Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 62 T-Bird brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jan 27, 2015.

1. What's the piece with the bleeder valve on top, and can it cause the brake pedal to not return periodically? Can I eliminate it? All new brakes, spring kits, and the pads on the backing plates that contact the shoes are all polished and greased with anti seize. So this thread's only about the part in question. THX

DSC08400.JPG

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. Groucho
    I don't know what it is but I'll bet it is to eliminate air in the system. Brake peddle not returning on a standard drum brake system could be caused by broken springs or rusty brakes that are dragging on the backing plate.

3. All new brakes, spring kits, and the pads on the backing plates that contact the shoes are all polished and greased with anti seize

4. Back off on your picture - I'd like to see what that thing is between the junction block and the master cylinder outlet. I've never seen something like that before on a '61-'63 T-bird. I suspect it was added to assist in purging air from the system as previously noted. You may also be dealing with a power brake booster that needs rebuilding. Search Vintage Thunderbird Club International's Forums at www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net on power brake boosters of this vintage as there has been discussion on topics like this over the past decade-plus.

5. My 62 does'nt have that, don't see it in the shop manual either.

6. WOW! What a real PITA trying to join that forum. By the time my mistakes were fixed they said I passed my allowed 3 tries

7. Good to know! Someone else said it may have been an early attempt by the aftermarket for anti lock brakes. I think I'll get rid of it tomorrow. THX

8. 46stude

46stude

My '62 does not have it either. I agree- probably a good idea to get rid of it.

Groucho likes this.
  9. skipperman

skipperman

Owned MANY Birds in my life ... NEVER SAW that before ...

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Count this as another "never saw that before"

My buddies 62 doesn't have it either

11. Looking closer and seeing faded anodizing, it's clearly not a factory piece. I just removed it DSC08402.JPG

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

weird...

What does the writing stamped into it say?

13. Grocho
    If your system has all new stuff is it possible that the MC is not happy??

14. What about rod adjustment on the brake pedal? Had that happen with my 61. Brakes were fine until about 2 miles and then after braking they would hang up...brake lights stayed on...system would cool down, lights would go off, and I drove it home...adjusted to mc push rod and cured it..all new brake replacement from master out...thought the rod would be fine going stock mc to replacement stick mc

15. It did it with both the old and new M/C. If removing that piece doesn't fix it, it has to be the booster. I removed that piece but got too busy to drive it today.

16. 46stude

46stude

My T Bird's booster was bad when I got the car. Sent it off to Booster Dewey in Portland for a rebuild, and it was good as new.
    boosterdeweyexchange.com

17. JEM

JEM

That device was commonly called a 'Safety Braker' its purpose - if installed in the rear brake line as it typically would be - is to delay application of the rear brakes to make it harder to lock them up (since Bendix self-servoing drums lock up too easy, and most old Detroit iron had too much rear brake bias anyway.)

I'm at a loss to see how it could prevent the pedal from returning, that's more likely a booster issue as others have noted.