    Love your approach, and love the result you're getting!
    What size rear wheels and tyres with those moon discs?

13. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

Those are just some 15's. They came with new tires. Might as well use them. Cheapest way I could think of to make them look cool.

14. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

I've been through various sets of wheels.....I've come to the conclusion that with these old trucks, as long as you lower them plenty, any wheels will look good!

I think you've just proved this again!!

.I just got some fresh Moon Discs that I brought back from Japan in my suitcase......your tyre size looks pretty damn right - what size tyres are they? eg 255/65/15 ??

I'm looking forward to what ideas a mind like yours throws at the inside of the cab!!
    Loving this build!!!!!!!