Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Firewall For A 31 Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Is the shape/arch at the top and sides the same in a 31 and 32?

2. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Is that a ford motor in that truck?

3. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

oh yea..I didnt see those supports to the radiator missing

4. Mo rust

Mo rust

The shape is the same other than the fact that the 32 firewall is taller. The ears are usually ruined on the old feet anyway so I cut the bottoms off at the right height and weld on a flat strip on the bottom. This also supports the front of the cowl.

This topic is proof of my saying that you can't wait until you need parts to collect them. If you wait to look for parts until you need them, you'll never find them or they are overpriced.

5. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

ok...I'll get to searching for a 32..but if I cant find one,they make after market ones...they are more expensive than a 30/31, but I think the modifying is less which saves labor

6. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

so if I dont need the feet on a 32 firewall will this work?...then I just fabricate some feet/mounts 32 firewall.JPG

7. nickk

nickk

yes the top is soooo close, and that is a ford motor in the truck and yeah that firewall would be a good way to go if you plan on cutting on it

8. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Am I wrong, or does that motor in the truck have a rear distributor?

9. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I think the firewall in MO Rust roadster looks more like this one? $_57.JPG

10. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

its not flat, but has a break in it

11. Speed~On

Speed~On

The distributor on that mint green truck is in the rear of the engine. It's kinda hiding under the air cleaner against the firewall.

12. nickk

nickk

ford y blocks had the dizzy in the back, that's how ford did on their first ohv engine

13. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

did Ford make a motor with a rear distributor?

14. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

ok..theres the answer..thanks...I didnt know that...of course theres a ton I dont know about this stuff:rolleyes:

15. Mo rust

Mo rust

My roadster and my sedan have both been modified the same by shortening the feet and placing a flat panel on the lower center with the edges bent out. Here's a better look at the one in my 30/31 sedan.

Attached Files:

16. Mo rust

Mo rust

One of these 32 style flat firewalls would probably work pretty well as long as you support the front cowl corners inside it.

17. nickk

nickk

Mo rust! you wouldn't happen to have the rest or any pieces of the bottom of that firewall laying around would you? I know your roadster has been done a long time ago but I'm trying to fix my firewall back.

18. skreemin

skreemin
    from Salem Or

I flipped my stock firewall around cut the indentation out and welded it back in facing in stock direction so the distributor would fit. Welded it from the inside so it's hard to see how its attached.

19. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I've heard this is "old school" method, and works very well.....do u happen to have a pic or two of that?

20. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Thanks for the link..I'll use it...yes I agree the 32 does thin down the cowl, and I like the bulb-es shape of the 31, but it my fit my situation better to go flatter...I dunno yet..sooo many decisions:eek:

21. skreemin

skreemin
    from Salem Or

I will say measure, slow down, think and plan before you mark and cut! I took the firewall out, cut the distributor "pocket" out flipped the firewall, lined all the edges up then started tacking the firewall back in. No problem! Then I stepped back and realized the distributor pocket isn't centered or symmetrical! Not a big deal just extra work to make it right.

Attached Files:

22. skreemin

skreemin
    from Salem Or

Do not use a wheel barrow! Id heard of this trick. Thought id try it. It looks like what it is...a wheel barrow shoved in to a firewall!

Attached Files:

23. When I get around to my coupe I will either flip it or do like Mo Rust did here.

24. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

flipping makes sense if you have a firewall already useable in the car..but I dont..so the 32 seems like an easier route...they both lose the bulbis look of the 31, so the path of least resistance makes sense

25. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

BTW Skreemin...you coupe looks bitchen!!:)

26. Elpolacka here on the HAMB makes a stamped firewall panel that may be a good start to what you want to accomplish as an alternative to buying and modifying a repop '32 firewall.

27. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

THANKS..I'll check that out

28. skreemin

skreemin
    from Salem Or

Thank you! Those pics are a couple years old. It's currently torn down so i can paint it...2 summers ago! Haha!

29. U-235

U-235

31 Model A channeled 4-1/2" with early Olds and T-85 w/od and stock wheel base. I knew I would have to cut the firewall or install a recessed flat firewall. I was talking to my co-worker of my dilemma, when he volunteered "I'll give you a flat firewall". I went over to his place around 7:30 and had it installed in my Model A by 10:30. He was building an early hybred. He had a 36 Mercedes phaeton powered by a 300 cu in Ford 6 with 3 Webers that he built. Evidently the body was junk (I never saw it) and he replaced it with a 34 Ford body for the winter months and a 34 Ford Phaeton body for the summer. He kept the fenders and grille, but made his own hood. This guy was weird to say the least, but a good craftsman.....he even had a torque arm attached to the frame to read out on the dash. The car turned out really nice, but now he is putting in a straight 8 Buick w/supercharger........Anyway, I took his firewall home and just trimmed the edges 1-1/2 inches and made brackets to attach it and put it in.
    The top curve fits the inside of the Model A like it was made for it, and it even has radiator support rod bosses. The bottom was trimmed to fit the contour of the olds bellhousing. Sooo...keep your eye open at you Pull-A-Part.