Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '55 gasser build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by johnk320, May 27, 2013.

1. 55Belairman

55Belairman

I like it, great job.

2. ryan gladue

ryan gladue

i've done lots of research while getting parts and ideas on building my 55 gasser. the whole model a traverse spring idea is not a good idea i've heard ,as these larger cars have alot more weight up high and will give you crazy body roll in corners with a model a setup. i heard one guy had to add coil over shocks just to make it halfway decent. so in saying that. i know it looks way cool. but i'm goin with parallel leafs. just my 2 cents....

3. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Hi, Ryan!

Thanks for your thoughts. I've had a buddy trying to talk me out of this idea for years as well. Believe it or not, I have put a lot of thought and talked to lots of people about that same concerns as you're expressing.

There was a guy back in the mid-60s who did this conversion to save 200 - 300 lbs in front end weight. At the time, it was such an outrageous swap (a Model A axle on a '55 Chevy) that Hot Rod did an article on how the swap was done. I drove to Buffalo and talked to the guy who owned the car and he said that if the swap is done correctly it won't break. As a matter of fact, he said he pulled the front wheels enough to have complete faith in it. I'm net even sure I'll drag race it. I know I'll make some passes but probably not all-out race it. More of a street gasser.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Stay tuned for further build updates.

4. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

I think its cool! Who cares if its not gasserized.....okay I do! But I still like it. Not every tri 5 needs a straight axle....okay yes they do! LOL! Keep up the great work I think its a nice change having the ass end up.

5. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Donnie,

LOL! I agree on ALL your points! Funny thing is, when I got it back from the body shop and put the wheels and tires on and saw it with the nose down attitude, I looked at the project from a different point of view! This gasser project has been a dream (and in the planning) for years! I have the mfi, mag, front axle, etc. but now I'm thinking 3X2 on the 327 and leave the rake! I'm so confused!

Stay tuned.....

6. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Well its a nice change John. Were either lowering the whole car or jacking up the front end. HRD

7. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Thanks, Donnie!

8. How did I miss this thread for so long?~!
    Nice! Love the paint job?

9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

very nice build so far. beauty body and paintwork. i like that hood scoop, did you make it? nice to see a 50s build here for a change. i have 3 rochester 2gs on my 327- it can be a bit finicky but goes like hell when you put your foot down! good luck and build it the way YOU want it.

10. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Chevy57dude.... Well, I don't know but welcome aboard! I'm hoping there should be a "!" instead of a "?" after the paint comment! LOL! The paint is kind of a tribute to the first car I remember my parents having. I thought the wheel/tire combo went perfectly with the paint scheme.

11. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Wheeldog57..... Thanks for your comments! The hood scoop is a Pontiac Super Duty scoop. This was a very popular addition back in the day. The car from Buffalo that inspired this project had one and I thought it REALLY looked good! Glad I did it!

12. glrbird

glrbird

enloe likes this.
  13. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

LOL! Oh, gee, thanks! Both are beauties! I especially like the Filthy Five. The flamed one is nice, too!