Register now to get rid of these ads!

AMBR winner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by therealjakeg, Jan 25, 2015.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

Few have built a complete car. Someone like Moriarty or Plowboy are exceptions. There are certainly some running competition cars that are an exception also. For the majority of us, G.M., Ford, Chrysler, etc built the car.

Special Ed likes this.
  2. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I think I get confused and think the AMBR is spelled wrong. I am looking for AMIR: America's Most Interesting Roadster. I have not seen this car up close. I bet it is beautiful but maybe not so interesting. Does that make it bad? Of course not but this hobby has alot that rewards our passion and fires the imaginations of us regular guys.

But I sound like a hater when I miss the point of the AMBR. I wish I was there to see it in person.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

4. 117harv

117harv

Maybe the 40 Ford cutaway chassis should have won, I think we can all agree that it's perfect.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

In the sense that that some people wanted to do one thing, and some people wanted to another thing, them who stayed true and traditional gave birth to the HAMB, but those who wanted to leave went to do street rods.

And to me that the winner is non-HAMB materiale, and not my thing. But a kit car is close to describe it, except that it got a lot of personal touches.
    And the level of craftsmanship has nothing to do if it's a kit car or not.
    I have a lot of respect for the builder, but I can't feel all hot in all the right places.

The golden rod, is HAMB material, but AMBR is judge by a different standard the we judge by, and that just proofs we are different, and proud of that.

wvenfield likes this.
  6. Boatmark

Boatmark

Damn, I must be doing it wrong. I can do all of those things. even have a degree in design . . . . . And I'm not an expert in anything. But then again, I don't think any of that is a requirement for having an opinion.

slammed likes this.
  7. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I think there are a lot more than two guys on here that actually know how and have built complete cars. HOTRODPRIMER and Krylon32 come to mind. Their opinions, and guys like them, have more credibility than know it all masters of nothing.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. sota

sota

You nail it . You look at their profile and what do you see a stock looking car that is far from even being close to a Hot rod in any since of the word. But yet instead of joining a restorers club they come on a hotrod site and make a just stupid statements!

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's actually a hot rod and custom site.

Special Ed and Gary Reynolds like this.
  10. ..........................That was my point exactly. paul55 had made the statement (that I disagreed with) that this site wouldn't exist if it were not for the NSRA and the street rod movement of the 70s and 80s. His opinion is apparently born of not experiencing the 50s and 60s much less the 30s and 40s (of which I also didn't experience:D). This site reflects a mindset that was around long before the NSRA even existed!

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I think what paul55 meant was the nsra introduced alot people to old cars and from that people started building different styles billet,traditional, ect.,ect. At least thats what I got out of it.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  12. the AMBR is not limited to traditional builds, if you like traditional builds only don't be a judge of the winning car . go start your own "america's most beautiful traditional roadster" show.

Deuce-Deano and Gary Reynolds like this.
  13. .................Perhaps I misunderstood his comments.

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes and no, I agree with both of you, the mind that was around was newer engines, better drivability and go faster. But some of you took a steep back In the 70s and set WTF, OMG and I get off here.
    Because I doubt Ak Miller ever is quoted to have set; that last years engine is better then this years junkyard find. They went in one direction, faster/foreward.
    So the mind set change, and some people went, I want look over state-of-the-art fast.
    I can make good-looking go all the fast I need! So they split ways, and by doing that, they set us free!!
    The AMBR judge by the same standard as back then, only thing that changed is the judges, and the public opinion.

Put the Anderegg roadster, blackie's roadster or the niekamp roadster, and very few non-HAMBers would be impressed. Non like we are, we most respect the work have changed, and we stay the same. Proudly the same!!

Only reason I dident multi quoted him is because, I forgot to push multiqoute in stead of just quote.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

YES, Thank you!

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I never got the rift between traditional guys and the street rod guys. Each has his own vision, and some of the visions cross the lines, tastefully done or not. As long as we're talking American iron and not ricers, I'll listen in. Might not agree with everything said, but who does? The general public doesn't know a traditional hot rod from a high end street rod, but most do know a good looking ride when they see it, and know our cars weren't made in Japan. Just because I respect others visions, doesn't mean I have to copy them.

17. slammed

slammed

Far too many want an 'street rodder' HAMB. That would be a novel idea, starting a web site for those cars/builders. Much like this place was started, it intended for sharing the same passion for a very specific era. Happens again during the 2 million dollar+ car Riddler show as well. Now regardless of whether you own a neater beater or all thee way to "OF THE YEAR award' ride..........shut up and drive it beyond the local city limits.

18. I don't think very many want a "street rod" HAMB.There are plenty of street rod sites we can go to.the HAMB is about pre 65 cars, that's my main interest, why I come here. We get it, we like traditional cars, but don't see why we can't like other types as well.AND I personally don't see the need to be rude and hostile about other styles and the guys that like them.We ARE all connected as car guys after all.Some people just need to lighten up and not take themselves so damn seriously. I come here partly to learn, unlike some HAMB'ers that apparently know everything!

Shamus, jack_pine, Special Ed and 2 others like this.
  19. slammed

slammed

The comments that became hostile are plainly seen the last 2 pages. I see no comments regarding 'all knowing' at all.

20. 5window

5window

Awe, crap. Now we're here. Perhaps you meant OLD American Iron because American Iron today is not Ford,Chevrolet or that Italian company-Chrysler. If you look, more Subarus, Toyotas, Hondas,etc are made here than abroad. Chevys and Fords are made internationally. You can do a search-but here's a start-compiled by Edmunds-and what could be more American than a pick-up truck? Yet of the 8 top selling pickups in the US, traditional US brands come in 2nd,and tied for 5th. The other 5 are "foreign brands. http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automobiles/the-8-most-american-trucks-for-2014.html/?a=viewall

So to skip being political, perhaps we can all just agree that for the time period that we're here for on the HAMB, American iron was king.

21. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looks like Ohio Flames

22. Muttley

Muttley

You don't have to be a chef to know your steak tastes like shoe leather.

23. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Now I understand Ryan's statement.
    Just another 70-80's car. Kit to boot.

slammed likes this.
  25. I like everything about this car, but then I'm not hung up on only one style of build either. To each their own....

i.rant likes this.
  26. Thank you for the kind words and I'm sure Gary appropriates it also but there are far more talented builders than me here on the Hamb.

Hambers build what they like and to even think that the old school style that we all strive for to compete and win in the GNRS is just kidding ourselves.

Lets face it,the car that won did so because the judges deemed it the best,I don't deny that it is a beautiful car and kudos to the owner and builder,,think back when the cars that won looked like circus wagons with all the gold platting and gold leaf from one end to the other.

I previously said this years winner looks like many cars Bobby has built over the years but lets face it the formula works,,it's just not my style. HRP

27. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

We should just thank the builder and owner for winning. This car was worked on by some of the Hambers on this site. Be positive for the owner and not worry about what you like. You guys that think it is just a kit car go ahead and bolt one together and compete next year.

28. Ohhh... the bullshit in some of these threads gets a little tooo deep me thinks.
    Let's all wait for the Riddler show and we can do it all over again.

Meanwhile let's get back to home built hot rods and leave the chainers be.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  29. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'd just be amused watching the owner toss that trophy in the passenger's seat and drive off...

30. [QUOTE="lstwsh, post: 10821804, member: 57519" You guys that think it is just a kit car go ahead and bolt one together and compete next year.[/QUOTE]...........C'mon, doesn't everyone know that a kit car comes in a box and you put it together with a tube of glue!:rolleyes:;)

tb33anda3rd likes this.