Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A helping hand on SBC wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model B 32, Jan 26, 2015.

1. model B 32

model B 32

Good day all,
    The B 32 project is still going strong and residing happy in the garage; the engine turned over and not that bad. Just one little problem : I couldn’t stop it; I think there’s still something wrong with the wiring, so a little help is requested.
    Engine is a SBC , LG4 305ci, ’86 (Caprice) , with electronic ignition.
    The three wires, coming from “relais”, “distr cap” and “regulator” are connected;
    The relais gives 12 V when key is in position 1, in order to activate the regulator, and giving 12 V to the distributor.
    Position 2 starts the engine, which suits me very well :)
    But, returning to pos 0, the engine keeps running …
    What is obviously wrong, or what can be wrong ?
    Thanks in advance,
    H.
    [​IMG]

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

the alternator is probably back feeding to the distributor. Unplug the alternator and see if it still does it. May need to put a diode or resistor in that circuit.

3. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

if you hook the alt excite wire up on the switch side of the relay it should fix the problem.

5. model B 32

model B 32

Thank you for this appreciated response.
    I'll try it.
    kind regards,
    H

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I may have made a mistake. Hooking it up like I mentioned above may not solve the problem as the alternator excite circuit will still feed voltage back to keep the relay energized and the motor running. Best bet would be the diode or resistor route like I mentioned first. An idiot light wired in series with the excite circuit will serve the same purpose and give you a light to tell you when the alternator is not charging.

7. model B 32

model B 32

as I just found out, the "returning current" ( to 15) indeed activates the relais, giving the same loop ...
    I also can connect the distr. to 75, ( 75 is fed by 30 in position 1 ) normally radio and acc , but I'm not sure wether this is ok or not.
    I'll get a diode.
    Thank you for thinking it over again.
    Kind regards,
    H.

8. oj

oj

I wouldn't think you'd need a relay in there unless there is a heavy load we aren't seeing.
    Shouldn't the altenator excitor run thru a lightbulb (alt) in series and that is how you break the circuit to shut the engine off? A diode connected as lobucrod suggested would work, I mention the idiot light in case you have one and it isn't connected as yet.