Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs alternate hubcap for chrome smoothie wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Jan 26, 2015.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have a custom with chrome smoothie wheels on it. It currently has the moon hubcaps.

But it needs something more than the moon caps.

I kind of like the Shannon style, or the bullet style.

would anybody know of anything else that would look cool on an early 60's custom? I will need a source of these cool caps as well.

or maybe you can suggest a modification or addition to the moon cap?

thank you!

Bob

2. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

You didn't mention what the body style is but if it's a "boxy" car how about chrome lug nuts, push through center cap and some vintage tri-bar knock offs. Sourcing the knock offs would take some legwork but would be worth it to have something period correct and different.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

4. Some factory ''poverty'' caps look really good on a chrome wheel. Seems there was a guy on here who had a set of '59 Chevy dog dish caps on an El from that era with that treatment.

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

X2....on a side note does anyone market 4 lug spiders?

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The Smoothies I have will not accept regular caps of any kind. The '59 Chevy probably had chrome reverse wheels and not smoothies.

7. belair

belair

Maybe a small flipper, like a single bar on the moon?

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Spiders are on the short list. But the Shannon caps seem to work better in my mind

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

11. I understand about wanting a change of pace now and then but your Merc is a killer @##$%^ car and just looks perfect like it is!!!!

12. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

How about making the baby moon body color

13. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Maybe do the spiders and fog in some Maroon paint in the center behind the Spider cap. Nice ride.

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thanks for the compliments

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

[​IMG]

this one could use something a bit more flashy as well

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Would stock 49 - 53 Chevy passenger small caps work? Or perhaps 57 Chevy pickup caps? The type that when used on original wheels, used the clips?

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Only if the Merc has a Chevy engine.

21. atomickustom

atomickustom

Those are "smoothie" wheels. Probably no oem hubcaps will work - the hubcaps fit totally different, registering IN the wheel rather than around a lip.
    I think both cars look fine as is. You can add a spinner to the hubcap but in my opinion they just look tacked on. Either enjoy them for what they are or put full wheel covers on them. Fiestas would suit both of those cars I think.

22. A Boner

A Boner

Bob, why don't you chuck the baby moons in a lathe, and drill a small hole in the center to bolt on some modest size chrome bullets?

bobwop likes this.
  23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

[​IMG]
    these are supposed to be for smoothie wheels. What I call a Shannon cap, or bullet cap

24. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Either one. As already mentioned, (by Atomickustom), caps on smoothie wheels fit IN the wheel center, rather than around a lip. 1949 - 1953 Chevy passenger car and 1957 - 1959 Chevy pickup caps also fit in the wheel. However, they use clips that are rivited to the stock wheels, (to retain the caps), rather than the bumps that are used in the smoothie wheels.

I do not know if the stock caps will directly fit smoothie wheels, without modifying the caps. It would probably depend on the diameter and design of the inside retaining ring of the stock cap. I've considered doing this with the smoothies that are on my 55 Cameo. However, I haven't tried it, yet.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I was online and found these caps. Supposedly, they are designed to fit on smoothie wheels. I will research this and let you know.

26. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I like that look a lot Bob.. :)

27. Spyders would be the bomb on that one. They also make a moon that we used to call a pan cake, it would fit the same but with almost no crown.

My go to option was always no caps and chrome acorn nuts. If I was feeling froggy I would paint the center body color. I mad an amazing discovery once (drug induced) if you rough the chrome up so that it will stick candy paint over chrome looks really cool.

28. lake_harley

lake_harley

I've been searching through old threads about hubcaps for smoothie wheels. The wheels I currently have on my A measure about 7 5/8" where the nubs are in the recessed center of the wheel, but when I've found hubcaps for smoothie wheels they usually are listed at 7 1/2". Just a difference in the way it's measured, I suppose.

Anyway....everywhere I've looked it seems the only "small" hubcap that is available for the smoothie wheels is a baby moon. To each their own but I don't like baby moons. If the wheels weren't dual bolt pattern I'd go with chrome acorn nuts and possibly trim rings and call it a day, but the extra 5 holes just ruin the look.

Someone on another thread posted some "fake" lug nuts to go in the extra holes but the 10 bolt look just doesn't look right to me either. The suggestion was also thrown out to use the small metal snap in hole plugs and I might buy 5 just to see what they'd do to the look. I'd rather not buy a different set of wheels, although if there are no other hubcap options or other ideas on how to hide the extra holes and the coining around them I may have to bite the bullet and buy other wheels. If I do, I might look into something like a Torque-Thrust 5-spoke. I never thought hubcaps would be such a problem on the smoothies or I would have bought OEM type steel wheels the first time. Live-And-Learn.

Lynn

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020