Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Guys with bags...FB or FBSS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timdhawk, Jan 26, 2015.

1. timdhawk

timdhawk

What is the general thought on whether to run a FB or FBSS setup? Any pros and cons from one to the other? I'm trying to get a plan in place for me 49 Merc. Thanx..

2. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

four wheel independent controls ride better

3. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Always use fbss if you can if not when you go into a turn the air from the bag on the outside corner will compress and push into the side with the weight off thus making it roll or tilt much easier if you can picture what I'm talking about. You can still wire it for front / back but having 8 valves instead of 4 is a much much better idea. That being said thousands of people have done it with 4 valves and haven't experienced a problem. Also I prefer the block type valves because some of them will not let you air out the car if there is not pressure in the tank so if you blow a line or fitting on the tank side and don't know it can save your ass from being stuck.

cavistyle likes this.
  4. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

They only bags in a traditional custom ,is bags with grocery :p

Moriarity, Arabie777 and timdhawk like this.

5. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Have FB never had the air move from one side to the other

6. i just re-wired a set up for a guy who had his set up F/B but also had independent control for the fronts. 6 valves total, two tanks, two compressors. i prefer the 8 valve arrangement, but he's happy with it.

7. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

i like the simple FB set up. If you want to run FB only, install check valves so the air does not transfer during turns. On my old chevy, if i hit a turn too hard she would dip pretty bad.

8. ridenlow559

ridenlow559

6 valve set up. 4 in front, 2 for the back. And I prefer mounting the valve as close to the bag as possible.

9. Jason455

Jason455

How could the air release (to lower the car)if there a check valve? I thought of FB when i did my 40. I ended up going with 8 valves

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have installed airbags in well over 200 cars and light truck, at this point.

In the early days, before knew better, I did valves for just the front and back.

I had numerous complaints about uncontrolled body roll. It did not take me long to figure out why.

Almost every customer who had a simple FB system came back, and left again, with a FBSS system, most at no extra labor charge by me.

Now I know better. It was a costly lesson.

And no, a check valve is not the solution.

Run 8 valves, at 3/8".

11. ray

ray
    from colorado

personally, i like the 6 valve setup, 4f, 2r. i also believe ANY air setup regardless of number of valves, benefits greatly from proper sway bars, both front and rear. i have big (1 1/4 and 1") bars on my truck with 6 valves and it corners like the proverbial slot-car. i can lift the entire rear with a jack under one side of the axle.