Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical oil pump pick up screen height

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55yak, Jan 26, 2015.

1. 55yak

55yak

Does anyone out there have any opinions on how far off the bottom of an oil pan a new oil pump screen should sit on a 58 to 64 Pontiac V-8? I have heard anywhere from 3/8" to 1". I would sure appreciate any opinions as I couldn't find the answer on the internet, just basic installation of pump. Thanks in advance.

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I like 1/4"to 3/8", just keep the oil changed regularly and sludge blockage won't be a problem, and you shouldn't be able to run it out of the oil as long as you don't let it get more than a quart low that way.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. stimpy

stimpy

3/8 is what we run , I only go to 1/2 on the deep pans that hold 8 quarts

4. 55yak

55yak

Thanks Dirty, appreciate the input.

5. 55yak

55yak

Thank you Stimpy, I think I will do the 3/8" like both of you guys suggest.

6. stimpy

stimpy

put the pick up assy in the freezer overnight to shrink it to make it easier to fit up . and once placed have someone tack weld it to the body of the pump .

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

As to welding the pickup to the pump body: I learned a trick from a friend who specializes in hot rod and race car engine builds. And he learned the trick when he sort of apprenticed to Bob Callaham, onetime NHRA record holder.
    Fabricate a strap, 16/18 gauge with a hole for one of the pump cover screws in one end, and shape the strap to lay alongside and against the pickup tube, then weld the strap to the pickup tube while the other end of the strap is held tight by the oil pump cover screw. Much less heat transferred to the pump that way, and less chance of distortion.

270dodge and Dog_Patch like this.
  8. 55yak

55yak

This sounds like a good idea as I was going to tack weld the pick up pipe to the cast body of the pump but was concerned about the check ball spring getting hot and losing tension and I didn't want to remove it because it is a reman pump and their warranty says not to open pump at all or it will void warranty. I don't mind removing a cover screw to secure a strap but how far down the pipe do you weld the strap? Would I still have to remove the check ball and spring, or is heat not an issue? On the other hand, this pipe was so tight into the pump body that I have to question if it could ever come out or even get loose in the first place. I had to pound it in with a hammer using a special tool I borrowed. It was a TIGHT fit, I almost couldn't move it at all to get the final adjustment I needed for the 3/8" off the bottom of pan.

9. I usually set mine 1/4 inch off the bottom of the pan unless there is some other spec that I a given.

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You only need to go down the pickup tube a couple of inches and quickly weld it, preferably with O?A or tig. Not enough heat is gonna get down that pie to hurt the pressure regulator spring or anything else on the pump if you weld it that far out.

11. The pick up arm will kind of Tell you where it wants or should go. A little to high or low and it will sit funny compared to the pan bottom. Usually I use a 5/16" drill bit fastened/stuck on the pick up with some grease on it to physically mark the pan. Once the pan is torqued with a gasket it will end up at 3/8" - pretty much the standard I think.